Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

From Lance's blog:

It's Maloney
    LHP Matt Maloney will start for the Reds Saturday night vs the Cubs. He will be making his Major League debut.
    This season Maloney went 4-3, 2.00 in 10 starts for Class AAA Louisville.
    He will wear uniform number 56.

http://www.1530homer.com/pages/lancesBlog.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Matt Maloney to start Saturday vs Cubs

They finally got it right!

Hooray! Our next I71 Savior is Here.

Maloney could come up and post a 5.50 ERA, but he's worth a shot. He doesn't have anything left to prove in Triple-A. I don't expect him to come up and dominate and I hope no one else does either.

It's finally official?

As of this afternoon, Matt hadn't been notified.

I wish I could be there to see it, but I have to go to a wedding.

Why can't my friends put off spending the rest of their lives together for one more day?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Maloney to pitch Saturday

The easiest to figure out secret of the week is now official. Lefty Matt Maloney will make his big league debut and pitch on Saturday vs. the Cubs. Maloney was 4-3 with a 2.00 ERA in 10 starts for Triple-A Louisville. He had a staff leading 67 1/3 innings and 58 strikeouts.

Besides earning the call-up with his numbers, the timing was perfect for Maloney. The 25-year-old will be pitching on his normal four days rest since he dealt a three-hit shutout with 10 strikeouts for the Bats on Monday. Homer Bailey pitched Tuesday and it wouldn't have been prudent to have him work on short rest.

And for people who care about uniform numbers, Maloney will be wearing No. 56.

Maloney, who calls Columbus his hometown, was acquired in the deadline period trade that sent starting pitcher Kyle Lohse to the Phillies on July 30, 2007. Considering that the Phillies didn't go far in the playoffs that season and Lohse is now with the Cardinals, this is a plus-deal for the Reds and former GM Wayne Krivsky -- especially if he can do well in the big leagues. Maloney is far from a power pitcher and throws his fastball in the mid-to-high 80s but relies on deception and off-speed.

In Spring Training, Maloney only pitched in two games and gave up four earned runs and six hits in three innings.

Trivia: Maloney will be only the second left-hander started for the Reds in 236games. Adam Pettyjohn was the other when he started on the last day of the 2008 season vs. the Cardinals.

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

I think he's also the second Maloney to pitch for the Reds.

Jim Maloney being the other, of course (I don't think there is any relation).

I hope he doesn't stink up the joint.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Good for Matt. He's earned his the shot.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    I think he's also the second Maloney to pitch for the Reds.

Jim Maloney being the other, of course (I don't think there is any relation).

I hope he doesn't stink up the joint.
    He is the second Maloney but no relation, Jim could throw 98mph
    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser."

Let's hope he dominates like Jim Maloney. Most dominant Reds pitcher I've seen in watching Reds for 55 years.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Maloney could come up and post a 5.50 ERA, but he's worth a shot. He doesn't have anything left to prove in Triple-A. I don't expect him to come up and dominate and I hope no one else does either.
    For sure. Not sure if he has the stuff to stick in the majors, but eventually you have to find out what you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    For sure. Not sure if he has the stuff to stick in the majors, but eventually you have to find out what you have.
    Jamie moyer says hello.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He's done well at every level he's pitched at.

A ceiling of a #4-5 starter (possibly even #3)? Nothing wrong with that.

Sometimes I think we get too concerned with "stuff" and miss out on the solid pitchers that are right under our noses.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    Jamie moyer says hello.
    Yikes! If Matt Maloney turns into Jamie Moyer I'll be in my 80's before he retires!

I'd like to see that but I'm not sure it's a good thing for me personally.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Yikes! If Matt Maloney turns into Jamie Moyer I'll be in my 80's before he retires!

I'd like to see that but I'm not sure it's a good thing for me personally.

Rem
    Talking bout his stuff, you goof.

Turn Off Ads?