Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sony Playstation 3

Re: Sony Playstation 3

Very content with my 360 and wouldn't consider switching to the overpriced PS3. Getting one to sell on ebay would be nice but I wouldn't want to deal with all the psychos. I got lucky last year when I got the Xbox. Wondered into Toys R Us and they were taking 18 reservations. Fifty bucks and two weeks later I had one on the launch day and didn't have to camp out in front of a store to get it. I don't see the point in that anyway...

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

I'm going to wait until 2007 to get one. The first run of a new unit is typically loaded with problems, look at the 360 for example. Plus, not many good games are even available right now.

Game console war heats up
    Microsoft, Nintendo could benefit from Sony's price, production woes
    ANALYSIS
    By document.write("<a href='&#109;&#97;&#105;&#108;&#116;&#111;:"+"denis eono"+"&#64;"+"msnbc.com'>");Denise Onodocument.write('</a>');
    MSNBC.com producer
    Updated: 9:07 a.m. ET Nov 17, 2006
    Once again, three major video game consoles are set to battle just as the holiday shopping season gets in gear. And just like the last round of console wars five years back, the players are Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

(MSNBC is a joint Microsoft - NBC Universal venture.)

In the fall of 2001, Microsoft unleashed the Xbox on a world that was skeptical of the computer software giant's ability to compete with the more experienced companies. Around the same time, Nintendo also released their new console, the Gamecube. But Sony, building on its success of their first machine, had a one-year head start with the PlayStation 2.

Sony's dominance grew, eventually capturing about 70 percent market share. Xbox proved to be a respectable entry into the gaming world, and Nintendo stayed alive, mostly due to the success of their GameBoy and DS handheld systems.

This time, Sony isn’t first-to-market with their console—that honor goes to Microsoft’s Xbox 360. The company’s second entry into the console wars was released a year ago, and has generated strong reviews and decent sales. And Nintendo’s Wii, with its unique, motion-sensing controller, has generated good pre-release buzz. And Sony? Manufacturing problems have caused delays and shortages for their PlayStation 3 launch.

So the million (billion)-dollar question is, on the eve of the PlayStation 3 and Wii launches: Is the balance of power shifting in the game industry? Let's take a look at some of the factors that will come into play.

Availability
    Sony initially planned to release the PS3 last spring, but then slipped the date back to November. Manufacturing delays forced the company to cut shipments in the U.S. by half to two million by the end of the year. A mere 400,000 will be available on launch day, Nov. 17.

Nintendo hasn't released exact numbers for its launch on Nov. 19, but says it plans to ship four million by the end of 2006.

When the Xbox 360 was released last year, getting your hands on one was nearly impossible for several months. Now, most major retailers have it in stock.

So if your heart is set on having either of the two new boxes under your Christmas tree this year, you'd better be reading this from the line at your local electronics retailer, or think about getting an Xbox 360.

Advantage (temporarily): Xbox 360

Sticker shock
    At this year's E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo), the talk on the show floor wasn't about the latest high-end graphics or the newest first-person shooter, it was about PS3's price. Sony sets a new high at $499 and $599 for the 20GB and 60GB models respectively. That's $200 above the prices for the two Xbox 360 models.

Driving up the cost of the PS3 is Sony’s Blu-Ray disk drive for high-definition video and increased storage capacity. Xbox 360 offers the competing HD format drive as an add-on for $200, making the two systems equal in price. However, at this point Xbox 360 games are played through the standard DVD drive, making the new drive purely optional.

Sony hopes the PS3 will push their Blu-Ray format to the forefront, making the console launch a key part of their overall consumer electronics strategy.

At $250, Nintendo's Wii is the cheapest of the bunch. It's also the only one that lacks HDTV resolution support and DVD playback capability (current or next-generation). Still, at $50 below the stripped-down Xbox 360, the Wii is difficult to ignore.

Advantage: Wii

The games
    All three systems feature the ability to run some, if not all titles from earlier systems, but Xbox 360's lead time gives it a head start on games made specifically for the machine, with over 100 currently available. Unfortunately for Microsoft, the coveted killer app is missing from that list. Bungie Studios' "Halo 3," (the original version was a must-have for the first Xbox) won't be available until next year. Recently released "Gears of War," by Epic Games, has been hailed by some reviewers as a worthy successor, but it's still not "Halo."

