Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Super Bowl - Seahawks Broncos

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Re: Super Bowl - Seahawks Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    I think your memory is foggy muta....the performance by the whole team was subpar, not just Manning. Arguments could be made that neither interception was Mannings fault. Any game where you break a Super Bowl record for completions isn't one of the most embarrassing games, even if you don't win said game!
    Hey I'm one of the biggest Peyton apologists today after that game, but no argument can be made for the second interception being anything but 100% on Manning and Manning. That was legitimately one of the dumbest throws I've ever seen an NFL QB make.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Hey I'm one of the biggest Peyton apologists today after that game, but no argument can be made for the second interception being anything but 100% on Manning and Manning. That was legitimately one of the dumbest throws I've ever seen an NFL QB make.
    The one where his elbow was hit?

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Just looked it up on YouTube, he was going deep on that play. The depending on where he was throwing it, he coulda been throwing him open. But with getting hit on the elbow the ball popped up and the other receiver coming outa the backfield didn't even try to get the ball. I'm not seeing how that was Peytons fault.the first one, I could go either way on. Denver has said that the receiver broke off the route early, who knows, you could see the coaching staff immediately talking to Thomas on the sideline afterwards. If you want tom give that to Peyton i wouldn't argue much on that one.

Any game where you break a Super Bowl record for completions isn't one of the most embarrassing games, even if you don't win said game!

Michael Kay on ESPN referred to this "record" today and said it proved the truth of Vin Scully's statement:

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."

6. Likes:

klw (02-04-2014)

Hey Dub- I think you might have a shot at this competition.
    If you win, can i get a finder's fee?

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...ion-no-13.html

The early favorite: "Wait, it started at six-thirty?"

8. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-04-2014),RedTeamGo! (02-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    You don't have Green Bay in your top 10? Think ARod is going to break his collarbone again? Please PM me, maybe we can work something out. The boys in Vegas have Green bay at 16 -1 which is 5th best. Maybe I can do better with you.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,2411767.story
    It's the Packers' Defense.

Their Run-Defense was 5th worst in the NFL.
    Their Pass-Rush was 4th worst in the NFL.
    Their Pass-Coverage was 20th in the NFL.
    Their Special Teams was 3rd worst in the NFL.

Those are four major areas of concern that even a healthy Aaron Rodgers can't overcome. One draft with one free agency period can't begin to get their Defense to respectability. Overall, they aren't as good as Arizona, Kansas City, or San Diego, who did not make my Top-10. New England probably has good low odds, but they aren't in my Top-12, either, and maybe not my Top-15.

The Packers are a mirror image of Atlanta...great Quarterback with one great Wide Receiver and some other good ones, but no Tight End and an Offensive Line with major problems (though much, much better than Atlanta's) and a horrible Defense.

The Packers need at least half a dozen new starters on Defense out of the 11 positions. They are a complete mess. There just isn't any talent there.

Rodgers has had great seasons in the past behind bad Offensive Lines. He has two solid players in Sitton and Lang. Bahktiari played decently for a Rookie O-Lineman. They'll go with him again hoping he'll improve on what he did this season. The 49er's manhandled him after he began coming on at the end of the season. The same is true of Barclay, an undrafted FA from 2012, who came on the second half as a pass-blocker, but who also was manhandled vs the 49er's. He was terrible at run-blocking all year long. Needs to add strength, while also learning technique. Either way, the Packers need to get competition for him for camp. If they lose Evan Dietrich-Smith to Free Agency, they'll have to replace him with a 4th Round pick from 2013. Giving Rodgers a new Center is going backwards.

The Packers were stupid to use a 4th Round pick on RB Johnathan Franklin last season after they had already grabbed Eddie Lacy (this year's Offensive ROY by the AP). With the team so void of talent, they needed help throughout their Defense, especially their Secondary and D-Line. Getting a player who could help both on Special Teams and in the Secondary or D-Line would have been of much more importance. Dozens of players could have helped more. The very next pick in the draft, William Gholston, played well for Tampa Bay the second half of the season as a D-Lineman.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 02-03-2014 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    here is my top five:
    5. Tom Brady. I can't argue with his record. But for two rallies by Eli Manning he could have five Super Bowl rings.
    4. Bart Starr. He may be 4th on this list, but there is no NFL player ever that I respect more than Mr. Starr, who has five titles and was great in the clutch. He outplayed great QBs again and again when it mattered most. He would have been great in a west coast offense as well.
    3. John Elway. He had a ton of great comebacks and had the arm and athletic ability to have been great in any era.
    2. Roger Staubach. Captain Comeback also had the arm and mobility to thrive in any era.
    1. Joe Montana. His resume against the Bengals is argument enough.
    I have no argument against that as a Top-5. Growing up, it was #14 that I wore as a jersey.

Sorry mistake. See next post.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 02-04-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    It's the Packers' Defense.

Their Run-Defense was 5th worst in the NFL.
    Their Pass-Rush was 4th worst in the NFL.
    Their Pass-Coverage was 20th in the NFL.
    Their Special Teams was 3rd worst in the NFL.

