Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Car GPS Devices

Car GPS Devices

I'm mulling over buying a GPS device for the car as a Christmas present. Does anyone have any experience with these things? I don't want one that's too fancy; text to speech and real-time traffic capability are about the only two things I'd like it to have. I've done a little reserch but was wondering what advice anyone here may be able to provide.

Best Buy has a deal going on the Tom Tom One XLS. That has the text to speech and has the capability for the traffic updates. I've seen some mixed reviews on it though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Car GPS Devices

I don't have one, but my brother has a Garmin. He uses it all the time, all over the country. Loves it.

I have seen it make an occasional mistake, but overall I have been impressed with it.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

High five!

We have the TomTom One. Got it over a year ago when we had just moved here. I think it works really well. You have to get used to its directions because it really means what it says. "Exit right, then, go straight on" and "keep left, then keep right"...it really means it!

For the most part, very useful!

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

I bought the Garmin Nuvi 650 about 6 weeks ago, and I love it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=8671

Quick little link to the Garmin site to give you the features, specs, etc.

Not sure on your price range, but I would highly highly recommend this unit.

I compared probably 10 different Garmin units, at least 6 Tom Toms, and 3 or 4 Magellans, and this was the one that I felt had everything I wanted at the price I could afford.

I have a Garmin 340. It's a hair more expensive than the 330 but says street names when the turn by turn happens. Also some of the Garmin models can't handle the lastest version of the maps.

I love my GPS. The street pilots are cheaper (do some on-line pricing) because they are the "old style". Nuvi's are much thinner. I wish mine was bluetooth capable but other than that I love it.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

I got a no-name brand (MyGuide 3050) cheap a couple years ago. It does the job. It's handy, especially if you move around a lot like me. It probably saved me a fortune in gas here in San Diego. Instead of burning gas trying to find my way, I'm able to go right to my destination without stopping at the gas station to ask for directions.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

PM Johnny Footstool.
    Last edited by oneupper; 12-08-2007 at 10:39 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I bought the Garmin Nuvi 650 about 6 weeks ago, and I love it.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=8671

Quick little link to the Garmin site to give you the features, specs, etc.

Not sure on your price range, but I would highly highly recommend this unit.

I compared probably 10 different Garmin units, at least 6 Tom Toms, and 3 or 4 Magellans, and this was the one that I felt had everything I wanted at the price I could afford.

That looks like a nice one. Since you've had other units I have a specific question for you:

What do think of the 4.3" widescreen as opposed to the 3.5" square screens on the Tom-Toms and others? Is it a significant improvement or does it make very little difference?

I'm considering some basic models for my wife as a present and I'm hung up on whether it's worth the extra money for the widescreen.

I'm considering the c330 or the 200W.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 12-08-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That looks like a nice one. Since you've had other units I have a specific question for you:

What do think of the 4.3" widescreen as opposed to the 3.5" square screens on the Tom-Toms and others? Is it a significant improvement or does it make very little difference?

I'm considering some basic models for my wife as a present and I'm hung up on whether it's worth the extra money for the widescreen.

Thanks.
    The biggest difference with the screen size is when you have to type something into the unit when the keyboard screen pops up. I had to use a stylus to type in on the smaller screen units, whereas fingertips were fine on the bigger screen units. To me, that was a big selling point.

Also, the bigger screen is easier to see with more complex maps (think subdivisions and grid style street layouts).

My roommate has the c330, and it suits his needs, and he has no problem typing things in on the smaller screen, and the view range is adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post

Thanks.
    The wider screen is a huge bonus.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

You know what's funny? I probably drive more miles in a week than anyone else here and I still don't have one of those things. I manage pretty well with Rand McNally.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    You know what's funny? I probably drive more miles in a week than anyone else here and I still don't have one of those things. I manage pretty well with Rand McNally.

That's what everyone says till they have one.

Keep in mind the Garmin 330 and the 220 don't say street names. They will say turn right in 300ft. The 340 will say Turn Right on Lombard Ave in 300ft.

Street names are a must for me in any automotive GPS

Thanks for all the good input! I'm still leaning toward the Tom Tom. It comes with the larger screen, says the street names, and (most importantly) is in my price range.

Let me know if anyone has any other tidbits...I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

A lot of people will wake up in two weeks to find the Garmon 200w under their tree. Both Circuit City and Radio Shack are sold out of them. The guy at CC took about 20 mins selling me on the 200w, then I told him fine, I'll take it and he comes back and says they're out of stock...would I like the next model up for $50 more? By the next day the other local CC stores were sold out too so I ended up ordering it from an online store for about $35 less money. I would have liked to have given CC the sale since they earned it but they didn't have one to sell me. Sales 101: don't talk up a unit that's already sold out.

The associate at Rado Shack said they had an "off brand" made by Magellan that was kind of like a generic Tom-Tom but for less money. Anybody know anything about that brand?

Turn Off Ads?