Francisco Cordero
    David Weathers
    Jared Burton
    Mike Stanton
    Bill Bray
    Todd Coffey
    Jeremy Affeldt

Fairly close to what I said a bit ago, with a couple glaring issues:

1 - Joey Votto at 1B, Hatte on the Bench. I see absolutely no reason to send Joey to AAA. He's a slow starter, but he still brings more to the position than Hatte. Hatte can play the bench role, so he moves there. Joey can hit later in the lineup until he heats up. IMO, he belongs in the 2-hole, but I'm sure Dusty sees him as a NON-BASE CLOGGER and wants him driving in runs.

2 - Belisle. As much as I've dogged on him, I can't see them sending him to AAA. He'd be good in the bullpen an spot starting. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe he's better off pitching every 5th day in AAA, but I don't see it. I think we go with 13 pitchers as well, given the NON-days off in April, we need more pitchers, early and often.

I also think we're going to have a better option at catcher than Bako. Something is in the works, and he'll be on the roster. I think that means Freel or Hopper is off the team. Having BOTH of those guys on the bench - along with Castro - gives us NO POP at all from their. I think Gil makes the team over Green, just a hunch.

Of course this would be MUCH different if AGON and Ross were healthy, but they aren't. I would hope that Juan F. Castro would not have a job if they were both on the team, but I still might be dreaming.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fay's 25 Man Roster guess

Id be ok with this, as long as when july comes around, you dump (Hatte and Patterson) and add (Votto and Bruce).
    WHEN DOES IT STOP!?!?

Dusty worries me about shortstop. I fear he will choose Castro as the starting SS over Keppinger.

were is the Rule 5 guy picked off waivers from Giants?

That is probably the way I think it will turn out as well but I would definitely give Votto a chance. He doesn't have much to prove in AAA. Bray making the team would be a positive, hopefully he has a good season. I would love to have Volquez and Cueto in the rotation by the way. That bench is pitiful

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Corey Patterson, CF
    Jeff Keppinger, SS
    Ken Griffey Jr., RF
    Brandon Phillips, 2B
    Adam Dunn, LF
    Edwin Encarnacion, 3B
    Scott Hatteberg, 1B
    Javier Valentin, C

The bench
    Norris Hopper
    Ryan Freel
    Juan Castro
    Paul Bako
    Andy Green

The starting rotation:
    Aaron Harang
    Bronson Arroyo
    Johnny Cueto
    Edinson Volquez
    Josh Fogg

The bullpen:
    Francisco Cordero
    David Weathers
    Jared Burton
    Mike Stanton
    Bill Bray
    Todd Coffey
    Jeremy Affeldt

Fairly close to what I said a bit ago, with a couple glaring issues:

1 - Joey Votto at 1B, Hatte on the Bench. I see absolutely no reason to send Joey to AAA. He's a slow starter, but he still brings more to the position than Hatte. Hatte can play the bench role, so he moves there. Joey can hit later in the lineup until he heats up. IMO, he belongs in the 2-hole, but I'm sure Dusty sees him as a NON-BASE CLOGGER and wants him driving in runs.

2 - Belisle. As much as I've dogged on him, I can't see them sending him to AAA. He'd be good in the bullpen an spot starting. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe he's better off pitching every 5th day in AAA, but I don't see it. I think we go with 13 pitchers as well, given the NON-days off in April, we need more pitchers, early and often.

I also think we're going to have a better option at catcher than Bako. Something is in the works, and he'll be on the roster. I think that means Freel or Hopper is off the team. Having BOTH of those guys on the bench - along with Castro - gives us NO POP at all from their. I think Gil makes the team over Green, just a hunch.

Of course this would be MUCH different if AGON and Ross were healthy, but they aren't. I would hope that Juan F. Castro would not have a job if they were both on the team, but I still might be dreaming.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

YAWN

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    YAWN
    Thanks for your well thought out, informative response. You really bring value to the discussion. This is what message boards are all about!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Dusty worries me about shortstop. I fear he will choose Castro as the starting SS over Keppinger.
    What about Centerfield/Leadoff? Surely Jay Bruce was given a fair shot at winning that job

Well, lucky for you you didn't take up that bet. Even with no terms, you had no chance at winning that one.

Let me guess - Patterson still hasn't made the 40-man or 25-man yet, right?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Thanks for your well thought out, informative response. You really bring value to the discussion. This is what message boards are all about!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Why post a novel like you do?

The 25 man roster is a yawner without Votto and Bruce.

Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by ChatterRed View Post
    Why post a novel like you do?

The 25 man roster is a yawner without Votto and Bruce.

Enough said.
    You could have said that instead. Guess you're saving words - but surely not FONT SIZE.

BTW, hardly a "novel". I posted Fay's lineup then added 3 points about the differences I see. Guess if you have ADD, that is considered a novel.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    were is the Rule 5 guy picked off waivers from Giants?
    Jose Capellan may not make the team. He has good numbers, but they aren't in high enough levels. Hopefully he can make an impression, but with the bullpen stronger this year it's not likely to amount to something.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

If Capellan don't make it they have to offer him back I think to Boston
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 03-21-2008 at 10:10 AM.

What about Centerfield/Leadoff? Surely Jay Bruce was given a fair shot at winning that job

Well, lucky for you you didn't take up that bet. Even with no terms, you had no chance at winning that one.

Let me guess - Patterson still hasn't made the 40-man or 25-man yet, right?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    He was given a fair shot, and Patterson played better. The difference between us is that I think Centerfield was always an open competition, and you think Patterson was a lock once he was signed by the Reds to a minor league deal. Patterson hit .440 in spring training, Bruce .262. Bruce had to have a Hamiltonesque spring training and really impress to be the Opening Day Center Fielder. The starting position will go the person who earned it in spring training, and Corey Patterson has earned it by playing better than his competition.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He was given a fair shot, and Patterson played better. The difference between us is that I think Centerfield was always an open competition, and you think Patterson was a lock once he was signed by the Reds to a minor league deal. Patterson hit .440 in spring training, Bruce .262. Bruce had to have a Hamiltonesque spring training and really impress to be the Opening Day Center Fielder. The starting position will go the person who earned it in spring training, and Corey Patterson has earned it by playing better than his competition.
    Of course I/we can never prove this, but I GUARANTEE that Bruce could have hit .440 and Patteron .262 and Bruce would still be starting in AAA.

There was more going on than "who had the best Spring". To think otherwise is being VERY Naive.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

part of BBN

Dusty just said Bailey is still in mix for rotation spot( presumably only one up for grabs now)
    I am sorta surprised the Reds havent announced otherwise if Fogg truly is the one to take it.

Turn Off Ads?