Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Health: What Vitamins and Natural Herbs Do You Take?

For Health: What Vitamins and Natural Herbs Do You Take?

I'm a 50+ year old male who was always, when younger, healthy as a horse. But over the last few years I've started to "suffer" various physical symptoms that simply go along with aging. My body is gradually giving out on me. Of course my mind says otherwise and refuses to listen to the body.

Now one area of concern for aging men is prostrate/prostrate cancer. I've had my troubles over the last few years with chronic prostatitus and various dietary issues. I've had biopsies down in the past, and they've found what they call "irregular" cells. It doesn't mean it's cancer; but it means I need to be monitored regularly. And I am. For any of you that are familiar with what a PSA is, mine has spiked at 6.3 (which is very high).

Besides changing my diet and eating habits - I stay away from spicy foods, pop, caffeine (coffee - for the most part), drink lots of water daily, take fiber, eat more fresh fruits/vegetables - one of the herbs I am starting to take is Saw Palmetto. I was told by a fiend, with a similar problem as mine - that it helps.

Another one I just bought is Omega 3 Fish Oil. I don't have any heart/circulation problems at all. My cholesterol is fine. But I heard it helps with joints, arthritis and such.

So what all do some of you take and recommend?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: For Health: What Vitamins and Natural Herbs Do You Take?

GAC, as you know, I'm much, much younger than you, but I do take a few supplements. In addition to a multi-vitamin, I take an 81 mg aspirin every day for heart health, 1000 mg Omega 3 fish oil softgel daily (again for heart/circulation), Glucosamine/Chondroitin for bones & joints, and Selenium for prostate. One orthopedic surgeon did recently suggest that I take the pill for bones & joints; everything else is self-prescribed. I always drink both tea and potfulls of coffee--according to some studies coffee apparently reduces one's cancer risk. Oh, I drink red grape juice as well.
    Of course I need to exercise a whole lot more and lose weight, either of which is probably more important than all the pills. Reducing stress would also be nice.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I take a multivitamin every morning with a glass of juice and a pill I get from GNC called "Ripped Fuel" that helps with metabolism and energy when I go to the gym. That's about it as far as supplements go though.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

The Cream, The Clear, Colt 45, Beef Jerky.

Glad I could help.
    Stick to your guns.

If you folks read the title quickly, you'll notice that he's talking to me.

Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    Glucosamine/Chondroitin for bones & joints, and Selenium for prostate.
    So I can get these (above) over the counter, such as a GNC store?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    So I can get these (above) over the counter, such as a GNC store?
    Yes. If you really want to freak out some people here, try Wal-Mart.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I take 2 multi vitamins a day. One in the morning and one at night. I take biotin - my hair was falling out at an alarming rate, and since I started taking biotin it hasn't been falling out and looks healthier. I take Omega 3. And I take Glucosamine & Chondroitin, although it doesn't seem to help my ankle. Finally I drink pretty much nothing but water. I'll occasionally have cranberry or orange juice, but not all that often. And I limit alcohol to a drink every couple of months, if that often.

Of course, I'll make an alcohol exception for the Gathering. :all_cohol

Oh and I don't buy any of it at Wal Mart. :
    Last edited by creek14; 03-05-2007 at 09:08 AM.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I drink a lot of tea (hot and iced)... but not herbal teas. Also cannot stand the taste of green tea (which is good for you). Always drink tea w/o sugar (no artifical sweetners as well).

Otherwise I'm in pretty good shape and I've lost 15 pounds last month. Had a scare last month when my regular mammogram showed up abnormal, but another specialized mammogram and ultrasound showed up negative.

The hardest part in keeping fit and healthy is that I HATE to exercise and I have a hard time drinking lots of water.

Rarely drink alcohol - my biggest vice is chocolate (any kind) and pizza... two things among others that I've given up for Lent.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

La Dolce Vita

I hope to get most of what I need from a good, fine-tuned diet, miles of walking + lots of water, but do take a women's multi-vitamin once a day and oyster shell calcium + D twice a day. On the downhill side of 50, I feel better now then I did ten years ago, probably because I decided a while back (due to hypertension and generally feeling crappy) to get back to a natural, comfortable weight for my height and frame (I'm 5'2") and went from 128 down to 105. l
    teach tolerance.

Olive oil and cranberry juice (unfiltered organic)

Those are my supplements.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Olive oil and cranberry juice (unfiltered organic)

Those are my supplements.

Yep...Olive Oil, Garlic, Green Teas, Cranberry Juice or dried cranberries...everyday
    teach tolerance.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    GAC, as you know, I'm much, much younger than you, but I do take a few supplements. In addition to a multi-vitamin, I take an 81 mg aspirin every day for heart health, 1000 mg Omega 3 fish oil softgel daily (again for heart/circulation), Glucosamine/Chondroitin for bones & joints, and Selenium for prostate. One orthopedic surgeon did recently suggest that I take the pill for bones & joints; everything else is self-prescribed. I always drink both tea and potfulls of coffee--according to some studies coffee apparently reduces one's cancer risk. Oh, I drink red grape juice as well.
    Of course I need to exercise a whole lot more and lose weight, either of which is probably more important than all the pills. Reducing stress would also be nice.
    Leaving nothing to chance are you, Counselor..
    teach tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    Yep...Olive Oil, Garlic, Green Teas, Cranberry Juice or dried cranberries...everyday
    My wife inhales green tea, I inhale black tea, she takes a multi vitamin that I occasionally take as well, otherwise tons of tofu and garlic and onions and lots of spice.

I have a friend who lives in Chicago, he's a real estate agent. says he gets his exercise going up stairs. He eats about 8 vitamins a day to get what he thinks he needs.

What he needs is to eat right and exercise.

I take a multi-vitamin and a B-complex every day. The B-complex greatly reduces the number mosquito bites I get in the summer.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?