PS3 also suffers from the missing killer app. Although around 20 titles will be available on or shortly after launch, "Final Fantasy," by Square Enix, isn't due out until the end of 2007. And Konami's hugely popular action title "Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots" won't hit shelves until next summer.

Wii will have about 30 games available around launch time. Included in the bunch is the highly-anticipated "Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess," sure to become a must for any Wii library. Other big names, "Mario" and "Metroid Prime" have been pushed back to next fall. In addition to "Wii Sports," included with the console, Wii will feature games, like "Excite Truck," designed to take advantage of the revolutionary motion-sensing controllers, creating more active experiences than the usual button mashing. One of these titles could prove to be a major draw.

Advantage: Wii

System specs
    On paper, PS3 has the technical advantage over Xbox 360 and Wii. Sony claims the PS3 has the most advanced processor and graphics card of the bunch. But because the three machines use proprietary technology and software, comparing numbers could be misleading.

PS3 also features the aforementioned Blu-Ray disk drive for more game content and next-generation video playback — and it can handle video up to 1080p resolution. The PS3 also supports up to 7 wireless controller connections, which means that you and six buddies can play in the same room, at the same time. The more expensive unit also includes Wi-Fi connectivity.

Xbox 360 boasts more video and processing memory, but again, comparing numbers to numbers is unreliable. As stated previously, an HD drive is available as an add-on for next-generation video playback. A recently released downloadable update bumped the maximum video resolution to 1080p. Up to 4 wireless controllers can be connected. A Wi-Fi network adapter is available separately.

Wii is the most primitive of the bunch. It doesn't offer high-resolution video or next-generation (or even first-generation) DVD support. Four of Wii's unique controllers can connect wirelessly and Wi-Fi connectivity is built in.

Advantage: PS3

Business strategy
    All three companies have different approaches to capture as much of the market as possible. Nintendo hopes it can attract a previously untapped audience: non-gamers. Microsoft is aiming to be the centerpiece of a home entertainment and communication center. Sony is going for the hard-core gamer and early adopter crowd.

Wii's lower video requirements appear to be an attempt to appeal to the most casual of gamer or parent who doesn't need the newest (and most expensive) technology. The controllers are designed to be as familiar and intuitive as moving (opposed to "Up, R1, L1, Square, Down, L2, X, Triangle"). Rather than focus on processing power and pixel count, Nintendo's message is that it's all about playability.

Microsoft is also hoping to lure the casual audience by making Xbox 360 and the Xbox Live service the heart of a home entertainment system. The company recently unveiled partnerships with several Hollywood studios to sell TV shows and movies for download. Additionally, earlier this year, the company announced plans to chip away at the proprietary wall separating different Microsoft systems by allowing Windows Vista computers and Smart Phone users to communicate with Xbox 360 players via the "Live Anywhere" service. A subscription to Xbox Live is required to play games online, but not for downloadable content purchases.

Despite the absence of favorite headliners, PS3's game lineup is everything a hard-core gamer could ask for: violent shooters, complicated adventures, racing and sports with stunning visuals. The system specs will appeal to those who want the latest and greatest, and are willing to pay for it. Sony has yet to announce any non-gaming content plans for the PlayStation 3 online service, but with corporate brethren like Sony Music and Sony Studios, it's a good bet that something is in the works. PS3's online service will not have a subscription fee.

Advantage: Tie - Xbox 360/Wii (until Sony details any additional online services)

And the winner is...
    Sony's dominance in the video game console world is massive. The PS3 looks to continue the company's tradition of technical innovation and marketing genius. However, shipping delays, shortages and the extremely high price tag could be its downfall. If the Blu-Ray format fails to catch on, PS3 owners will be stuck with a proprietary system that won't be able to play the latest HD movies. Also, focusing on its core gaming audience may please their most-loyal fans, but I don't think it will do much to bring fresh blood to the table.

Microsoft has an opening this holiday shopping season to take advantage of Sony's shortfall and convert some of the gaming audience from PS2 to Xbox 360. The add-on HD drive gives consumers the option of having a next-gen DVD player. But because the drive is modular, Microsoft has the ability to switch to Blu-Ray if it becomes the dominant format. Additionally, the non-game offerings on Xbox live could be an added bonus for families looking to get more out of their investment than just gaming.

Nintendo, with its much lower-priced Wii, is best poised to attract a more casual audience. The more active play-style of Wii's controllers is sure to get a lot more attention than the thumb and trigger finger moves of the other two consoles, but the lasting appeal of these games could be limited.

