Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Caribbean Travel

Caribbean Travel

Just got back from an awesome week in Playa Del Carmen, Mexico.

Lets talk Caribbean travel. Where have you been, Redszone? How much did it cost? My girlfriend and I are addicted after just one trip.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Caribbean Travel

Been to Punta Cana, Dominica Rep twice, Playa Del Carmen and Montego Bay, Jamaica once.

All these trips were to an Iberostar Grand. We have also fallen in love with trips to the Caribbean. Of these 3 we believe Punta Cana has the best beach, Playa had the easiest airport and we liked the Grand there best.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post

Lets talk Caribbean travel. Where have you been, Redszone? How much did it cost? My girlfriend and I are addicted after just one trip.
    Glad to hear Playa Del Carmen is good, I'll be backbacking from Cancun down to San Jose Costa Rica after going to Cincinatti. Cost will be pretty cheap as i'll be backpacking just using public transport and cheap hotels, hostels.

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post

Went to Bahamas last summer after classes were over. Best trip I ever took. 4 days at sea and got to see Nassau and Freeport. Loved Nassau, it ran about 1200 bucks by the time you include everything (gas, food, etc). It was on Caribbean before all their PR went to heck. If I were to go again I'd pick a different destination, I only did Bahamas because they ported in Jacksonville where I have family and got to spend a day there with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Been to Aruba more times than I can count, Mexican Riviera and Cozumel, Martinique, Barbados, St Maarten, Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Antigua, Bonaire (several times), Los Roques, Isla Margarita, Curacao, Cayman Islands, Puerto Rico (lived there).

Places I want to go in the Caribbean:

Jamaica, Grenada, St Lucia, Turks and Caicos, Trinidad and Tobago.

Never found anything to be particularly cheap, especially when it comes to lodging. Probably the most cost-effective way to visit the Caribbean is on a Cruise. Other than that, There are deals off-season that can be interesting if you are flexible (i.e.not bound by school schedule).
    Not everyone likes cruising. My family is split on the issue.

A lot depends on what you want to do. Some people just want to relax by the pool/beach or do water sports.
    Others like to get out and explore. I'm of this latter variety, so staying at an all-inclusive, such as are quite popular in many parts of the Caribbean isn't really for me.

The Mexican Riviera is one of my favorite places because you can get out and explore. You not only have the beaches, but the archaeological sites (large and small-Coba is my favorite), the cenotes, the Colonial spanish towns, etc. I've been to the area four times (first in 1977) and I'd still find new things to see and do if I went again.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Australian Red View Post
    Glad to hear Playa Del Carmen is good, I'll be backbacking from Cancun down to San Jose Costa Rica after going to Cincinatti. Cost will be pretty cheap as i'll be backpacking just using public transport and cheap hotels, hostels.
    This sounds like a nice plan, which I'd love to do if I were 30 years younger. Just take into account that Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are a bit dangerous. Costa Rica is very tourist-friendly.

I imagine Tikal and Copan are on the itinerary. I'm envious, since those are on my bucket list.

Have a great trip!

(Oh and don't misspell Cincinnati around here...the natives can be touchy about that)
    Last edited by oneupper; 05-28-2013 at 07:12 AM.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Been to Mexico and Dominica (Not Dominican Republic).

I can highly recommend Dominica. It didn't develop in the same way as most of the rest of the Caribbean. It wasn't really conducive to sugar production so was never deforested. It has very few beaches at all, but it is amazing for rainforest hiking, waterfalls, general nature stuff. The big natural attraction is the boiling lake which is a day long hike. I can't recommend this place enough. It is just amazing. The big drawback is that it is hard to get to since it can only accomodate small craft at its airport. But then again that keeps it from getting overrun like the other islands. And the local fruit is to die for, especially the grapefruit. Lodging options are variable. There are a number of ecolodges as you might imagine, but some other guesthouses and such. I'm dying to go back.
    Last edited by Spazzrico; 05-28-2013 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    This sounds like a nice plan, which I'd love to do if I were 30 years younger. Just take into account that Guatemala, Honduras and Nicaragua are a bit dangerous. Costa Rica is very tourist-friendly.

I imagine Tikal and Copan are on the itinerary. I'm envious, since those are on my bucket list.

Have a great trip!

(Oh and don't misspell Cincinnati around here...the natives can be touchy about that)
    Tikal and Copan are part of my itinerary!

I've been to some sketchy places before in Africa and Europe but i can't remember being as nervous as am about visiting some of the places especially Honduras and more particularly San Pedro Sula.

Haha noted about Cincinnati, i should know how to spell it by now i've done enough research on the place in the last month or so.

You are never too old to go backpacking, i travelled around for 6 months in 2010 and meet plenty of older travellers, some of which had plenty more up and go compared to me.

Speaking of San Pedro Sula, big news coming from there yesterday as the two rival gangs agreed to a cease fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Spazzrico View Post
    Speaking of San Pedro Sula, big news coming from there yesterday as the two rival gangs agreed to a cease fire.
    Fingers crossed they don't now turn on tourists and by tourist i mean turn on me!

12. Likes:

LexRedsFan (05-30-2013)

Been to Jamaica once, stayed at a Sandals resort and loved it. I'd love to hope around some more, but there are too many other great places in the world.

This year in Feb, the wife and I spent 2.5 weeks hopping around the Philippines.... Great place!

Turn Off Ads?