Those are four major areas of concern that even a healthy Aaron Rodgers can't overcome. One draft with one free agency period can't begin to get their Defense to respectability. Overall, they aren't as good as Arizona, Kansas City, or San Diego, who did not make my Top-10. New England probably has good low odds, but they aren't in my Top-12, either, and maybe not my Top-15.

The Packers are a mirror image of Atlanta...great Quarterback with one great Wide Receiver and some other good ones, but no Tight End and an Offensive Line with major problems (though much, much better than Atlanta's) and a horrible Defense.

The Packers need at least half a dozen new starters on Defense out of the 11 positions. They are a complete mess. There just isn't any talent there.

Rodgers has had great seasons in the past behind bad Offensive Lines. He has two solid players in Sitton and Lang. Bahktiari played decently for a Rookie O-Lineman. They'll go with him again hoping he'll improve on what he did this season. The 49er's manhandled him after he began coming on at the end of the season. The same is true of Barclay, an undrafted FA from 2012, who came on the second half as a pass-blocker, but who also was manhandled vs the 49er's. He was terrible at run-blocking all year long. Needs to add strength, while also learning technique. Either way, the Packers need to get competition for him for camp. If they lose Evan Dietrich-Smith to Free Agency, they'll have to replace him with a 4th Round pick from 2013. Giving Rodgers a new Center is going backwards.

The Packers were stupid to use a 4th Round pick on RB Johnathan Franklin last season after they had already grabbed Eddie Lacy (this year's Offensive ROY by the AP). With the team so void of talent, they needed help throughout their Defense, especially their Secondary and D-Line. Getting a player who could help both on Special Teams and in the Secondary or D-Line would have been of much more importance. Dozens of players could have helped more. The very next pick in the draft, William Gholston, played well for Tampa Bay the second half of the season as a D-Lineman.
    Considering Thompson drafted Lacy in the second round (a really special talent) and Bakhtiari in the fourth round (a solid starting left tackle for years to come), criticising his 2013 draft is being a bit unreasonable wouldn't you agree?

Packers defense was very disappointing last year but what can you excpect when you subtract an all pro playmaker like Matthews. In addition, no NfL team was decimated with injuries like the Packers were last year. yet despite not having perhaps the best quarterback in the game for half the year, they still made the Playoffs and had the 49ers even until the last play of the game. And as we saw, there is little to choose from between Seattle and san francisco, but a big gap between the best in the AFC and the best in the NFC. Packers need a center and some help at linebacker and maybe in the defensive line. Barring injuries they are not that far away.

In any event the boys in Vegas disagree with you, giving the Packers the 5th best odds to win next years Superbowl. But rather you and I talking smack, lets make it interesting. Send me a PM. How about Green Bay vs Philly, best record, even money. i wait to hear from you. I'm sure we can work something out.
    Last edited by Mutaman; 02-04-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    Considering Thompson drafted Lacy in the second round (a really special talent) and Bakhtiari in the fourth round (a solid starting left tackle for years to come), criticising his 2013 draft is being a bit unreasonable wouldn't you agree?

Packers defense was very disappointing last year but what can you excpect when you subtract an all pro playmaker like Matthews. In addition, no NfL team was decimated with injuries like the Packers were last year. yet despite not having perhaps the best quarterback in the game for half the year, they still made the Playoffs and had the 49ers even until the last play of the game. And as we saw, there is little to choose from between Seattle and san francisco, but a big gap between the best in the AFC and the best in the NFC. Packers need a center and some help at linebacker and maybe in the defensive line. Barring injuries they are not that far away.

In any event the boys in Vegas disagree with you, giving the Packers the 5th best odds to win next years Superbowl. But rather you and I talking smack, lets make it interesting. Send me a PM. How about Green Bay vs Philly, best record, even money. i wait to hear from you. I'm sure we can work something out.
    The Packers' draft was excellent. When you get the Offensive ROY and a Starting O-Lineman in a later round, who as I said, played decently for a Rookie O-lineman, that's an excellent draft. It doesn't remove the stupid mistake of taking Franklin, though, when there was so much need overall on the team.

Yes, the Packers were devastated last season by injuries. WR1, WR2, Slot Receiver, TE, SS, etc., etc. Burnett went from being one of the best Safeties in the NFL and in one season became a liability. I didn't see that coming as I loved Morgan Burnett. You mentioned they need a LB, but of their Defensive areas, LB is their strength, led by Hawk. But, the seriously need a couple of starters on the D-Line along with three new Starters in the Secondary.

That they are in the weakest Division in the NFL helps them tremendously. Chicago is atrocious, Minnesota can't be fixed in one season, even by the great Zimmer, while Detroit is the Cleveland of the NFC. The Packers will win another Division Title, but lose their first round playoff game against whomever they happen to play, as there is just too huge of a disparity between them and the Top-5 teams in the NFC.

