Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/29/2013

Minor League Updates: Monday 4/29/2013

Pensacola split a pair today with Tennessee. I am not sure in which order the games were played.

Game 1: Josh Smith with his third straight dominant start. He has stretched his scoreless streak to 16.1 innings. Today's line: 5IP 2H 0R 0ER 2BB 4K. Lee Hyde pitched a 1-2-3 sixth. Drew Hayes earned his first save on the season by shutting out the Smokies in the seventh. He walked one and fanned two.
    Devin Lohman was 2-3. 2 doubles and a run scored.
    Ryan LaMarre was 2-3. He scored a run and drove in one.
    Travis Mattair singled and drove in a run.
    Brodie Greene had a solo home run.

Game 2: Tim Crabbe may have outpitched Josh Smith on the afternoon. 5IP 2H 0R 0ER 0BB 3K. Josh Ravin pitched a scoreless sixth. Wilking De La Rosa gave up a three-run jack in the bottom of the seventh to pick up the loss.
    Devin Lohman had the only hit for the Blue Fish, a single.

Pensacola splits a pair. 3-0 and 3-0.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Minor League Updates: Monday 4/29/2013

Meh. I like the other recap thread better.

Louisville is hosting the Iron Pigs of Lehigh Valley.

Dan Corcino with a solid outing tonight that should help allay some fears. He went six innings and only allowed one run (earned) on six hits. He walked just one batter and struck out five.
    Neftali Soto has hit his second roundtripper of the season. He is 3 for 3 on the night so far to push his average up over the .300 mark. He has scored twice and driven two runs home. Billy Hamilton has doubled in four trips to the plate and stolen base number 15. Kris Negron has a solo blast.

Louisville leads it by a 5-2 margin. They have runners on the corner and only one out in the bottom of the seventh. Neftali Soto is at the dish. Henry Rodriguez is picked off and subsequently caught stealing. Hamilton scores on the plate. Soto doubles, his fourth hit of the night. He is now hitting .313 and OPSing .837. 6-2 Bats.

Kevin Whalen pitches an effective eighth, retired the I-Pigs on just nine pitches. Whalen goes ahead with the two-inning save.

Louisville wins 6-2.

Neftali Soto - 4-4, 2B, HR, 2RS, RBI. Strong candidate.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-29-2013 at 09:58 PM.

Dayton has the sticks going tonight, leading 6-4 after six.

Drew Cisco had a rough top of the third but has pitched okay. 6IP 6h 4R 4ER 0BB 2K. Cisco has walked just one batter in 32 innings. Make that 33 innings as he just pitched a scoreless seventh.

Offensively, there have been contributions up and down the lineup. Rahier and Winker have left the park. Gelalich has a pair of hits.

Joel Bender and Ben Klimesh finish things up.

Dayton holds on 6-5.
    Last edited by texasdave; 04-29-2013 at 09:59 PM.

Soto's been playing 3b. Is he at all adequate?

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Soto's been playing 3b. Is he at all adequate?
    No idea, but I said weeks ago, when Ludwick got hurt, that Soto should move to LF. I'm sure he's slow and won't have range, but I still think he should play some games there.

Soto might have been a really good candidate to platoon with XPaul in LF for the Reds while Ludwick is out. But it doesn't look like the Red are going there.

I'm sensing that Soto is near ready to hit in the big leagues.

Soto has power and potentially could be a serious major league hitter. I wonder if the Reds agree with this.

The Reds do not have a potent righty bat off the bench. Soto could be that too. Excited about his hitting this year, especially given his promise earlier in his minor league career.
    Last edited by Kc61; 04-29-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No idea, but I said weeks ago, when Ludwick got hurt, that Soto should move to LF. I'm sure he's slow and won't have range, but I still think he should play some games there.

Soto might have been a really good candidate to platoon with XPaul in LF for the Reds while Ludwick is out. But it doesn't look like the Red are going there.

I'm sensing that Soto is near ready to hit in the big leagues.

Soto has power and potentially could be a serious major league hitter. I wonder if the Reds agree with this.

The Reds do not have a potent righty bat off the bench. Soto could be that too. Excited about his hitting this year, especially given his promise earlier in his minor league career.
    Soto's defense is probably the reason they went with Lutz and seem to favor him (though Lutz isn't all the hot with the glove). Soto just doesn't seem like he can reasonably play anywhere besides 1B. He's got 153 games at 3B in the low minors with a fielding % below .900. That makes EdE look like Brooks Robinson. He's only had one appearance in the OF. He was a terrible SS early and even took a shot at catching. I'm not a guy who thinks defense in LF is the most important thing, but I'd give Mesoraco a shot out there (when Hanigan returns) before trying Soto. It's a shame. Soto is starting to look like his bat will be ready soon. Perhaps he's the guy to deal to an AL team in a package.

In the meantime, I'd play him in the OF as you suggest or let him get as many reps at 3B as possible with the idea of Frazier getting some time in LF against LHP. I don't think it's going to be pretty wherever he plays which is why I don't think he'll get the shot that his bat may suggest he deserves. When do the Reds play in an AL city? He may be the guy to DH in those games.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Should we start a Votto to LF, Soto to 1b thread?

Soto is pure trade bait if he stays hot. Either an NL team needing. 1ber or an AL team needing a DH/1st sacker. He is a butcher at third and slow for the OF. Let his line continue though and someone will definitely want him.

Turn Off Ads?