Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Atlanta in July

Moving to Atlanta in July

Hey RZers,

We're moving to Atlanta in July for jobs at Emory University. Just recently took a trip there for the first time and found a place to rent. Very excited for the move, actually -- it seems like a fantastic city from what I can tell so far.

Anyway, I'm interested in any and all advice, suggestions, tips, comments, or wisdom you can offer about moving to Atlanta -- either here or via PM. The weather shouldn't be too much of a shock since we are living in Miami right now, but other than that we really don't know what to expect.

And, of course, if you happen to live nearby in Georgia, I would absolutely love to meet up to watch the Reds some time when they are in town. I would imagine it can get kinda lonely heading to Braves home games if you aren't in good company.

Cheers,

RedEye
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Moving to Atlanta in July

If you don't already play, take up tennis. I found it to be a great way to meet people, and it's a huge part of social life in Atlanta.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

4. Likes:

RedEye (05-29-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    If you don't already play, take up tennis. I found it to be a great way to meet people, and it's a huge part of social life in Atlanta.
    Interesting. You are the second person now to mention this to me. Thanks! I did play in high school, so maybe I'll re-string the old Precision and get out there on the court.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

South Florida will miss you, RedEye!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

7. Likes:

RedEye (05-29-2013)

PM me with some of your info (age? kids? interests?) and I'll get you square with some 411 on the 404 in the next day or two.

9. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Hey RZers,

We're moving to Atlanta in July for jobs at Emory University. Just recently took a trip there for the first time and found a place to rent. Very excited for the move, actually -- it seems like a fantastic city from what I can tell so far.

Anyway, I'm interested in any and all advice, suggestions, tips, comments, or wisdom you can offer about moving to Atlanta -- either here or via PM. The weather shouldn't be too much of a shock since we are living in Miami right now, but other than that we really don't know what to expect.

And, of course, if you happen to live nearby in Georgia, I would absolutely love to meet up to watch the Reds some time when they are in town. I would imagine it can get kinda lonely heading to Braves home games if you aren't in good company.

Cheers,

RedEye

You probably already have heard this, but if you can avoid 75, 85, 285 and 400 at rush hour, DO SO!

Midtown is a nice place for kids or to take a family. Piedmont Park is especially serene. In fact, they're bringing back a thing called "Screen on the Green" to the park this year where once a week during the summer, they play a movie for everyone to watch.

Downtown, be sure to check out Underground Atlanta and the World of Coca-Cola. There's a Six Flags off Interstate 20 a few miles west of town if you're into amusement parks.

If you go to a Braves' game, I've found that it's a little better for parking if you go over to Centennial Park. I've always had better luck getting out of there after games.

And last but not least, it's a beautiful city... especially at sunset. The view from my last apartment rooftop a few years ago:

"No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

11. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

13. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

spend a warm summer day shooting the hooch!!!

15. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

Stay away from Badstreet, Atlanta GA. It's the baddest street in the whole USA.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

17. Likes:

Joseph (07-18-2013),Raisor (06-04-2013),RedEye (06-05-2013)

As you already found a place to live this may come to late, but since you are working at Emory you need to live near campus. Atlanta traffic has earned everything you've ever heard about it.

I'd recommend the Virginia Highlands area. Lots of good small places to eat, great nightlife.

If you want to be in the burbs, highly recommend Peachtree City. Commute would be bad, but it's the best place to live in the metro area.

virginia highlands is nice, I'll agree w/ that. Don't know how far away this is, but the area around ogelthorpe is nice as well.

20. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

Yeah if you are working in Decatur stay inside the loop... or you will live in your car

22. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

Fantastic! Thanks so much for all the info, everyone!

Is there a contingent of Reds or Bengals fans in ATL? Would love to find some folks to watch games with.

Been here since 1995, we live within a few miles of Emory, and our daughter is over there regularly for sports camps, swim meets, etc.

If that's where you're working, then long-term, you want to live Emory/Decatur/Druid Hills/Lake Claire/Candler Park/Inman Park/Morningside.

Let me know if you have kids, or if K-12 schools are going to be on the horizon. We have a 9 year old, so we're pretty familiar with the various school options. I can also speak to a variety of the kiddo sports & activities in the area.

I'll go ahead and throw out some of the restaurants and watering holes that you should put on your To Do list: Antico Pizza, Fox Brothers BBQ, The Brickstore, Community BBQ, Rathbun's, Kevin Rathbun Steak, Restaurant Eugene, Canoe, The Optimist, & JCT Kitchen.

Other institutions that you should check out include the Vortex, the Varsity (eat, have massive digestive distress, and never do it again, but say you've been), Fatt Matt's Rib Shack, & Fellini's Pizza.

If you're here for the 4th of July, the Peachtree Road Race 10K is quite a spectacle. 60,000 runners (world's largest 10k), and the entire course is lined with spectators. Even if you're not a runner, you should plan on doing it. Join the Atlanta Track Club for preferential entry (the lottery always happens in mid-March and it fills up literally within 24-48 hours), and try to get yourself a qualifying time so that you can get out in one of the earlier groups.

The Beltline is a work in progress, but it's going to be a decent step towards addressing the dearth of biking/running/walking spaces in the city. Piedmont Park is great. Plenty of people in this part of town also head out to Stone Mountain for biking, running, etc.

Also, understand that most of the people who live here are not originally from here. College football is hands down king in this part of the world. I grew up in Ohio, so I'm biased towards the Big 10/11/whatever, but having been to a couple of SEC games, I can say that SEC football is an unparalleled experience.

When you're ready to get away, the north GA mountains are 2-ish hours away, Asheville NC is a little further. Reynolds Plantation & Lake Oconee is a good option if you need a quick boating / golfing fix. Skip Lake Lanier. It's a freaking zoo.

Most importantly, know that the Reds make their only trip of the year here July 11-14. In the summer, you want to sit along the 3rd base side, as that's the side of the stadium that falls into the shade as the sun sinks. First base / RF gets the brunt of the late afternoon sun, and that's not at all pleasant. Afternoon games can be particularly brutal.

Good luck with the move, and let me know if you need any other recommendations.

25. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

Brutus -

I'm sure that when you typed "Underground Atlanta", you actually meant "The Georgia Aquarium", right? Having worked near Underground for almost 2 decades, I can tell you that there is 0 reason to go there. 0.

And parking for a Braves game near Centennial Park? I'll give you parking on the west side of 75/85, but Centennial Park is a massive hike from Turner Field. From this part of town, I've never had any issues going down DeKalb/Memorial to Capitol/Piedmont/Hank Aaron. Pre-game grub and a brew at 6 Feet Under is a solid start to an evening.

There are a couple of lots on Hank Aaron that are along the first base line that are great for getting in/out. Near where the Fanplex boondoggle went in. You have to get to them by either coming up from the south side on the interstate, or by working your way through the neighborhoods that are due east of the stadium. But I'd park a bunch of other places for a Braves game before I'd think about Centennial Park.

27. Likes:

jojo (06-05-2013),RedEye (06-05-2013)

Turn Off Ads?