Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8/27/07 - Minor League Updates

Re: 8/27/07 - Minor League Updates

Tzu-Kai Chiu has been putting up fairly impressive numbers. Does anyone think there's reason to be excited about him? Maybe someone would put him in her/his top Reds prospects list?

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=423272
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Kai-Chiu.shtml

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    One question: Does Bruce use up an option if he is called up this year? The rosters expand from 25 to 40, so maybe you could explain to me why they would not make a roster move.
    I don't know if it counts as an option or not, although I wouldn't think it does.
    The reason they don't make the move is becuase they then would have to DFA someone from the current 40 man roster to make room for Jay, and well that leaves the player open to be picked up by any team that wants him at that point. The Reds probably wouldn't make that type of move just to get a guy onto the roster when they wouldn't play him anyways.

It's slightly optimistic to do this after a two homer game, but if he played a full major league season, Waring is on pace for over 40 homers and 40 doubles. The K rate is worth keeping an eye on, but how is this guy a 7th rounder? He and Francisco give us two seriously intriguing power prospects at the hot corner. I guess you could even throw Frazier into that mix if you wanted to.

Scouts said that Waring had a nice hole in his swing and he is coming from a very small school. Mix them together and he falls to the 7th round.

dougdirt i want it to be known that I enjoy your posts the most probably on redzone.... you and reds44 are my main sources of information that i trust the most!

I agree those two guys are a wealth of info, good job guys

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    One question: Does Bruce use up an option if he is called up this year? The rosters expand from 25 to 40, so maybe you could explain to me why they would not make a roster move.
    It is my understanding that it does not use an option to call a player up. It only counts when a player is optioned to the minors, a player like Votto would be "recalled", because he was optioned in spring training. Bruce would be "selected".
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    dougdirt i want it to be known that I enjoy your posts the most probably on redzone.... you and reds44 are my main sources of information that i trust the most!
    I concur. Until this recent surge in performance that has left me unsuccessful attempting to push thoughts of a division title out of my head, the minor league forum was about all I read on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    He and Francisco give us two seriously intriguing power prospects at the hot corner. I guess you could even throw Frazier into that mix if you wanted to.
    Francisco will not be a 3B for very long. He projects to a 1B or corner OF as he progresses through the system. But I agree with your general sentiment, Waring and Frazier are two guys to keep an eye on at the hot corner, and Francisco has true bell tower power.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    It is my understanding that it does not use an option to call a player up. It only counts when a player is optioned to the minors, a player like Votto would be "recalled", because he was optioned in spring training. Bruce would be "selected".
    That is 100% correct.

Clearing a 40 man spot shouldn't be a problem, Freel, Castro and Livingston are all out for the year and can be moved to the 60 day DL easily enough. Possibly Lopez as well. In fact I'd expect a couple of guys to get moved to the 60 day soon as the team prepares to set its playoff roster (I can't believe I just typed that).

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The reason they don't make the move is becuase they then would have to DFA someone from the current 40 man roster to make room for Jay, and well that leaves the player open to be picked up by any team that wants him at that point.
    How much longer until the Reds have to clear space on the 40-man for Bruce in order to protect him in the Rule V?

(I can never keep most of this service time stuff straight for minor leaguers)
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    How much longer until the Reds have to clear space on the 40-man for Bruce in order to protect him in the Rule V?

(I can never keep most of this service time stuff straight for minor leaguers)
    Several years. It won't matter though, as he will be up way before that day ever rolls around.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Tzu-Kai Chiu has been putting up fairly impressive numbers. Does anyone think there's reason to be excited about him? Maybe someone would put him in her/his top Reds prospects list?

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=423272
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...Kai-Chiu.shtml
    I'd like some more info on this guy too, he looks intriguing, and his numbers seem like they're there based on my horribly untrained eye. Prospects seem to be popping up everywhere for the Reds these days.

However, if you call up Bruce in Sep this year, you do burn an option is he is not on the roster next spring (as I assume he will not be). Esentially no reason to bring him up. I'd be shocked if he was.

ETA Jun/July of next season.....
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    However, if you call up Bruce in Sep this year, you do burn an option is he is not on the roster next spring (as I assume he will not be). Esentially no reason to bring him up. I'd be shocked if he was.

ETA Jun/July of next season.....
    That's exactly the approach I'd take plus you'd like to leave room on the 40 man roster to protect your Rule 5 eligibles and/or select someone(could the Reds get another Burton?). In addition, that approach could extend Bruce's arbitration eligibility one year. All these factors are important considerations especially for a small market team.

The only way I'd bring up Bruce in Sept is if the Reds definitely plan to start him everyday from opening day forward which I seriously doubt..

Turn Off Ads?