Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Farm system gets shake-up

Farm system gets shake-up

JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

General manager Wayne Krivsky continued to put his stamp on the organization, firing eight members of the minor-league staff.

Among those whose contracts were not renewed: field coordinator Tim Naehring, assistant director of player director Grant Griesser and Double-A Chattanooga manager Jayhawk Owens.

Naehring and Griesser were in their seventh year and Owens his sixth with the organization.

"I didn't see this coming," Naehring said. "I heard two weeks ago that Wayne was unhappy with some things on the minor-league level. I didn't think it would come to this. But I'm not stupid. I know anything can happen."

Naehring, a LaSalle High and Miami University graduate, served as director of player development from 2001-2005. He was moved to his on-field role under Krivsky.

Naehring, who played eight years with the Boston Red Sox, wouldn't go into specifics about his firing. He did say that Krivsky, not player development director Terry Reynolds, made the call.

"I don't want to get into it because I'll snap," Naehring said. "I know what kind of job I did. I had a good relationship with my boss, Terry Reynolds. He was appreciative of the job I did. We had a very good year on the minor-league level. I'm proud of what Jay Bruce was able to accomplish."

Griesser, an Oak Hills High and Miami graduate, served in the No. 2 role under Naehring while he was player development director. He continued in that role under Johnny Almaraz and Reynolds.

Owens, a Glen Este High graduate, was the Southern League Manager of the Year in 2004, when he led the Lookouts to an organization-best 81-69 record.

"Every season you evaluate your players and your staff," Krivsky said. "It's one of those unfortunate things that you don't like as part of the job. It was a change we felt had to be made. I wish them well. They worked hard and had the best interests of the Reds at heart.

"At the same time, we're going in a different direction."

The Reds also did not renew the contracts of roving instructor Rick Burleson; roving hitting instructor Jim Hickman; outfield/base-running coordinator Lynn Jones; and Billings coach Ricardo Cuevas. The club also announced that Chattanooga pitching coach Grant Jackson is retiring.

Krivsky wasn't sure if the Reds would replace all of the positions.

HAMILTON VS. LEFTY: Josh Hamilton was in the Reds' starting lineup Tuesday against Cardinals left-hander Mark Mulder. Hamilton had been strictly platooning in center field with Norris Hopper.

"I've got to play him against lefties," Reds manager Pete Mackanin said, "to see how he plays against lefties."

Hamilton was all for it.

"Can't wait," he said. "It's something I should've been doing if I want to play every day."

Mackanin said the plan is to play Joey Votto against left-handers as well. Votto wasn't in the starting lineup Tuesday because Jorge Cantu came in 4-for-6 with two home runs off Mulder.

SATURDAY STARTER: Left-hander Phil Dumatrait was listed as Saturday's starter. But it sounds as if that will change.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Farm system gets shake-up

I don't know what to think about it. I guess only time will tell depending on future results of the minor leagues and development of players.

The one thing it does likely tell us is that WK will be here in 2008 and probably beyond. If Castellini had plans to replace him, he'd have not allowed him to tear up the system.

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    The one thing it does likely tell us is that WK will be here in 2008 and probably beyond. If Castellini had plans to replace him, he'd have not allowed him to tear up the system.
    Which, in my opinion, is a good thing. Continuity is needed to run a successful organization, and slowly but surely, it looks like Wayne is improving our minor league program.

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

"I don't want to get into it because I'll snap," Naehring said. "I know what kind of job I did. I had a good relationship with my boss, Terry Reynolds. He was appreciative of the job I did. We had a very good year on the minor-league level. I'm proud of what Jay Bruce was able to accomplish."
    Dont know much about Naehring but to put Jay Bruce's name on your resume on the way out is weak. Yes Bruce could turn into a great player, but his talent is head and shoulders among others. For the reds to be successful they have to consistently mold good baseball players out of their second tier prospects. This organizations failings are largly due to its inability to produce consistent back end starters, effective middle relievers, and quality backup or bench players.
    Last edited by Orenda; 09-13-2007 at 09:48 AM.

Ya can't teach speed...

I found the JB comment odd as well. Granted, superstars like what Bruce seems to be don't come along very often; and players don't advance like he does very often either but it seems like Naehring would want to have more than one player in 7 years to brag about. I think I might have thrown Votto, Bailey, Cueto, et al into the conversation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    Dont know much about Naehring but to put Jay Bruce's name on your resume on the way out is weak. Yes Bruce could turn into a great player, but his talent is head and shoulders among others. For the reds to be successful they have to consistently mold good baseball players out of their second tier prospects. This organizations failings are largly due to its inability to produce consistent back end starters, effective middle relievers, and quality backup or bench players.

Good....trim the dead wood. This minor league organization of the Reds needed a shake-up. You can make a real good argument that the Reds farm system has not produced a "real" starting pitcher since Tom Browning. If Homer works out, it was a no brainer anyway, because he was a 1st round "no miss" kind of guy.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

dont forget Brett Tomko

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    dont forget Brett Tomko
    I don't count Tomko....neither do most ML hitters...
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Turn Off Ads?