Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hypothetical regarding Cingrani

Hypothetical regarding Cingrani

Say he has a great start on Thursday - is Leake's spot in danger? What if it follows another poor outing from Leake on Wednesday?

What about two good starts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hypothetical regarding Cingrani

I think Leake's spot was in danger before the season started. He is a soft tosser that is not deceptive enough to succeed over a long period in the majors. I think he will be out of baseball within 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think Leake's spot was in danger before the season started. He is a soft tosser that is not deceptive enough to succeed over a long period in the majors. I think he will be out of baseball within 3 years.
    With guys like Alfredo Simon and Manny Parra in the bullpen, no reason to think Leake can't play for plenty of more years. Also he could eat up innings when JJ Hoover gets sent down, when, not if.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    With guys like Alfredo Simon and Manny Parra in the bullpen, no reason to think Leake can't play for plenty of more years. Also he could eat up innings when JJ Hoover gets sent down, when, not if.
    Manny Parra would be out of baseball if he were not left handed.

Alfredo Simons throws harder and was very close to being out of baseball and probably will be in a couple years. The good season he put up last year for the Reds was most likely a fluke.

Soft Tossers very rarely last in the majors, and Leake doesn't have good enough stuff to make up for it.

Manny Parra would be out of baseball if he were not left handed.

Alfredo Simons throws harder and was very close to being out of baseball and probably will be in a couple years. The good season he put up last year for the Reds was most likely a fluke.

Soft Tossers very rarely last in the majors, and Leake doesn't have good enough stuff to make up for it.
    If u are left handed soft tosser u can last forever but leake is not. If cingrani is blowing people away he will stay in the rotation if leake continues to struggle but I still like leake alot he has barley pitched in the minors still a lot of potential .

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4486 View Post
    If u are left handed soft tosser u can last forever but leake is not. If cingrani is blowing people away he will stay in the rotation if leake continues to struggle but I still like leake alot he has barley pitched in the minors still a lot of potential .
    Yes, I understand leake is not left handed - that was my point. Soft tossing righties with little deception do not last very long in the majors.

Yes, I understand leake is not left handed - that was my point. Soft tossing righties with little deception do not last very long in the majors.
    If he has, as has been suggested, some extra velocity in his back pocket, he may want to take it out and try it in his next start.

I think that if Cingrani does have a good start, then you have to keep him in the rotation. Having a lefty starter would mix things up plus I think that Leake would be sufficient in our depleted bullpen as a long reliever like LeCure and Simon who is struggling recently.

Quote Originally Posted by BungleBengals View Post
    I think that if Cingrani does have a good start, then you have to keep him in the rotation. Having a lefty starter would mix things up plus I think that Leake would be sufficient in our depleted bullpen as a long reliever like LeCure and Simon who is struggling recently.
    I think if Cingrani works out you have to trade Leake for a decent part. A hard throwing reliever would be perfect. I do not see how Leake coming out of the bullpen is a good idea, you want someone to come in who either blows by the competition with a hard fastball or a dominant breaking ball. Leake has 4 average pitches, that is the makeup of a borderline 5th starter, not a bullpen arm. Trade him while he is worth anything, I fear in a very short time he is going to have no trade value.

Leake just has to be to perfect with his command. Doesn't miss any bats. Has no two strike pitch.
    "Me carrying a briefcase is like a hotdog wearing earrings." Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by boiseheidleberg View Post
    Leake just has to be to perfect with his command. Doesn't miss any bats. Has no two strike pitch.
    Exactly, and most of the time he is not perfect. He is the type of pitcher that puts up random good performance every 5 starts or so that make you think he can really be something at the major league level. The fact is he will never be anything at the major league level other than a mop-up man (and that is if he is lucky).

I hope Cingrani pitches well enough that there's a decision to be made! The rotation could definitely use a lefty!

I disagree. Leake has shown enough success and there's such a shortage of starting pitching that he will get plenty of chances, even if the Reds give up on him.

Josh Fogg pitched 8 seasons from age 25-32, despite a career ERA of 5.03

Leake is only 25 now. Career ERA of 4.29. Unless he has a serious injury, he can easily stay in the game until age 30-34.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I disagree. Leake has shown enough success and there's such a shortage of starting pitching that he will get plenty of chances, even if the Reds give up on him.

Josh Fogg pitched 8 seasons from age 25-32, despite a career ERA of 5.03

Leake is only 25 now. Career ERA of 4.29. Unless he has a serious injury, he can easily stay in the game until age 30-34.
    Fogg's last two seasons he was mostly in triple A and pitched a combined 125 innings.

It is a good point though, I will rephrase my comment - Leake will be a fringe major league pitcher jumping between triple A and MLB within three years.

Turn Off Ads?