Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Hanigan has pretty much exclusively caught Bailey since Bailey got hot back last August/September.

The one bad outing for Bailey was his last game. Guess who caught it? Mez.

Obviously it's in Bailey's head that he prefers Hanigan catching for him. I was listening to WLW on my way in this morning and the first comment out of Bailey's mouth was crediting Hanny for calling a great game and them being on the same page all night.

Mez has his work cut out for him breaking into the catching rotation since Hanigan is preferred by Bailey, Arroyo, Cueto. Not sure about Latos. I know Mez catches Leake though. Look at Leake's numbers. Is it Leake, Mez or both?

Edit:
    If Hanigan would start hitting to his career numbers, this discussion would be moot for the most part. As long as Hanigan struggles, people will be clamoring for the little-used Mez.
    It is Leake. He is a soft tosser with average pitches.

Pudge Rodriguez, Yogi Berra, Yadier Molina and Johnny Bench could catch Leake and it wouldn't matter.

Also, is it not a fact the pitches come from the dugout?

You're damn right people are going to be clamoring for the little used mez. At one point he was ranked the 14th best prospect in baseball and the best catching prospect in baseball. Hanigan is a nobody that came out of nowhere to put up some decent numbers out of the 8 spot. Mesoraco is a potential middle of the order hitter that is wasting away on the bench. I would be furious if I were Mesoraco, at this point the Reds are stealing money from his future grandchildren.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I would have bit a hole in my bottom lip if I was in Devin situation. I would would pull a T.O situation and asked off this team. This is pathetic. His game is being stagnant , under Dusty. A man with no Rings and a Bad Rep coming in Cincy. Remember someone took a dump in the dugout where Dusty stands in Chicago. Speaks for itself
    Last edited by DWS1125; 04-17-2013 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DWS1125 View Post
    I would have bit a hole in my bottom lip if I was in Devin situation. I would would pull a T.O situation and asked off this team. This is pathetic. His game is being stagnant , under Dusty. A man with no Rings and a Bad Rep coming in Cincy. Remember someone took a dump in the dugout where Dusty stands in Chicago. Speaks for itself
    I wouldn't take advice on the quality of a manager from an unknown coward who thought it was a good idea to take a dump in a dugout.

jvs

Matt Kemp and his .185 batting average say hi. 2012 = .303, 23 HR's
    Jason Heyward and his .112 batting average say hi. 2012 = .269, 27 HR's
    J Reddick and his .103 batting average say hi. 2012 = .242, 32 HR's.
    Sure it's early, and I don't think hanigan is going to hit .88 or wherever he's at all year. Those guys are potential all stars or MVP candidates every year who are in their 20s, use power as a major part of their game, and are not blocking one of the top prospects at their positions. I wouldn't call Hanigan a complete Punch and Judy, but he doesn't bring much power and he's in his early 30s so honesty his skills are probably going to decline soon. I think it's a little unfair to compare younger all star types players with huge power upside to an older guy who is a tough defensive player, with any offense he produces considered to be a bonus. Especially when he is slumping and playing in front of the premier catching prospect from only a year ago.

Lost in all of this is the fact that we shouldn't just bench hanigan. He's an a very important part of this team. I think another thing that is lost too is that mes isn't a complete dunce behind the plate. Right now we are making a top prospect rusty and if I had to take a guess a little frustrated. If arroyo wants hanigan, I don't have an issue with it. He's the senior statesman of our staff. He's earned that right. Cueto is the ace he has too, but he's out. I just think it'd be a great time to start giving Mes more of a chance. Hanigan is slumping at the plate and one person that prefers hanigan to catch is on the DL. It'd be a great chance to see what mes has on a more consistent basis by letting him catch latos with cingrani and leake as well.

6. Likes:

Ron Gant (04-17-2013)

Its the age old question that has been asked around baseball for generations, especially when it comes to young catching prospects playing behind a veteran. At what point do you genuinley commit to the young guy, who by all accounts is "your future" in regards to the position, and start fading out the veteran? Giving Mes token spot starts is not going to help either Mes or the Reds in the long term.

I agree, Hanigan is the better option in regards to defense, but that is because he has played and honed his craft. The only way for Mes to do the same is to play (more than once a week) at the MLB level. Let him catch Cueto and Latos some. Hanigan has done a fine job, don't get me wrong, but the time for Mes to get his shot as a consistent starter is fast approaching. For now though, Mes just has to make the most of his opportunities, one of them being tonight.

