BP .149 .204 .253 .457
    Dunn .157 .333 .265 .598
    Ross .185 .281 .389 .670
    Hatte .206 .349 .235 .585
    Freel .208 .311 .302 .613
    EE .214 .299 .286 .585
    Hopper .361 .442 .472 .914
    Aurilia .344 .385 .511 .897

you meant september for anyone looking those stats up.. because bphils line in august was .330/.377/.604/.981..........

but the fact remains.. 1 player on that list was the "offensive player".. everyone else is paid for both offense and defense..

But lets look at the total salary for the Offense and defense players compared to JUST dunns salary...

O and D...
    2006 August lines:
    BP.. 300+k..
    Ross.. 500k..
    Hatte.. 750k..
    Freel.. 1.3 mil..
    EE.. 335k..
    Hopper.. 300+k..
    Aurilia.. 1.3 mil..

Totalling.. 4.4 mil..

Dunn alone.. 7.5 mil...

IF you are paying a guy to be the offensive leader.. and he is BELOW average when you need him the most.. how can you blame the rest of the team for not winning?

thats like saying..
    W pay jeff gordon to drive our race car.. and since he was playing game boy while he drove around the track (he is paid to drive and win).. he came in dead last..

WE HAVE TO BLAME THE CREW CHIEF AND CREW..

If you are paid to do ONE THING and you can't do that when needed esp if most of the rest of the team isnt hitting then.. 99% of the world would say.. you are no good to me.. see ya.. no logic would honestly ever connect those dots.. yet some on here think him being paid top notch hitters money and being no where near the TOP hitter in the league is something we should blame on others, or at least say.. well dont look at how bad he did since "everyone" did bad.. sorry but he was SOLELY paid to hit.. NOT SOMETHING he did for over a month on MULTIPLE occasions.. if you were the top engineer at a company and one month you decided on the CAD drawings you would just draw smiley faces, you would be getting fired quickly..
    Last edited by Ahhhorsepoo; 08-21-2008 at 12:42 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Next Year

Re: My last ever Adam Dunn Thread - from the ORG "Dunn Appreciation Thread"

Quote Originally Posted by Ahhhorsepoo View Post
    2006 August lines:
    BP .149 .204 .253 .457
    Dunn .157 .333 .265 .598
    Ross .185 .281 .389 .670
    Hatte .206 .349 .235 .585
    Freel .208 .311 .302 .613
    EE .214 .299 .286 .585
    Hopper .361 .442 .472 .914
    Aurilia .344 .385 .511 .897

you meant september for anyone looking those stats up.. because bphils line in august was .330/.377/.604/.981..........

but the fact remains.. 1 player on that list was the "offensive player".. everyone else is paid for both offense and defense..

But lets look at the total salary for the Offense and defense players compared to JUST dunns salary...

O and D...
    2006 August lines:
    BP.. 300+k..
    Ross.. 500k..
    Hatte.. 750k..
    Freel.. 1.3 mil..
    EE.. 335k..
    Hopper.. 300+k..
    Aurilia.. 1.3 mil..

Totalling.. 4.4 mil..

Dunn alone.. 7.5 mil...

IF you are paying a guy to be the offensive leader.. and he is BELOW average when you need him the most.. how can you blame the rest of the team for not winning?

thats like saying..
    W pay jeff gordon to drive our race car.. and since he was playing game boy while he drove around the track (he is paid to drive and win).. he came in dead last..

WE HAVE TO BLAME THE CREW CHIEF AND CREW..

If you are paid to do ONE THING and you can't do that when needed esp if most of the rest of the team isnt hitting then.. 99% of the world would say.. you are no good to me.. see ya.. no logic would honestly ever connect those dots.. yet some on here think him being paid top notch hitters money and being no where near the TOP hitter in the league is something we should blame on others, or at least say.. well dont look at how bad he did since "everyone" did bad.. sorry but he was SOLELY paid to hit.. NOT SOMETHING he did for over a month on MULTIPLE occasions.. if you were the top engineer at a company and one month you decided on the CAD drawings you would just draw smiley faces, you would be getting fired quickly..
    I think one could argue that without Dunn's contributions earlier in the year they wouldn't have been in the playoff race to begin with.

All wins are important regardless of the month they came in.

