Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UFO over Chinese airport

Re: UFO over Chinese airport

If a civilization has achieved space travel, what possible interest could humans be to them?
    Go Gators!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    If a civilization has achieved space travel, what possible interest could humans be to them?
    Why do people study just about everything? From the simple to the complicated, some devote their lives to the study of those things.

As slaves for the copper mines on Mars.

Soylent Green is People !!

Watch the Twilight Zone episode "To Serve Man" and you'll understand

Reality TV?

Curiosity? Or the "The Day the Earth Stood Still" argument?
    (humans are too violent, too much of a danger to be allowed in to deep space, so they're keeping tabs on the situation)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I just want to get one of those probes everyone talks about.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I just want to get one of those probes everyone talks about.
    Drink heavily at a rest stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Our current understanding of physics makes interstellar travel pretty farfetched.

However, it's also pretty farfetched to assume that our current understanding of physics is anything close to complete.
    True, but I feel pretty comfortable with my position. I don't think most people have a good sense of just how far away things really are.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Looked like a Pink Floyd concert to me.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    True, but I feel pretty comfortable with my position. I don't think most people have a good sense of just how far away things really are.
    Pretty staggering to say the least. I have no problem believing that there might be other people out there, but the sheer distances involved would make it pretty likely that were are blissfully unaware of one another. Now that doesn't rule out some entirely different technological capability that would involve some sort of shortcuts, but it would have to be something way beyond our capability to begin to understand. The energy required to even think about opening any sort of wormhole would be vastly beyond what we have the ability to create. I can't even get my head around what it would take for some entities to travel sufficiently faster than light to actually get here in a timely manner, or to manage whatever kind of shortcuts there might be to cut down the distance.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    i helped my daughter with an astronomy project where one light year equaled one jelly bean. we then estimated how many jelly beans there were in a gallon and then equated different astronomical object distances to gallons of water in bodies of water. iirc, we went from a sliver of a jelly bean (sun to earth) to a large lake in ohio (edge of the universe) which ended up being a whole buttload of jelly beans. i remember a 20 gallon aquarium, a water tower, and a swimming pool in there somewhere too.

she got like an a+++ and the teacher kept her project. we didn't know if it was because he liked her estimating techniques or he wanted the jelly beans on the poster.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

They may want to aid us. Or maybe they're just curious.

There are obviously a lot of things we don't know or understand yet. Spirits and "aliens" are likely part of the natural order of things in the universe, ecspecially if you subscribe to something like Spiritism or Buddhism, or have had life experiences that open you up to it.

Any ways, it's where I disagree with Hawking. I can't think of reasons why much more evolved, intelligent beings would be interested in any of our petty resources. It's also likely they've evolved beyond consumption-based lifestyles and the accumulation of wealth and materialism as the core of their existence. They may want to learn or help stop something, but I'm doubting they're interested in taking something, otherwise they already would have long ago, among other reasons.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Light that started at one end of the Milky Way, say just even 2000 years ago, travelling at the speed of light, has still not reached the other end of the galaxy.

Turn Off Ads?