Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The first 12 games of 2012 were worse...

Re: The first 12 games of 2012 were worse...

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    They scored 7 runs yesterday.

They are averaging over 5 runs a game.

They have scored 5+ runs a game in 7 of their games.
    We also just ended an 0-26 streak with w/RISP, that just happened to coincide with our current 5-game losing streak. Some of our offensive numbers are skewed because of a couple outbursts. When you follow up a 9-run inning with an 0-26 streak with men in scoring position, one looks like the rule and the other looks like the exception. Hopefully we get it fixed, starting tonight. Pitching and injuries are an issue also, but I've seen nothing to convince me our hitting w/RISP issues have been fixed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the goal for the offense is to score runs, then they are doing a fine job of it.

Blowouts tend to even out over the season.

What is a little weird, is that you don't give them credit for the runs the score with RISP, because it's a small sample size (I guess), but you don't want to move that over to K's.

It's all a small sample size.
    Last edited by Raisor; 04-15-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Pitching and injuries are an issue also, but I've seen nothing to convince me our hitting w/RISP issues have been fixed.
    Except for the Runs scored that is...

If the goal for the offense is to score runs, then they are doing a fine job of it.
    Blowouts tend to even out over the season.
    Might be doing a little better if they could put it in play with runners on. You never know what might happen if you put a little pressure on the D.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Bottom line is they are only 2 games out. It's still way early for any team to panic (except the Marlins, but they knew this was coming), but no doubt losing Cueto stings.

Still, if the Reds can ride out the storm and keep within striking distance they will be fine.

I know that announcers like to hammer us with BATTING AVERAGE WITH RISP at every opportunity, but let's look at the numbers that matter a little more, at least in my opinion:

The Reds are tied for 1st in the NL with TOTAL number of baserunners - that's good.
    The Reds are tied for 4th in the NL with number of baserunners scored - that's pretty good.
    The Reds are tied for 8th in the NL in percentage of baserunners scored - that's exactly league average.

What I take away from this is that the Reds are getting a lot of runners on base but doing a mediocre - not terrible - job of getting them home. The other thing I take away from this is that we're only 12 games into the season so I'm not worried. I also don't care about BA or Ks with RISP because there are better stats we could look at.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Except for the Runs scored that is...
    That doesn't change the fact we're on a 5-game losing streak that included an 0-26 streak w/RISP. You can pretend we'll continue to score runs while leading the league in K w/RISP, but I have a feeling that won't happen. It's just one of our problems, but it's a problem that's been ongoing for quite some time now.

I'll ask you this, which offense do you think is more indicative of this team's production for an entire season -- the one that scored 9 runs in the 9th at STL, or the one that leads the league in K w/RISP?

I'll ask you this, which offense do you think is more indicative of this team's production for an entire season -- the one that scored 9 runs in the 9th at STL, or the one that leads the league in K w/RISP?
    Probably neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Please do a search for KRISP.

It was a "stat" that a former poster here did.

I'm not getting into that again.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I know that announcers like to hammer us with BATTING AVERAGE WITH RISP at every opportunity, but let's look at the numbers that matter a little more, at least in my opinion:

The Reds are tied for 1st in the NL with TOTAL number of baserunners - that's good.
    The Reds are tied for 4th in the NL with number of baserunners scored - that's pretty good.
    The Reds are tied for 8th in the NL in percentage of baserunners scored - that's exactly league average.

What I take away from this is that the Reds are getting a lot of runners on base but doing a mediocre - not terrible - job of getting them home. The other thing I take away from this is that we're only 12 games into the season so I'm not worried. I also don't care about BA or Ks with RISP because there are better stats we could look at.
    Despite our woes with runners on base, we've scored the 6th most R/G in MLB. I still think us fans are having a hard time adjusting to this lower run scoring environment. Assuming health, the offense isn't going to be a problem -- especially once the timing issues even out. The LOB issue is essentially a function of having 4 guys who are hitting like mad and 4 who aren't hitting at all. A bit less on the extremes would be helpful. But if our pitching was doing its job, nobody would be worried.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-15-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The Reds scored more runs than the Giants during the NLDS last year.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Yankees outscored the Pirates 55-27 in the 1960 world series.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Which speaks more to the volatility of a short series than anything else.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

High five!

Oh no, I saw it. Just b/c you post some numbers that contradict some other numbers doesn't really do much for me w/o an explanation of what you think they mean. Thanks for the clarification, however I don't agree.

Average runs per game doesn't prove anything to me really. A couple of outliers can skew that number.
    Outliers can't skew the strikeout numbers too?

Leading The Bigs in K's w/ RISP is enexcusable though.
    Not even if you lead the league with PA/RISP? The Reds are #1 with 147. SF is #2 with 139.

The Reds started the first week of baseball vs two teams that are predicted to win their divisions (Angels, Nats). We won both series, everything was clicking for us, and everybody was ecstatic at the team's play. Yeah baby!

We turned in a horrific second week vs Cards and Pirates where nothing went right, and some are questioning what's wrong with this team.

It's gonna another long season on RZ LOL
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

17. Likes:

Brisco (04-16-2013),HeatherC1212 (04-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?