Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ESPN and Journalistic Integrity

ESPN and Journalistic Integrity

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2011/1...-the-room#more

This topic came up a lot in the last OSU Football thread, but I thought it deserved its own thread. This is a very well written column that brings up a lot of good points about ESPN and its business model.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN and Journalistic Integrity

Great read, and very well written. I've very little use for ESPN for years now for many of the reasons listed in that article.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Journalism died a long time ago, ESPN was barely journalism at any point.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Journalism died a long time ago, ESPN was barely journalism at any point.
    I would say Journalism died when blogs became must reads on the internet. From sports to news to politics anyone and everyone can post anything without having proper journalism integrity. Its unfortunate that too many people pay attention to these "shock" blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I would say Journalism died when blogs became must reads on the internet. From sports to news to politics anyone and everyone can post anything without having proper journalism integrity. Its unfortunate that too many people pay attention to these "shock" blogs.
    That is very true, but no one blog holds the media power that ESPN does. ESPN has a resonsibility to do better and they don't. Infact more often than not, they push their own adgenda and fan the flames even further. They are basically a monopoly and that is too bad.

Go read some newspapers from the 1850s or a similar old time period when newspapers intentionally were known as a "Republican press" or "Democratic paper" and tell me they were any better than now. Or how about the 1890s and Hearst (IIRC) trying to force the US into war with Spain.

I think the entire concept "journalistic integrity" or "objectivity" is a bit overblown. Maybe it is an ideal, but saying it's so much worse today than
    ever before strikes me as a mistake.

These issues existed long before blogs were ever dreamt of

The unfortunate reality is that government, business and media are intertwined. It's impossible to avoid bias in reporting now.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The unfortunate reality is that government, business and media are intertwined. It's impossible to avoid bias in reporting now.
    I guess my problem with it is that in almost any other field (news, politics, religion, etc.) if you don't like what you are seeing there is somewhere else to do. If you don't like CNN go watch Fox News. ESPN really has no competitor and I'd say the majority of casual sports fans get their sports "news" from ESPN. Of course there are sites like SI.com and Yahoo and other outlets on TV, but they all have a much smaller scale. ESPN did a great job in getting to where they are now, but they are abusing that now.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    I guess my problem with it is that in almost any other field (news, politics, religion, etc.) if you don't like what you are seeing there is somewhere else to do. If you don't like CNN go watch Fox News. ESPN really has no competitor and I'd say the majority of casual sports fans get their sports "news" from ESPN. Of course there are sites like SI.com and Yahoo and other outlets on TV, but they all have a much smaller scale. ESPN did a great job in getting to where they are now, but they are abusing that now.
    I have no respect for their editorializing things, but it's not their fault they have no competition. FOX could have been competition, but they're poorly run and more concerned with having assets to report to their stakeholders than actually trying to run legitimate programming. Versus was a diamond-in-the-rough, but spent too much of its resources going after mountain biking and other things people care little about. Fortunately, Comcast has seen an opening and is pushing that channel -- now NBC Sports -- to compete with ESPN.

I guess your points are ESPN are valid, but I don't think whether they have competition is relevant inasmuch as they shouldn't editorialize regardless.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Simple bias isn't the issue here, it's the conflict of interest that's the big problem.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I think more often than not bloggers take a much more independent view of the topic of conversation than the giant media conglomerates. Take the post from this thread for example...

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Simple bias isn't the issue here, it's the conflict of interest that's the big problem.
    No kidding. I rarely watch ESPN unless it's showing an actual sporting event I'm interested in. Otherwise, it seems like an infomercial for ESPN and the sports teams/leagues/conferences with which it has some kind of relationship. Look no further than the coverage of LeBron James' free agency. Or refusing to report on allegations of rape against Ben Roethlisberger, who I believed was appearing on some ESPN program at the time. Imagine if the whole OJ Simpson affair occurred in this day and age, with OJ having a popular show on ESPN. I can only guess how ESPN of today would cover it.

If ESPN wants to claim journalistic integrity, it has to run it's news department separate from it's other programming departments and give the management of the news department complete independence with regard to story and editorial content.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

ESPN and journalistic integrity?

Bwahahahahahahahaha

I'm sure they're right up there with MTV
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Richard Deitch on Tebow and ESPN...

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/dv9ba0
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think more often than not bloggers take a much more independent view of the topic of conversation than the giant media conglomerates. Take the post from this thread for example...
    The problem I have with bloggers is they very rarely take accountability for their articles. They can write whatever they want and hide behind it. Its almost as if there is a rush to break the news regardless if the source is accurate or not, then there is very little accountability taken.

Turn Off Ads?