Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 6/9 Reds-Pirates game thread

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: 6/9 Reds-Pirates game thread

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I love the Reds and there is no tv tonight. Do you know Marty? Just wondering what kind of a guy he is?
    He's a nice guy. He's a lot of fun. Lots of joking and laughter

2. Turn Off Ads?

Does he have a high opinion of himself? He sure comes off that way.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Tough game thread.

On Marty. It has nothing to do with being washed up. This is Marty. This is the way he is, has been and will be. He develops friendships with all the managers...Boone, Miley and now Narron have all been his friends. I remember him defending Miley the same way when we all knew he had to go. I remember the Pirate announcers defending Lloyd McClendon (unbelievably) just before he got fired. It's the nature of the beast. As for ripping the team, I'd much rather hear that than the "sunny side up" routine that Grande goes through every night. I know some disagree. Fact is, we didn't have a good game and Edwin's throw and Rich's brain cramp did lead to the loss. The Grande version would be that it was excusable because both had such a great season. Sorry, but I hate that.

On Narron. I said early in the season when he kept sending certain pitchers out to predictably get their brains beat out (a reliever named Chris comes to mind ) that he used a certain script for bringing in relievers. It's also painfully obvious that once he makes up his mind, the interim pitching coach does nothing to change it. Franklin, regardless of his effectiveness, is one of his favorites. One of the many reasons why you need to replace Narron and find a pitching coach. All the maneuvers by Krivsky didn't make one little difference in the outcomes because the manager couldn't handle the staff and there was no pitching coach to reign him in (or at least advise him--sorry Humie fans).

This has been worse than just falling out of the race in May. I thought we had a chance in spite of Krivsky's moves and Narron's boneheaded pitching decisions (not to mention his lineups). It hurts to be wrong.

It was over after the Giants-Dodgers series.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 09-09-2006 at 09:12 PM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Does he have a high opinion of himself? He sure comes off that way.
    He knows he's good at what he does, and knows how to work it (but you have to in this business), but I wouldn't say he strokes his ego or makes others feel lower than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    He knows he's good at what he does, and knows how to work it (but you have to in this business), but I wouldn't say he strokes his ego or makes others feel lower than him.
    Is it that he just doesnt like his job anyomore then? He just comes off like his flat out miserable and angry that he has to be there and call the game. He is great about 5 games a year now it just seems like he has lost interest.

Is it that he just doesnt like his job anyomore then? He just comes off like his flat out miserable and angry that he has to be there and call the game. He is great about 5 games a year now it just seems like he has lost interest.
    He wants to go for another 4 years or so I believe.

He loves his job and he knows it's the greatest gig in the world, but like us, he gets frustrated when the team plays bad and he voices it, much like we do.

Maybe he's a little tough on some of the players sometimes.....but, so are we.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 09-09-2006 at 09:20 PM.

But none of us call games for the Reds.

Does anyone know of any other announcers that do what Marty does? I haven't heard any.

Yes the sunny side up routine can be annoying, but Grande takes it to the extreme. Both sides are annoying.

I've said it before, Vin Scully has been with the Dodgers longer than Marty has been with the Reds. He obviously is a fan. Back in the 50s up through this day, if the Dodgers went 0-162 and commited 4 errors every night, Scully would keep his cool and announce the games with professionalism. And he'd do it without sounding anything like George Grande.

Scully would tell stories about other baseball disasters and members of the Hall of Shame. He would tell stories about Babe Ruth playing for the Boston Braves and winning 60 games less than he was used to winning. That is what Hall of Fame announcers do. Well, all of them but one.

Obviously Marty is his own man but in this respect, I think it sheds him in a bad light. If he wants to go down as the only play by play guy in the HOF who should have the chip on his shoulder mentioned on his plaque, so be it.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 09-09-2006 at 09:25 PM.

He loves his job, but like us, he gets frustrated when the team plays bad and he voices it, much like we do.

Maybe he's a little tough on some of the players sometimes.....but, so are we.
    That sums it up. One more thing. Tonight, I was lucky enough to have the Pirates' broadcast on and it was the most boring, totally uninspiring pbp in the world. Many like that, I know. It appeals to those of us who are purists and love to just know what's going on. It puts me to sleep. I like the give-and-take and the foolishness. I listen to the Washington Redskins broadcasts sometimes to hear Sonny Jurgenson, Sam Huff and the straight man go at it, too. Marty makes it interesting and the fact that he makes people like him or hate him makes him just what radio wants. Notice who is staying and who is going in the booth?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post

Does anyone know of any other announcers that do what Marty does? I haven't heard any.

Yes the sunny side up routine can be annoying, but Grande takes it to the extreme. Both sides are annoying.

I've said it before, Vin Scully has been with the Dodgers longer than Marty has been with the Reds. He obviously is a fan. Back in the 50s up through this day, if the Dodgers went 0-162 and commited 4 errors every night, Scully would keep his cool and announce the games with professionalism.

Obviously Marty is his own man but in this respect, I think it sheds him in a bad light. If he wants to go down as the only play by play guy in the HOF who should have the chip on his shoulder mentioned on his plaque, so be it.
    To each his own. I just think that going on and on about it gets tiring every night, but I'm only one person.
    www.ris-news.com
    -Beano Cook

Thank goodness for the new TV deal.

Does anyone know of any other announcers that do what Marty does?
    Maybe that's the point....he doesn't do what "other announcers do."

Like it or not.

145 games too

I second that sentament.

Matt any word on who is going to replace the bad boy?

Marty is still excellent. I like his rants, even if I don't agree with every word.

I do think that an earlier post was dead on about the use of pitching. Sticking with starters too long. Using relievers in pre-conceived spots, regardless of the circumstances.

This game was very important. Yet Franklin, a guy DFA'd by Philly, was pitching in the ninth inning against Jason Bay in a one run game. With Weathers sitting in the pen.

Turn Off Ads?