Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce CF or RF?

Jay Bruce CF or RF?

I know the title is a bit misleading but here's what I mean. I was going over some stats and found this nugget.

Over Jay Bruce's last 10 games he has this line.

CF - 6 Games, 29 PA's, 9 K's, 3 BB's, 1 SB, 2 CS, 6 hits, 3 Dbl's, 0 HR's

RF - 4 Games, 19 PA's, 1 K, 2 BB's, 0 SB, 0 CS, 9 Hits, 4 Dbl's, 3 HR's

(Did have one late inning switch from RF to CF, but it shouldn't have any effect on my theory)

Now I know that 10 games is a small sample size but I don't have access to further game logs in which they show me the CF to RF equation. Also even though it's only 10 games it's a dramatic effect on both K's and Power.

Also I wonder if he has a different mindset when playing CF as opposed to RF, as he seems to be taking more pitches and trying to steal bases when he plays CF and swinging it more often when he plays RF.

So the question is does he need to better his conditioning? Is his offensive approach altered when playing CF? Both? Or is it that he is simply a more natural RF, and thus his better long term success relies on him playing RF?

I come to the latter conclusion but I still wonder if he wouldn't benefit from some better conditioning and soon. CF needs to be taken away from him IMHO, he's a RF! And from an interview I read last yr he would be fine with it, if the organization felt the need.

I wish I had the time and access to check out further game logs. Perhaps something we could note from here on out when doing minor league updates. When he plays CF or RF and if & when he switches in a game. I don't do minor league game updates so if anyone would oblige me I would appreciate it, if not that's ok too.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce CF or RF?

I say left field if we still have Griffey when he comes up. Bruce in left, Hamilton in center, and Griffey in right.

Jay Bruce worked out with Adam Dunn in Texas all off season and they both reportedly trained very, very hard and neither of them took days off. I don't think there is a conditioning issue with Jay.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    I say left field if we still have Griffey when he comes up. Bruce in left, Hamilton in center, and Griffey in right.
    Griffey really needs to be in LF.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I see Bruce as being Griffey's successor in right. However he could move to left if Adam Dunn is traded. Hamilton is in center barring an injury. I can't see Junior making another position change.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I see Bruce as being Griffey's successor in right. However he could move to left if Adam Dunn is traded. Hamilton is in center barring an injury. I can't see Junior making another position change.
    If it's my team he moves to LF. Griffey's already stated that it usually goes 3 yrs in RF, 2 yrs in LF and 1 yr at 1B for aging CF's. Sounds too me like we may move that timetable up one yr minimum to LF.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Jay Bruce worked out with Adam Dunn in Texas all off season and they both reportedly trained very, very hard and neither of them took days off. I don't think there is a conditioning issue with Jay.
    That's true RL I had forgotten about that. I guess it's simple then either it's the result of a small sample size which is quite possible or he isn't cut out for CF any longer which is just as if not moreso likely.

Not saying he can't do it, just saying for his own best interests at the plate he/the organization may want to make the move to RF concrete now so he can continue to develop in RF and at the plate.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If it's my team he moves to LF. Griffey's already stated that it usually goes 3 yrs in RF, 2 yrs in LF and 1 yr at 1B for aging CF's. Sounds too me like we may move that timetable up one yr minimum to LF.
    Yup. Junior spent his first 2 RF years still playing CF...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay had a .964 OPS as a CF while in Sarasota and a .967 OPS as a RF while in Sarasota.

I think there are small sample sizes at work here.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Jay had a .964 OPS as a CF while in Sarasota and a .967 OPS as a RF while in Sarasota.

So, historically, he's been a better hitter when he plays RF, then.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Why I thought they spent all day playing pong and drinking milkshakes. Haven't you heard? Adam Dunn is lazy and it rubs off on everyone who shares his air space.

Other thoughts -

1) I don't think we have to worry too much about where Jr. will be playing when Bruce arrives. At most they'll have a three-month overlap, though that could be a non-issue by the end of this month.

2) Supposedly Bruce is fairly prototype for RF. I'd look to put him in his optimum position and then pair him with an elite flychaser in CF.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

Good point and although it may not matter to some, is his OBP/SLG reversed somewhat substantially in one as opposed to the other?

--Woody Hayes

The outfield ultimately should be -- Bruce LF; Hamilton RF: some true centerfielder to be acquired or from system CF.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The outfield ultimately should be -- Bruce LF; Hamilton RF: some true centerfielder to be acquired or from system CF.
    I think it should be, Hamilton CF, Bruce RF and a Hammer RH Bat in LF. Hamilton can play CF w/ relative ease, he may not have elite range there but it's better than avg.

Of course if the Reds get lucky someday it will be.

LF - Bruce
    CF - Stubbs (But this is looking bleek)
    RF - Hamilton

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Hamilton is actually a slightly below average CF in terms of range.
    I don't know where the Reds look for a CF if they don't want to use Bruce or Hamilton there, but if Bruce comes onto the scene and hits like he has hit and Hamilton continues to post an OPS over .800, which there is no reason why he shouldnt, then put Chris Dickerson out there in CF. He wont hit a ton, but he will catch everything in CF.

Turn Off Ads?