Yes it sucked that Dunn fell apart in September, but a good team needs to be able to overcome that. Considering Dunn is only 1/9th of the offense, something else bottomed out too.

And I don't think the Reds were paying EE, Aurilia or Ross for their defense either, if that's the logic you want to use.

EE is GREAT at the fielding part of defense.. the throwing part i think they have been working on since 2005.. Aurilia.. hes no slouch with the glove.. not GG caliber.. but to tell me he is below average at whatever inf position they slotted him at...... and Ross.. has one of the better arms in all of baseball behind the dish, and was arroyos personal catcher that year.. he was not kept on this team for 3 years because of his bat.. it was his arm and being at least average with the bat..

you at least could have said hatte wasnt that great defensively.. that would have been a better argument.. but still not a great one..

Yes, you are right - it was September, not August.

The rest -

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Next Year

EE is GREAT at the fielding part of defense.. the throwing part i think they have been working on since 2005.. Aurilia.. hes no slouch with the glove.. not GG caliber.. but to tell me he is below average at whatever inf position they slotted him at...... and Ross.. has one of the better arms in all of baseball behind the dish, and was arroyos personal catcher that year.. he was not kept on this team for 3 years because of his bat.. it was his arm and being at least average with the bat..

you at least could have said hatte wasnt that great defensively.. that would have been a better argument.. but still not a great one..
    Actually you're right, Ross was good at catcher (which is making me wonder why he was released this year).

Aurilia and EE were both below average that year. EE may be able to glove a ball but those bad throws still count. Incidentally, him being able to avoid throwing errors may actually upgrade his defense to average to above average status. Phillips, believe it or not, had a bad year that year defensively too.

I agree.. he did.. but he also showed flashes of being great soo i was willing to not give up on him after that one year..

Rich Aurilia was not the achilles heel of that team though.. his average defense coupled with his consummate professional hitting approach are welcome additions to a winning team..

Next Year

I agree.. he did.. but he also showed flashes of being great soo i was willing to not give up on him after that one year..

Rich Aurilia was not the achilles heel of that team though.. his average defense coupled with his consummate professional hitting approach are welcome additions to a winning team..
    The achilles heel of that team was it's bullpen. Yeah the offense melting down in september didn't help, but I'd say with a good bullpen throughout the year the team would have been able to overcome that offensive dry spell.

correct.. and now we have the good bullpen and our defense and starting pitching wavered even more.....

Them Redlegs are struggling to score again today.

if they didn't have soo many free swingers things like hit and run and such that they have tried.. might actually work..

at least they are being aggressive on the base path.. something we have never really seen..

if they didn't have soo many free swingers things like hit and run and such that they have tried.. might actually work..
    That's the problem with this "Small Ball" concept - you move guys into scoring position - by giving up PRODUCTIVE OUTS - and you have 9 guys batting under .260, OBP's under .320, and OPS under .760 hoping to get them in.

Get a guy on first, and give me 3 chances with "ADAM DUNN" - type OPS, and ISOP, and I'd bet we'd be better off..

at least they are being aggressive on the base path.. something we have never really seen..
    You're right - I haven't seen so many CAUGHT STEALINGS and being picked off base as I've seen in this past week or so...

Is it a productive out to get thrown out after you've gotten on base?!?!?

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Being aggressive on the basepaths... wow! I'd hate to NOT run ourselves out of innings.

I think an argument can be made that Dunn was the most underrated Reds player and the most overrated Reds player.

He was the Reds most productive player when he was here despite what his critics want to argue, but he was not the franchise player that his supporters have would want him to be.

He was able to put up great numbers over the course of the season, but had significant holes in his game that stats simply could not show.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Them Redlegs are struggling to score again today.
    I like the two "manufactured" runs the best - two solo HR's.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I think an argument can be made that Dunn was the most underrated Reds player and the most overrated Reds player.

He was the Reds most productive player when he was here despite what his critics want to argue, but he was not the franchise player that his supporters have would want him to be.

He was able to put up great numbers over the course of the season, but had significant holes in his game that stats simply could not show.
    Not sure how he'd be OVERRATED. Even the Biggest Dunn pundits can admit he has serious flaws. That didn't stop him from being the most Productive Reds player in the last decade. That's not over-rated, that's realistic.

His value will be shown now that he's being utilized correctly, and being surrounded by other OBP/OPS guys - both in front AND behind him.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?