Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New or Used DVD shopping

New or Used DVD shopping

I love many of the HBO series, but the DVDs are mucho dinero.

Where do you all shop for DVDs? I'm not an Ebayer, but I've purchased used products from Amazon sellers.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: New or Used DVD shopping

I like Half.com.

Out of a few hundred purchases I had one defective item and the guy gave me my money back without having to return it.

I use mainly eBay and half.com. The vast majority actually come from Half, though I have occassionally found a nice deal for boxed sets on eBay.
    I have only been burnt once through there, and it was not the sellers fault - the DVD was stolen out of my mailbox, most likely (she even provided a tracking number for it, so cannot get any more efficient than that).
    I also sometimes hit Wally world (They have a pretty good 4.50 section, and I get my have-to-get new releases there), and on rare occassions, FYE. Amazingly, I have been burnt at both of those places - FYE sold me a The Critic used DVD with no discs, and Wally World a The Sentinal DVD with no disc - it had been literally cut out of the package by a thifty thief.

deepdiscountdvd.com is a good site. They have low prices and free shipping on everything. They also usually ship items out quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic View Post
    deepdiscountdvd.com is a good site. They have low prices and free shipping on everything. They also usually ship items out quickly.
    I've used them quite a bit and I've never had any issues with them. Huge selection there as well.

I used to sell DVDs and CDs on eBay untill my cheap source dryed up. I got them from an employee store at Columbia House/BMG. They were returned units sometimes, but usually the box had slight damage such as the factory wrap would be torn by a box knife. I sold several hundred and never once got a complaint about quality. I did refund a couple of times due to lost shipping.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

i know you can buy em cheap off Netflix too

La Dolce Vita

I shop back and forth between deepdiscount and amazon, depending on which is cheapest. Just bought "Little Miss Sunshine" at Circuit City, which is not a good idea. Have bought used at flea markets, which is not bad.
    teach tolerance.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm not much for watching a DVD more than once, so I keep those HBO series in my Netflix queue. We've made it through "Six Feet Under" that way and are only 1 disc away from finishing the last season of "Oz." It really disappoints the kids when one of those discs shows up in the Netflix envelope.
    /r/reds

Future Reds All Star

People...please tell TC how easy and fun ebay is or can be!! I put a $5.00 gift certificate in her stocking to just give it a shot. For another 3 to 4 bucks she could get a CD or DVD. She thanked me and then said she was going to give it back to me to find her something cool that is cheap for her! I told her no and the whole point was to get her to do it!!!! I even offered to help! JUST DO IT TC!!

Future Reds All Star

dvdtosell.com, deepdiscountdvd.com, ebay, amazon and overstock.com

I will, I will. It's just that I can hold a business accountable and I generally know what I'm getting.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

I usually use Amazon and deepdiscount.dvd for new dvd purchases. Amazon has a larger selection. deepdiscount.dvd is usually cheaper.
    I have purchsed dvds on ebay. I've only been "burned" on time by an ebay purchase, getting a VHS tape that was defective. I do watch how much I'm willing to bid on ebay. It's one thing to get burned for $12--while I don't like it, I can live with that--another thing to get burned for a large sum.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    I will, I will. It's just that I can hold a business accountable and I generally know what I'm getting.

You would be amazed at how many on eBay and Half are businesses.
    Yes, there are quite a few individuals selling their wares on eBay, but it seems businesses are more and more flocking to eBay (a lot less overhead as compared to opening a store or their own website). Take a look at some of the listings, and take a look at some of the outragious feedback numbers some of these people have: some are more than 10,000. That means more than 10,000 unique users have given that person possitive feedback. And some of the larger and more professional sellers have little if no negative feedback.

I know we are talking DVDs here, but I will give another example.

I am presently working on putting together a low-grade 1933 Goudey set (I plan on posting pictures some day). I have a little bit of 70 percent of it completed - 175 cards total. A few of these cards have been of some pretty good players.
    Many of the guys I have bought from have been around for a while. These are professional sellers, guys who earn their living selling off eBay, and have earned their ratings. If you are unsure of buying off someone, check out their feedback. As a first timer, it might not be a bad idea for you to buy from sellers with feedbacks over 1000 - those tend to be much safer. You will feel more secure. And check out their positive to negative feedback. The true pros will have a feedback over 99 percent.
    In going after my Goudey collection, and following these rules myself, I have not been burned once.

It also does not hurt to check out the eBay "buy it now" feature. Sometimes, you will find your better deals there (and at times, bidding can get carried away).
    And watch those shipping charges.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    You would be amazed at how many on eBay and Half are businesses.
    Yes, there are quite a few individuals selling their wares on eBay, but it seems businesses are more and more flocking to eBay (a lot less overhead as compared to opening a store or their own website).
    ...and I think this has really taken ebay a long way from what it once was. There was a time when ebay searches would turn up nice lists of unique items at potentially great prices. Now you have to fight through ten pages of brand new items that are also available at numerous Web sites, just to get to the unique items offered up by Average Joe's from their personal stuff.

I'm sure ebay loves this, since it is, first and foremost, a business. But I think something has been lost with the evolution.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?