Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Phillips stirs controversy

Phillips stirs controversy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Phillips stirs controversy

Well...

It may not be the best idea to that he’s yapping his mouth, but I think he is saying what a lot of people think about the Cardinals. Certainly Reds fans.

I'd rather see Phillips say that he thinks the Reds are a better team and they would prove it on the field (as he has a lot of young kids who look up to him), but to each his own.

I don't hate that he did this though.

Does any Reds pitcher have the cojones to bean Pujols? Just once. Send a message...hit Pujols square on the tush.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 08-10-2010 at 02:40 AM.

I love that he said it. Going 0-5 and striking out to end the game isn't so good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

There are so many former Cards on the Reds, and former Reds on the Cards that it's hard to understand the hatred for the other team. The Cubs....well they are the Cubs. The Reds and Cards have a lot of similarities though. I'm not crazy about what Colby Rasmus said earlier in the season. I think that was wrong, and I don't think Phillips should have made those comments either. It means more when you make a statement on the field.

I'm not a fan trash talk myself, no matter who's doing the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Agreed, it's almost always lame, show it on the field.

I'm sure the Cardinals are really bothered by it
    Go Gators!

I agree. I prefer the players keep quiet and just play the game. I'm sure Scott Rolen will have a talk with Phillips, assuming he hasn't already. I agree with some of the stuff Phillips said though. It's gotta be hard not to say something after hearing Lopez and Rasmus talk trash about the Reds and having to constantly hear Carpenter complain about something.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-10-2010 at 03:09 AM.

All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

After all the crap that they've accused the Reds of (thinking that incident with Bronson last year), complained about with the umps and field crew while playing us rather than just taking a loss like any other team I can understand there being some animosity there. The crap that Carpenter pulled today, showing up his own player like that just goes to highlight how differently these two clubs operate. I can only imagine what the Reds in the dugout thought of Carpenter's antics.

And why not speak his mind. Baseball gets a reputation for being the most boring of the three major North American professional sports, and a lot of it is because there is nary a semblance of rivalry outside of New York/Boston. Even though Votto's previous comments on the Cubs turned out to be in jest I wouldn't have minded if they were 100% serious. I'm positive these comments are being said with real conviction, and I like them as well.

edit: The less Brandon & Co. censor themselves in what they say (as long as it is backed by results in the long-term), the more people in this city and Tri-State area will realize that there is actually another show in town besides the two-headed hype machine next door.
    Last edited by sabometrics; 08-10-2010 at 03:33 AM.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Frankly, I thinnk the timing is very poor and demonstrates poor judgement on his part. Do your talking with your performance on the field. That's when it really makes a difference.

I wish he hasn't said it, but I have to agree with what he said, and I'm glad someone said it. Someone needed to say it, The Cardinals make themselves the easiest team to hate in the NL and are closing in on the Red Sox and Yankees.

However, this notion that something someone said is clubhouse fodder is just horsepuckey. The Cardinals didn't need any special motivation to whip some Reds butt on Monday, and it's not like they will try harder on Tuesday because of what Phillips said.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Seriously this stuff happens 5 times every week during a football season and no one bats an eye. One baseball player speaks his mind and we all put our heads in the air and claim it's irreverent to the game. Why the double standard I don't know, but I for one welcome more dynamic personalities to speak their minds in this sport.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Seriously, what did he accomplish by mouthing off like he did? And again, the timing was horrible.

What he did will hardly impact either teams' chances either way. They're just words.

But they sure do make following baseball more interesting.

For example, as much as I hate Carpenter for being a crybaby who won't hesitate to go off on anyone that is in the recent vicinity of his mound on any given day, I appreciate that he's playing the game, and playing it with fire. It makes watching these two teams more interesting. Same goes for our guys that like to jaw a little bit here and there.

Here is the original story from Hal McCoy.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...eds/index.html

Turn Off Ads?