Sony will most likely hang on to its lead, with continuing sales of PS2 units and games supplementing the new system. But Microsoft and Nintendo have a huge opportunity to close the gap. Ultimately, a more competitive field could lead to increased hardware innovation and better games.

&#169; 2006 MSNBC Interactive
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

$600? I'll pass, especially considering the lack of quality launch titles. Might as well just upgrade my computer or buy some new music equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    $600? I'll pass, especially considering the lack of quality launch titles. Might as well just upgrade my computer or buy some new music equipment.
    Upgrading my P.C. is where I sit on the issue also. Things always go full circle in the tech industry and P.C. games are on the rise again, in particular with role playing games like World of Warcraft and Guild Wars, and for people like me Flight Sim X and Company of Heroes appear to be great titles.

I've been a PlayStation fan since my Xbox ticked me off one too many times, but 600 bucks? I only play 3 games (NCAA, Metal Gear, Grand Theft Auto)

Yeesh, I'll wait.
    Go Gators!

I personally think the people pay thousands of dollars for a Playstation on eBay are very wise.
    In fact, I hope those same people are reading this message, because I have a once in a lifetime deal for them. I have a 1984 Topps Tucker Ashford and 1981 Donruss Enrique Romo card I will sell them for the low, low, low price equalling 1/10th of A-Rods salary last year. Each. Hurry before this offer expires.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

I've been a PlayStation fan since my Xbox ticked me off one too many times, but 600 bucks? I
    But for $600, you also get a Blue Ray DVD player, which is actually cheaper than they go for right now by themselves.

If you haven't seen the picture on a Blue Ray DVD player, go to Best Buy and watch it.

Absoloutely incredible. You can see the ridges on the edge of a quarter it's that clear.

Hopefully now the Blue Ray DVD players come down....

I'd want to wait the BlueRay HDDVD format battle out, I'd also want an HDTV before I moved on from DVD's.
    Go Gators!

I'm one of the managers at a Supertarget and I can tell you we had people waiting in line on Wednesday at 6p for Fridays sale beginning at 8a!!! I worked the closing shift last night and went to check on the group waiting in line, everyone of them said they planned on selling thier PS3 on ebay. Last night I noticed a couple of them went for $4k on ebay, personally it seems crazy to wait that long in line but if someone can clear that much $$$ I can't say I blame them.

At this point it doesn't look good for replenishment, I was told that Target had 11,000 units to distribute to over 1,400+ stores across the country for the intial drop, god only knows if we'll see anything else. Our store only received 8 units for todays sale. My guess is we may see another 6-8 units before X-mas.

Future Reds All Star

I was at Meijer around 3:00pm yesterday. There were no campers or people just hanging out in the game area. I'm surprised because the front page of the weekly add told about the release.

Saw some campers at Target on Beachmont, do these people have lives?
    Go Gators!

My favorite is when someone camps out for a week with the idea of selling the new goody on Ebay. They get the new $100 item and sell it for 3 times as much on Ebay. They pocket the $200 and think they are living like kings.

Of course, taking 5 days off of work, to make what amounts to $5/hour doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Thats $200 divided by 5 days and 8 hours per day.

Not exactly a "big score" in my book.

A $600 item selling for $2400 is getting a little closer but still ranks far below what I'd consider "worth my time" especially considering I'd burn 5 days of vacation in the process.

a couple of entrepreneurs

ENGLEWOOD — Two armed men wearing black ski masks and sunglasses robbed the EB Games store at 7724 Hoke Road of five Sony PlayStation 3 video game systems about 9 p.m. Thursday, police said.

The suspects were described to police as 5 feet 10 inches to 6 feet tall, wearing dark jackets and baseball caps.

One was in dark-colored pants and the other in gray-colored baggy sweatpants.

According to Englewood police Officer C.M. Follick, two employees were attempting to close the store when the two suspects entered and ordered them to the rear supply room, where the game systems were stored.

The PS3 goes on sale nationally today and retails from $499 to $599.

Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to call (937) 836-1194.
    225-2353 or cmong@DaytonDailyNews.com.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

A $600 item selling for $2400 is getting a little closer but still ranks far below what I'd consider "worth my time" especially considering I'd burn 5 days of vacation in the process.
    You are assuming these people have jobs.

Turn Off Ads?