Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotation?

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    I think alot of people are clamoring for change, just for changes sake. The Reds were by far the best team in the division. No need for any significant changes.
    2010: RS 790 RA 685
    2011: RS 735 RA 720
    2012: RS 669 RA 588

Here's the rib. The pitching in 2012 was PERFECT. It was so good, a team that scored 66 fewer runs, but allowed 132 less, won the division easily (albeit outplaying their pythag).

If you think they can repeat that pitching performance in 2013, then yes. You can afford to carry the Stubbs' Cairos, Valdezes, etc. (Or maybe not even, the offensive could easily be WORSE in 2013 with the current roster, we saw it in Sept).

Personally, I don't think the pitching lightning will strike twice. The team is almost certain to give up more runs in 2013, which even if its only 30-40 (which would still be very good), leaves you needing to score a lot more.
    It would help if you made some changes conducive to scoring a bit more, say another 50 runs or so.

I think that's why a lot of people around here are wary of the status quo. I know I'm a worrying sort, but hey...some has to be, right?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: mlb.com article saying Hamilton may be up sooner than later, and Chapman to rotat

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    2010: RS 790 RA 685
    2011: RS 735 RA 720
    2012: RS 669 RA 588

Personally, I don't think the pitching lightning will strike twice. The team is almost certain to give up more runs in 2013, which even if its only 30-40 (which would still be very good), leaves you needing to score a lot more.
    It would help if you made some changes conducive to scoring a bit more, say another 50 runs or so.

I think that's why a lot of people around here are wary of the status quo. I know I'm a worrying sort, but hey...some has to be, right?
    This is certainly a fair comment. I think even the status quo has some upside though. We got almost nothing out of LF in the beginning of the season. We lost Votto for 6 weeks, and when he came back he had no power. Frasier is likely to regress a bit, and I think we will have a hard time duplicating Rolen and Ludwick's post ASB production (but they gave us little in the beginning of the season). Hamilton will likely be up at some point, he doesn't have to do much to be an upgrade in CF. On the pitching side, Leake and Homer may improve a bit. I'm don't really expect the other starters to significantly get worse (maybe they will regress a litte). We do need some SP depth as we can't assume no one will miss a start though. The bullpen may regress a bit next year, hard to say.

If all the Reds do this season is sign a decent RH reliever to fill in the Brox role and and get a cleanup hitter at LF or 3b to replace Ludwick, I will be satisfied. Those are the most glaring needs, imo.. An upgrade in CF would be nice, but not critical. (I don't want to spend a lot of resources addressing CF with BHam on the horizon).
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

How many career years happened in 2012?

I count at least 8.

That's a bunch of assuming they're going to do just as well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

I count at least 8.

To be fair, how many of those years were done by young players who generally continue to perform better up until about 27-30 where they peak?

Jamie Ramsey just said again, more or less, the plan is for the Reds to find a closer and move Chapman to the rotation.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

I count at least 8.

Possibly non repeatable years:
    Frasier
    Ludwick
    Paul
    Simon

Who's on your list? Just curious, not disagreeing.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

-The Insider-

Who is Frasier?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    Who is Frasier?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUH3Gd9qAA

While I've got nothing against giving Hamilton every chance to impress in ST, there's got to be another option on the table and it can't be Stubbs (at least not vs. RHPs).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Just reading the tea leaves but based on the sum total of media reports lately I think the Reds are really committing to moving Chapman to the rotation this time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Just reading the tea leaves but based on the sum total of media reports lately I think the Reds are really committing to moving Chapman to the rotation this time.
    As I have been saying since 2010.... I will believe it when I see it. Until then, I have no faith in it. I don't recall seeing Dusty ever say anything about Chapman other than talk about him as a reliever.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    As I have been saying since 2010.... I will believe it when I see it. Until then, I have no faith in it. I don't recall seeing Dusty ever say anything about Chapman other than talk about him as a reliever.
    Totally understandable POV.

Considering Chapman was a starter this spring until Madson's injury, it's not much of a leap of faith.

I don't know why it's so hard to fathom they prefer putting him in the rotation. They had three key injuries to relievers this year and had five capable starters. They moved him out of nothing more than necessity.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I'm with you on this one, I'll believe it when I see it. I strongly believe Dusty is pushing for Chapman to remain in the bullpen. To me, it's a no-brainer to at least try Chapman as a starter because the reward far outweighs the risk. He can always go back to the bullpen if it doesn't work out.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Jocketty has ben quoted as saying that Chapman will be prepared as a starter because Bryan Price feels strongly he can start. I'd count on it happening, barring the unexpected injury or two. Dusty's not driving the bus on this one -- it's Jocketty's time now.

Turn Off Ads?