Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rich Rodriguez Divorce(Hats off to Mark Schlabach)

Re: The Rich Rodriguez Divorce(Hats off to Mark Schlabach)

at some point you have to move forward.
    Would that be before or after you TP and Egg his house?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Supposedly TPing and Egging helps bring closure.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    in this case I would guess after.

This episode has really turned quite bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    which is chump change for WVU and after all the lawyer fees it may come out a net loss. Continuing the fight will be distracting and make them look petty. The fans will get over it, at some point you have to move forward.
    What's the point of signing the contract with the $4 million buyout provision if you're not going to enforce it?!? And based on the article, the $4 million apparently isn't chump change to WV. What if WV signed a contract to pay HIM $4 million per year, and then the team went 6-6 and they decided, "Well, you weren't really that good this year, so we've decided to give you $1.5 million instead"? Something tells me Rich Rod would sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    What's the point of signing the contract with the $4 million buyout provision if you're not going to enforce it?!? And based on the article, the $4 million apparently isn't chump change to WV. What if WV signed a contract to pay HIM $4 million per year, and then the team went 6-6 and they decided, "Well, you weren't really that good this year, so we've decided to give you $1.5 million instead"? Something tells me Rich Rod would sue.
    The basketball coach paid a lot less than his full buyout, and there seems to be a lot that went on behind the scenes. I seriously doubt WVU wants to air their dirty laundry by going to court.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post

I agree. He signed a new deal as recent as last year. So he had inclinations of leaving then. He came back and signed a new deal. I'm sure that $4M buyout caught his eye - or at the very least his agent's eye. I would think he could have negotiated a lower figure for a buyout. He may have thought he could have settled on a lower figure if he decided to leave but it appears he was wrong. I'm sure there is a lot of bitterness and spite involved in this but $2.5M is not an insignificant amount. Rodriguez either needs to pay WVU or have Michigan do it. Both sides need to put this behind them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

which is chump change for WVU and after all the lawyer fees it may come out a net loss. Continuing the fight will be distracting and make them look petty. The fans will get over it, at some point you have to move forward.
    People sign contracts for a reason.

I think Judge Judy needs to get involved.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I think Judge Judy needs to get involved.
    Yes. All parties involved in this situation could use a good yelling at.

The basketball coach paid a lot less than his full buyout, and there seems to be a lot that went on behind the scenes. I seriously doubt WVU wants to air their dirty laundry by going to court.
    WVU had Huggins coming in, so they didn't really fight as hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    WVU had Huggins coming in, so they didn't really fight as hard.

That's probably true. I'm guessing that basketball doesn't have quite the following football does there - especially considering the recent success of the football team. Rodriguez shouldn't have assumed that just because Behlein didn't have to pay all of his buyout that he wouldn't either. It reminds me of the Pete Rose situation where he agreed to a lifetime ban cause he assumed he'd be let back in the game after a year or two because he's Pete Rose. Now if WVU and Rodriguez want to settle, that's another story. But if WVU is going to hold Rodriguez to his end, I think he better pay up. I can't blame him for not wanting to since $4M is a serious chunk of change but he signed the deal.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Signing contracts based on supposed verbal agreements to modify said contract at a later date is a spectacularly bad idea.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Weak response. It's been 8 years since I took Contracts in law school, but the parol evidence rule sure seems to ring a bell on a lot of Rich's claims. Obviously anything that happened post-signing is different, but those issues seem much smaller. When the four corners of a contract say it's a $4 million buyout, you're not generally going to get much of a reception in court arguing "Yeah, but they told me that it really only MEANT $2 million."

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Signing contracts based on supposed verbal agreements to modify said contract at a later date is a spectacularly bad idea.
    Sounds like Rich was unfamiliar with that old saw about verbal agreements being as valid as the paper they are written on. He'd better get his checkbook ready.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?