Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would it take to get Andrew McCutchen?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

What would it take to get Andrew McCutchen?

Before all the bashing starts, THIS IS JUST FOR FUN, PEOPLE. Okay? The same topics have been up for weeks, and thought it might be nice to have something to have fun with.

I realize he is signed through 2017 for $51M and the Pirates would be stupid to trade him. I also realize that the Reds have Choo and then have Hamilton on the way. I realize this is as far-fetched as it comes. But the Pirates just put Hanrahan, their closer, on the market since he's arb eligible and gonna get a pay raise. So what if you could overwhelm the Pirates with an offer? This has about the same chance as obtaining Giancarlo Stanton. But just for fun, okay?

I guess the first question is: If you COULD get McCutchen, who would you rather have for CF - Hamilton or McCutchen (seems like a no-brainer to me)?

Second question: What would it take in trade to get McCutchen?

I'm guessing it obviously would start with Hamilton.

Hamilton, Stephenson, Corcino, Neftali Soto, Ondrusek, Rogers

Whew. 3 potential major league starters. 1 major league reliever, minor league closer experience. 1 potential major league first baseman with power. And the prize prospect of the Reds and one of the top in MLB. Is it too much or too little? Might have to throw in Lutz. Not sure I would do it. It would decimate the Reds farm system to a point.

Edit: Everytime I see the Pirates looking to cut payroll or trade a key piece, I feel so sorry for McCutchen. Same goes for Stanton in Miami. Two good to great players who are stuck on bad teams. It's a shame. McCutchen probably signed that deal thinking the Pirates were seriously going to try and contend.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What would it take to get Andrew McCutchen?

I don't know how far out the idea is. Pirates' management can only keep up the charade that they're trying to contend for so long. Sooner or later, serious disillusionment will set in, and when that happens, anything goes.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

If Pirates didn't buy on that trade in OP they really are delusional. That's one heck of a haul.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    If Pirates didn't buy on that trade in OP they really are delusional. That's one heck of a haul.
    Yeah. After I posted it, I reread it and thought I was crazy.

Then again, you'd have to overwhelm them to even get them to the table.

The real dream would be obtaining McCutchen for CF, re-signing Choo to play LF, trading Ludwick, and having 2 high OBP with speed and power at the top of the lineup. That would be unreal.

.......and then trade Bruce and whatever's left of our farm system for Stanton.

LF Choo (LH)
    CF McCutchen (RH)
    1B Votto (LH)
    RF Stanton (RH)

OMG would that lineup hit for average, mash some HR's, steal some bases, and score alot of runs. It almost wouldn't be fair.

If only we were the Yankees. As it is, we're Cincinnati and you can't trade that many young (potentially cheap) players for another expensive one.

Can't imagine the Pirates would trade McCutchen.

If they did, I'd think a package of Hamilton, Stephenson, and Corcino would make them think twice.

Problem with that trade from a Reds POV is that it would further frame out a "window" of contention. 2013-2015 would be great. After that, the wheels could fall of the wagon quickly.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The real dream would be obtaining McCutchen for CF, re-signing Choo to play LF, trading Ludwick, and having 2 high OBP with speed and power at the top of the lineup. That would be unreal.

.......and then trade Bruce and whatever's left of our farm system for Stanton.

LF Choo (LH)
    CF McCutchen (RH)
    1B Votto (LH)
    RF Stanton (RH)

OMG would that lineup hit for average, mash some HR's, steal some bases, and score alot of runs. It almost wouldn't be fair.
    The Reds would be like the baseball equivalent of The King and His Court!

Move Choo to the grass between 3rd and 2nd while Stanton and McCuthen cover the outfied. Votto's got the right side of the infield. All you need is a pitcher and a catcher - fielding six guys may be the only way they could afford it!
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Can't imagine the Pirates would trade McCutchen.

If they did, I'd think a package of Hamilton, Stephenson, and Corcino would make them think twice.

Problem with that trade from a Reds POV is that it would further frame out a "window" of contention. 2013-2015 would be great. After that, the wheels could fall of the wagon quickly.
    This is true.I wouldn't want to trade Stephenson at this point anyway. I don't think his value is as high as what he could someday provide.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

What would it take? First and foremost a much larger budget or a shedding of a ton of salary.

The Jays have done a lot of trading prospects and upping salary to acquire great talent. It's not that insane. But the money's not there for the Reds. (or?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    .....fielding six guys may be the only way they could afford it!
    Meh. I disagree. And here's why:

Bruce: 2013: $5M 2014: $7.5M 2015: $10M 2016: $12M 2017: $12.5M
    Stanton: 2013: minimum 2014: arbitration......you could probably sign Stanton to a contract similar to Bruce's at this point.

Ludwick: $7M for 3 years.
    Choo: definitely going to get an increase, probably in the $12-$15M range per season?

Subtract Ludwick and Bruce, add an under control Stanton similar to Bruce's contract eventually, and add Choo's increase, and it's a slight increase, nothing more. McCutchen is reasonable considering.

And the Reds probably set attendance records and get a very, very good TV deal.

Okay. This is all for fun. Remember that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Meh. I disagree. And here's why:

Bruce: 2013: $5M 2014: $7.5M 2015: $10M 2016: $12M 2017: $12.5M
    Stanton: 2013: minimum 2014: arbitration......you could probably sign Stanton to a contract similar to Bruce's at this point.
    Ummmm.... No. Not even close.

I doubt the Reds would trade Hamilton for McCutchen. Oh, I'd do it as a baseball trade in a heartbeat.

And even the marketing potential of Hamilton wouldn't stand in my way, Cutch (as they call him) has plenty marketing potential.

It's just that Hamilton is so inexpensive right now. Given his ability, his marketing potential, AND his inexpensive contract status, he's probably about untouchable.

The Reds could get McCutchen by trading hope and a prayer throwing in a pile of pixie dust to be named later. There is 0% chance the Pirates make a deal to a divisional rival for their best player.

Turn Off Ads?