I'll pm you tomorrow and we can do something. It's one more way to enjoy the season.

FWIW, I do support the Packers. Always rooting for them when I can. But, first loyalties go to the Bengals, then the Seahawks. But, after that it's probably equal between the Packers, Chargers and Eagles.

14. Likes:

Mutaman (02-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post

Next season's favorites in my opinion, of course:

#1 Seattle
    #2 Carolina
    #3 San Francisco
    #4 New Orleans
    #5 Philadelphia (there's no such thing as "adjusting" to Chip Kelly next season, as he hasn't even begun to unleash his knowledge onto the league, while he'll be in on his first draft as a Head Coach trying to add players to his club both on Offense and on Defense for the first time....Philadelphia will be much better, though they aren't likely to win a playoff game in the dominating NFC)
    #6 Denver
    #7 San Diego
    #8 Indianapolis
    #9 Cincinnati
    #10 Arizona
    Your top five are all NFC teams. While I might re-arrange the teams just a bit I generally agree that any team coming out of the NFC will probably be a prohibitive favortie to win the Super Bowl next year. Right now my favorites would be Seattle at no. 1 and San Francisco as 1A.
    It is interesting how one league or conference has tended to have long periods of dominance over the other. After the AFL was formed in 1960, the NFL sneered at the perceived lack of quality of AFL teams, a sneer that seemed to be warranted after the Packers easily won the first two Super Bowls in 1967 and 1968.
    That sneer disappeared after the Jets and Chiefs won the next two Super Bowls. From 1969 through 1981, the AFL/SFC won 11 out of 13 Super Bowls. At that time NBC telecast AFC games and had an ad referring the "the best of the NFL: The American Football Conference."
    There was a brief period of parity in the early 1980s, as the 49ers and Redskins won Super Bowls, but the Raiders then won in dominating fashion in 1984, and with a draft haul of QBs in the 1983 draft that included Elway and Marino, the AFC looked to be ready to extend its reign.
    Instead the NFC then won 13 straight Super Bowls from 1985 through 1997, most of them in blow outs.
    Denver came into the 1998 Super Bowl as a big underdog, but the Broncos upset the Packers. The AFC then put together a string of winning 9 out of the next 12 Super Bowls.
    The NFC has now won four of the last five Super Bowls.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    So, can we finally put to rest the ridiculous notion that only traditional dropback passers are capable of leading teams to Superbowl wins?
    It's still a league where defense and running the ball wins championships. Moreno had 5 rushes THE ENTIRE game. Manning tried to single handily win this game and all that did was allow Averill and that line to pin their ears back knowing Denver wasn't even trying to run it.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Just looked it up on YouTube, he was going deep on that play. The depending on where he was throwing it, he coulda been throwing him open. But with getting hit on the elbow the ball popped up and the other receiver coming outa the backfield didn't even try to get the ball. I'm not seeing how that was Peytons fault.
    Agree with the latter. QBs make throws under heavy pressure all the time where the arm could be hit during the throw, but it usually isn't. And when it is, the ball usually goes nowhere in particular. It was just one of those today-isn't-your-day deals.

Manning didn't have a good day, but it wasn't one of those games where you can say "if not for Peyton, Denver would have won". It's a team sport and the whole team got pounded in all phases. It reminded me of some of those old Colts playoff games where they would run into a team that just looked better across the board (e.g. the Patriots) and you'd wonder how Indy ended up with such a high seed in the first place.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

18. Likes:

dubc47834 (02-04-2014),Revering4Blue (02-04-2014),Roy Tucker (02-04-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Manning didn't have a good day, but it wasn't one of those games where you can say "if not for Peyton, Denver would have won". It's a team sport and the whole team got pounded in all phases. It reminded me of some of those old Colts playoff games where they would run into a team that just looked better across the board (e.g. the Patriots) and you'd wonder how Indy ended up with such a high seed in the first place.
    Can't help but think the first few plays of the game should have been scripted. It isn't Manning's game, but with SB jitters a muck, a safe call should have been made.

IMO the key play to the game happened early, Kam Chancellor blew up Thomas on a crossing route that Denver loved to play. It pretty much sent a message to Denver that they had the rub routes covered.

Peyton was terrible, happy feet, bad decisions, looked snake bitten the entire game. If you told me before the game it would have been a blow out I would have though Denver would have been on the winning end. In previous SB blowouts you kinda expected them. Can't say I expected a Manning led Denver team to get destroyed.

Did Fox forget how to coach? Did Denver make any half time adjustments? Did Denver forget how to tackle? What in the world happened?

When NE dominated Peyton years ago they used Ty Law to shut down one side of the field. Seattle did pretty much the same thing with Richard Sherman. What was ironic was when Fox showed the replay of Denver WR's they were all blanketed, no one was open. Sherman was right about Manning's ducks, the deep ball looked pretty poor, and those floaters that he was completing in prior games weren't against Seattle.

Russel Wilson played a great game. Made a ton of key 3rd down plays that put Denver away before half.

Turn Off Ads?