Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Re: O'Bannon v. NCAA (aka Could Ohio State go D3)

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Well, except for those for-profit institutions like the ITT Techs, Brown-Mackie Colleges, Strayer Universities and others of that ilk that have popped up everywhere. But then they don't offer scholarships and have sports because it's bad for the bottom line.
    Not always true, Grand Canyon University is about to become a division 1 athletic program.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think his answer would be that UMass shouldn't offer sports if they can't pay for themselves.
    Pretty much.

Boston Red, UMASS only has two sports that lose money: Baseball and Softball. Hockey makes just under $200,000 each year. No other sport they have makes any real money, but only baseball and softball lose money.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Colleges and universities are not businesses.
    Could have fooled me.

They seems QUITE business-like to me.
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sheed View Post
    Could have fooled me.

They seems QUITE business-like to me.
    Last I checked, most universities are registered as non-profit institutions without an ownership structure, where all revenues are put back into the university. Not exactly a normal structure used by a business. If they were businesses, they'd have private owners or shareholders and profits left over after expenses would be distributed to the owners rather than reinvested in the institution.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

6. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-24-2013),Screwball (07-26-2013),Wonderful Monds (07-25-2013)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Last I checked, most universities are registered as non-profit institutions without an ownership structure, where all revenues are put back into the university. Not exactly a normal structure used by a business. If they were businesses, they'd have private owners or shareholders and profits left over after expenses would be distributed to the owners rather than reinvested in the institution.
    When your company/business/institution is moving around hundreds of millions to billions of dollars, they are certainly operating a business. They are paying employees, they are selling a product. Just because they aren't sharing some profits and are taking any "profit" and just placing it in a general fund doesn't change that they have employees and are selling a product.

Here is an excellent article by Patrick Hruby on paying college athletes.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/54644180/
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

College athletics used to be an educational entity that generated revenue on a non-profit basis. Now they've become a revenue generating entity that hides behind the educational non-profit status. That difference has made it more characteristic of a business, although it doesn't technically "profit." But when you consider how much ADs and coaches are making, it's hard to argue that it's not functioning as a business.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

10. Likes:

Chip R (07-25-2013),dougdirt (07-25-2013),Joseph (09-19-2013)

you think there's ever a point that Congress steps in and says this is outside the purpose of universities and colleges in this nation and starts taxing these ridiculous tv contracts either on the network level or on the conference level? B1G has talked about getting upwards of 40 Million PER SCHOOL for their share of the B10 Network. You can't tell me some politicians wouldn't love to get a hold of that. Just think of what sort of bacon they could take home for that money!
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    you think there's ever a point that Congress steps in and says this is outside the purpose of universities and colleges in this nation and starts taxing these ridiculous tv contracts either on the network level or on the conference level? B1G has talked about getting upwards of 40 Million PER SCHOOL for their share of the B10 Network. You can't tell me some politicians wouldn't love to get a hold of that. Just think of what sort of bacon they could take home for that money!
    Less money to Ohio State football = less votes in Columbus. You can do just about anything and still get elected, but you can't hurt the most popular sports team in your district.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Of course the lobbying fees that members of Congress gets from the colleges, conferences, etc. will cause them to think twice about taxing them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

There isn't enough money in college football to pay the players.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/tour-...293897454.html

Texas A&M got $740 million in donations over the last 12 months. That's around 300 million more than had ever been donated in any other 12 month period.

Yep, Manziel doesn't deserve a dime....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ns-fiscal-year

16. Likes:

dougdirt (09-19-2013)

Arian Foster says he took money while at Tennessee.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...see-volunteers
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

18. Likes:

dougdirt (09-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Arian Foster says he took money while at Tennessee.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...see-volunteers
    I have a problem with Arian Foster making this claim. If he takes money then that is on both Tennessee and Foster. But I can't get behind this claim:

In an interview for a documentary called "Schooled: The Price of College Sports," Foster said he received extra payments so he could afford rent and food while playing at Tennessee. An excerpt of the documentary was obtained by and posted on SI.com.
    Scholarship athletes are given a stipend for room and board if they do not live on campus. I don't know what that is or how much it amounts to, but if Foster didn't want to go "hungry" as he says he could have stayed on campus and live in the dorm. I would want to know what he did with his stipend before he started asking for money.

Its been the "it" think to do right now is jump down the NCAA's throat about paying athletes. It is a problem and it is something that needs to be addressed. I have yet to see a feasible or even practical plan recommended. But when stories like this about Foster come out a lot of critical information is left out in order to attack the NCAA.

20. Likes:

CoachBombay (09-24-2013)

I can't believe that Tenn would slip Foster money because he was not a significant player for them. He was just another RB at the time

Turn Off Ads?