Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felix Perez sent to AA

Felix Perez sent to AA

Felix Perez is now showing up on the AA roster.

Also, Luis Terrero has been activated from the AAA disabled list and sent to AA, despite a 1.012 ops and 8 home runs in 86 AAA at bats.

Denis Phipps and Chris McMurray have been demoted to A+.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Felix Perez sent to AA

Figured Perez would be at AA soon enough.

Yeah, you knew it was going to happen sooner or later. Will this mean Dave Sappelt gets a lot of time in left field with Sean Henry and Luis Terrero splitting time in right feld? If that's the case, I could see Sean Danielson getting cut soon.

Guess we will see if he is going to be a major league player now...

Resident PED Expert

If they keep up his rate of promotion he should be in AAA right before the playoffs. Which gives him an outside shot of making the team in Spring Training. Also gives Chapman a close friend, from a familiar place to be around.

From Baseball America:

Felix Perez wasn't under contract with any organization last year. He had agreed to terms with the Yankees in the spring of 2009, but that deal fell apart when the U.S. Consulate discovered the Cuban outfielder had lied about his age. Perez, 25, was suspended for a year, then signed a contract for $550,000 with the Reds in May.

After a 16-game warmup in the Rookie-level Dominican Summer League, Perez came to the U.S. and hit .338/.397/.462 in 16 games for high Class A Lynchburg. The lefty-hitting Perez made his Double-A debut yesterday, going 2-for-5 with a double for Carolina. Perez is older than most prospects in the Southern League, but being a Cuban defector, he's not your average 25-year-old in Double-A. His ceiling isn't huge, but he should be at least a useful fourth outfielder if not better at some point soon.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...9541#more-9541

His BA is very impressive at every level. He has a sweet stroke and is alreay one of the guys to watch here. He fit right in here from day one. He put one over the right field wall yesterday on a rope, a thing of beauty.

Sounds like a So Taguchi kind of player i.e. great 4th OFer. Any idea how well he plays on the defensive side?

Quote Originally Posted by BoxingRed View Post
    Sounds like a So Taguchi kind of player i.e. great 4th OFer. Any idea how well he plays on the defensive side?
    I saw him play a couple times in Lynchburg and a couple games here. I don't know that I can really speak to his defense other than to say I haven't seen any mistakes in four games.

For perspective, he's exactly one year older than Daryl Thompson.

Who seems like a better defensive CF- Perez or Sappelt?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Who seems like a better defensive CF- Perez or Sappelt?
    Since Perez arrived in Carolina, he's been playing CF with Sappelt in LF. Of course, it could be that, since Perez is closer to the big leagues, they're simply making sure to give him a good dose of the position he'll probably play. My impression has always been that Sappelt's defense in CF is his best asset . . . So, bottom line, I don't really know. But for the moment they're going with Perez.

Having said that . . . Today, Sappelt is in CF and Perez in LF. And Sean Henry in RF. That would seem to be a very good defensive outfield.

-The Insider-

Perez has really done well. He knows hardly any English but is a very, very nice guy. For some reason, he really likes me. The other day I got to the field really early and was hanging out around the clubhouse, I went out to the cage and hit in the cage with him and tried to communicate with him.
    He is very interesting, just his situation, being a defector and now in his first year of Pro baseball and not knowing anyone and the whole new culture. He has a friend with him who videos every at bat and he uploads them onto his laptop and watches them to critique himself.

Turn Off Ads?