Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: UK Football 2011 Thread

Re: UK Football 2011 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I knew you were underselling Tee Martin, Sea Ray. He was hired away yesterday by Southern Cal to assume the same position he occupied at UK (WR Coach). I do think your next staff after Dooley is fired will try to hire him back away from USC. He just destroys it in the south. At UT he would be a recruiting juggernaut. LOL - hopefully he'll stay at USC.

Things continue to look bleaker and bleaker under Joker Phillips.

Seeing Mike Leach at Washington State is just depressing. Maybe we can trade Mitch Barnhardt for Leach??!
    UK actually made a better counteroffer in terms of money and he still went with USC. Can hardly blame him though.

What makes it sad though is that Tee is a class guy. I hate seeing him getting mixed up with Lane Kiffin.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    part of BBN

I will let someone else start a 2012 thread but I will say this...according to the pics some have posted on facebook (I have trouble posting pics on this site or I would post one), looks like a very small crowd at the Spring game. I doubt over 2,000. Course there's a lot of factors like weather etc but still....Joker's year 3 not off to a good start attendance wise.

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    I will let someone else start a 2012 thread but I will say this...according to the pics some have posted on facebook (I have trouble posting pics on this site or I would post one), looks like a very small crowd at the Spring game. I doubt over 2,000. Course there's a lot of factors like weather etc but still....Joker's year 3 not off to a good start attendance wise.
    Joker has had a lot of players leave the team as well, the latest being Brandon Gainer.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

No one thinks Joker is a good coach, at least no one that will be objective about it.

But then again its football in a basketball state. Beat a couple rivals early in the season until hoops start and thats good enough.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I'm afraid they're going to be bad. Hopefully they can at least put together a credible passing attack this season. Spring game looked somewhat promising on that front.

There is a lot of young talent on UK. I'm honestly clueless on what Barnhardt's contingency play is with Joker, or if there even is one. Does 4 wins get Joker canned? They will be underdogs in 9 games.

The next coach could be stepping into a decent situation talent wise, but it also would not surprise me to see Joker win 3-4 games and be retained another season. Unfortunately, I have seen very little out of Joker that makes me believe he is going to be able to get it done on any acceptable level at UK (which is obviously a different standard from the basketball team).

They are going 2-10 and Joker's done for.

That's why Tee jumped ship.

It's gonna be an awful year

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I'm afraid they're going to be bad. Hopefully they can at least put together a credible passing attack this season. Spring game looked somewhat promising on that front.

There is a lot of young talent on UK. I'm honestly clueless on what Barnhardt's contingency play is with Joker, or if there even is one. Does 4 wins get Joker canned? They will be underdogs in 9 games.

The next coach could be stepping into a decent situation talent wise, but it also would not surprise me to see Joker win 3-4 games and be retained another season. Unfortunately, I have seen very little out of Joker that makes me believe he is going to be able to get it done on any acceptable level at UK (which is obviously a different standard from the basketball team).
    If Matt Roark doesn't become Tim Tebow and end the streak against Tennessee, Joker has an even shorter leash.

I think they win three games this season, none in the SEC, and that is what gets Joker canned. And even then, what is out there? I'm hoping Arkansas hires Charlie Strong so UK can make a run at Gus Malzahn.

Honestly...I'm afraid we're going to lose to WKU.

They almost beat us last year, and quite frankly...I'm not convinced that we won't be worse this year.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    If Matt Roark doesn't become Tim Tebow and end the streak against Tennessee, Joker has an even shorter leash.

I think they win three games this season, none in the SEC, and that is what gets Joker canned. And even then, what is out there? I'm hoping Arkansas hires Charlie Strong so UK can make a run at Gus Malzahn.
    Arky hired John L. Smith back from Weber St. on an interim basis. They'll probably have a good season and be stuck with him and both Strong and Malzhan will be available.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Honestly...I'm afraid we're going to lose to WKU.

They almost beat us last year, and quite frankly...I'm not convinced that we won't be worse this year.
    Wouldn't be surprised either. If that happens Joker may as well get the moving vans ready. Really, I can't see UK winning more than 4 games and that's probably a stretch.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Arky hired John L. Smith back from Weber St. on an interim basis. They'll probably have a good season and be stuck with him and both Strong and Malzhan will be available.
    Weber St sure got screwed in all of this. Losing your coach who hasn't even coached a game for you for an interim job?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Weber St sure got screwed in all of this. Losing your coach who hasn't even coached a game for you for an interim job?
    No kidding. You wouldn't think an alumni would do that to you.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Word out of Lexington is that this is the make-or-break year for Joker.

No bowl, no job.

No attendance, no job-- even if the team does go to a bowl.

While the first item doesn't surprise me, the second one sure does. And, in some circles, that seems to be the driving force.

Supposedly, Barnhart and company have a short list that starts with... Charlie Strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Supposedly, Barnhart and company have a short list that starts with... Charlie Strong.
    Now THIS surprises me.

I'll admit I dislike Louisville as much as any UK fan, but this isn't basketball we are talking about.

I know Strong wasn't happy about the press coverage of Louisville's spring practices, but what makes you think its going to be any better in Lexington with John Calipari as the head coach? Louisville also has a newer stadium and better practice facilities, which is something Rich Brooks constantly complained about his entire time in Lexington.

If Strong wins the Big East this year and he will have a very good shot at it, he will be in the mix for a better job than Kentucky.

UK needs an up and coming assistant or a head coach at a mid-major school with a gimmick offense that will put fans in the seats. Malzahn makes the most sense, as he has coached in the SEC, but is more likely to take over at Arkansas if the wheels fall off this season.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

If Strong wins the Big East this year and he will have a very good shot at it, he will be in the mix for a better job than Kentucky.

UK needs an up and coming assistant or a head coach at a mid-major school with a gimmick offense that will put fans in the seats. .
    Agree with both these points. Strong with any success would bolt from Ky for a better job like he more than likely will from Louisville at some point. I always thought Joker with his Ky ties, would be a good one to stick around for quite awhile spurning other offers. Course I was assuming continuing the winning after he took over where he would actually get offers.

Turn Off Ads?