If you pair Mez up with a pitcher thats WILL BE scuffling to stay in the majors, especially if Cingrani succeeds, and I know he will. Take his place Mez will have no pitchers to catch. How would that help him succeed?
    Last edited by DWS1125; 04-17-2013 at 10:13 AM.

your not going to pinch hit for a catcher when you only have two on the team, from threat of injury. How can Mez get any swings to stay sharp? This team had no Problem working in Hernadez or Navarro with Hanigan. How did Hanigan turn into the Buster Posey on this team. Hitting like a slow footed slap hitter with warning track power in the hitter friendly GABP

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Sure it's early, and I don't think hanigan is going to hit .88 or wherever he's at all year. Those guys are potential all stars or MVP candidates every year who are in their 20s, use power as a major part of their game, and are not blocking one of the top prospects at their positions. I wouldn't call Hanigan a complete Punch and Judy, but he doesn't bring much power and he's in his early 30s so honesty his skills are probably going to decline soon. I think it's a little unfair to compare younger all star types players with huge power upside to an older guy who is a tough defensive player, with any offense he produces considered to be a bonus. Especially when he is slumping and playing in front of the premier catching prospect from only a year ago.

Lost in all of this is the fact that we shouldn't just bench hanigan. He's an a very important part of this team. I think another thing that is lost too is that mes isn't a complete dunce behind the plate. Right now we are making a top prospect rusty and if I had to take a guess a little frustrated. If arroyo wants hanigan, I don't have an issue with it. He's the senior statesman of our staff. He's earned that right. Cueto is the ace he has too, but he's out. I just think it'd be a great time to start giving Mes more of a chance. Hanigan is slumping at the plate and one person that prefers hanigan to catch is on the DL. It'd be a great chance to see what mes has on a more consistent basis by letting him catch latos with cingrani and leake as well.
    All I'm saying is let's not use a little over 2 weeks of MLB as a barometer of where any MLB hitter is going to end up statistically come the end of September.

If Hanigan is finished as a hitter, we'll know late in the season.

I was hoping Mez would do something to warrant more playing time, like hit better or gain the respect of the pitching staff defensively. All you hear is how much the pitchers like Hanigan behind the plate.

Spring Training is simply Spring Training. The real baseball is going on now. Xavier Paul has done well and there are conversations about putting him in the starting lineup. If Mez was hitting well, more people might be on his bandwagon. But he simply doesn't take advantage of his opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post

+1

Took the words right out of my mouth

How is it fair to compare Matt Kemp, a young top 5 player in MLB, to Hanigan?

Also, Reddick and Heyward did not exactly have stellar batting averages. The reason they are considered good is because of their power, which Hanigan has none of.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    +1

Took the words right out of my mouth

How is it fair to compare Matt Kemp, a young top 5 player in MLB, to Hanigan?

Also, Reddick and Heyward did not exactly have stellar batting averages. The reason they are considered good is because of their power, which Hanigan has none of.
    The point is it's been a little over 2 weeks.

Impatient much?

you can't possible say "if Mez starts to hit well" he could get more playing time. His PA are the lowest on the team. Can you respectfully say catch fire in limited action? This is baseball not the 2013 final four tittle game against Louisville smh
    Last edited by DWS1125; 04-17-2013 at 10:23 AM.

The point is it's been a little over 2 weeks.

Impatient much?
    for all the people saying Have patients..whats wrong with starting Mez early against Cueto, Latos and Bailey. If its not that important?

The Same people that defended Stubbs are the same people that defend Hanigan..."Stubbs was a good defender very fast, we need speed". Enters Choo, They're like "Stubbs who?!" I swear on the bible its true. You don't know what you have until you change what you have been doing.

All I'm saying is let's not use a little over 2 weeks of MLB as a barometer of where any MLB hitter is going to end up statistically come the end of September.

If Hanigan is finished as a hitter, we'll know late in the season.

I was hoping Mez would do something to warrant more playing time, like hit better or gain the respect of the pitching staff defensively. All you hear is how much the pitchers like Hanigan behind the plate.

Spring Training is simply Spring Training. The real baseball is going on now. Xavier Paul has done well and there are conversations about putting him in the starting lineup. If Mez was hitting well, more people might be on his bandwagon. But he simply doesn't take advantage of his opportunities.
    I totally agree with you and admitted that 2 weeks isn't a barometer for an entire season when I said I doubt hell it .88 all year. But 2 weeks is a decent amount of baseball for a guy to be in a slump, especially with a guy behind him that may very well turn out to be a better player. I know what hanigan means to this pitching staff and defense. I'm not saying bench him completely. I'm just saying let Mes catch three pitchers a few times through the rotation or maybe evey other turn through the rotation so he can learn all of the reds pitchers and we can gain a real barometer of what he will be at the plate. 2 weeks is t enough to judge but neither is 1 to 2 games started a week for a player who was a hot prospect used to everyday play.

One thing is for certain, this discussion has been beat to a pulp.

Turn Off Ads?