Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Draft Pick Compensation for certain Free Agents

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Draft Pick Compensation for certain Free Agents

I keep wondering why guys like Bourn, Lohse, and other free agents aren't seeing much interest, and the obvious reason is it costs a draft pick to sign them.

It's like the kiss of death for those guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Draft Pick Compensation for certain Free Agents

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

In the previous days, teams with all the money didn't mind losing a draft pick, as they could draft guys who had fallen and give them first round money in the later rounds.

Theses days, with money limited to draft positions, those teams can no longer rely upon good players falling and "overpaying" them, making their "lost" draft picks hurt even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I keep wondering why guys like Bourn, Lohse, and other free agents aren't seeing much interest, and the obvious reason is it costs a draft pick to sign them.

It's like the kiss of death for those guys.
    I thik Lohse and Bourne are both Boras clients. (Maybe even Soriano from the Yanks?) In any event, they are all good players, but they are asking for superstar money. I think even if draft pick compensation wasn't attached, they'd be recieving less interest.

The market for FA is very uneven now. You've got some teams like Boston and LA Dodgers spending money like drunken sailors, but for themost part, teams are still being pretty thrifty with FAs.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Until we traded for Choo, I really thought that Jocketty might be able to swing a Madson-like signing of Bourn.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfeet View Post
    Until we traded for Choo, I really thought that Jocketty might be able to swing a Madson-like signing of Bourn.
    I agree. I am still not convinced there isn't some sort of other trade or signing in the works. Just a hunch and a gut feeling but I do not think this team goes to ST as is.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I agree. I am still not convinced there isn't some sort of other trade or signing in the works. Just a hunch and a gut feeling but I do not think this team goes to ST as is.
    Aside from pulling off a big trade for Stanton, what do the Reds need?

I don't see them doing anything but maybe signing a LOOGY and inviting some players to ST for depth who don't get signed by other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I thik Lohse and Bourne are both Boras clients. (Maybe even Soriano from the Yanks?) In any event, they are all good players, but they are asking for superstar money. I think even if draft pick compensation wasn't attached, they'd be recieving less interest.

The market for FA is very uneven now. You've got some teams like Boston and LA Dodgers spending money like drunken sailors, but for themost part, teams are still being pretty thrifty with FAs.
    Boston might actually be the best example of this, they are overpaying almost anyone who didn't receive a qualifying offer even though their 1st round pick is protected. Because the 2nd round pick comes with an extra $1+M of draft allowance, which does not all have to be used on that particular pick as long as they can sign the guy they draft there for less, and can use the extra to go over slot for the 1st rounder.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Aside from pulling off a big trade for Stanton, what do the Reds need?

I don't see them doing anything but maybe signing a LOOGY and inviting some players to ST for depth who don't get signed by other teams.
    I agree...like I said, it is just a feeling, a sense.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Turn Off Ads?