Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 67 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoosier Hoops

Re: Hoosier Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan View Post
    As a Buckeye basketball fan, and college basketball fan in general, I just wanted to add that I wish more people could just get the joy from watching their team develop and improve over the year instead of expecting 20-point blowouts and 2-loss seasons every year. The attitude you espouse (probably for the sake of you own sanity this year! ) is one that I certainly appreciate in all college basketball fans. Good luck with your team this year. I know I'll be rooting for Indiana (in most games)!
    Thanks bucksfan!

All of the Hoosier fans I know feel the same way I do. The excitement level is still high even though we know this team is going to lose lots of games. They will still be fun to watch and everyone is just thrilled with the fact they can be proud to be an IU fan again.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sanctions could be announced today. Per the Indy Star.

NCAA Sanctions coming today?

Sources close to Indiana University's NCAA basketball recruiting infractions case expect a decision to be announced today.

IU is charged with five major violations during the tenure of former basketball coach Kelvin Sampson. IU is at risk for scholarship cuts and recruiting restrictions beyond those self-imposed, plus possible postseason ineligibility.

Announcement is at 4:00 today, according to the Herald Times. Rumors out of Indy are another lost scholarship, no postseason ban. We'll see soon enough.

And here we go, courtesy of Terry Hutchens:

Indiana University will receive three years probation from the NCAA for recruiting violations under former men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson but will not be further penalized, sources close to the investigation told The Indianapolis Star today.

The infractions committee accepted IU’s self-administered sanctions, including a reduction of scholarships and recruiting limitations, as sufficient. The school was found guilty of “failure to monitor” the program, said a source who has read the NCAA’s report, but the committee used softer language than in the original accusation.

Sampson, now an assistant with the NBA’s Milwaukee Bucks, was given a five-year “show cause” penalty, which essentially prevents NCAA schools from hiring him. Rob Senderoff, a former IU assistant and now an assistant at Kent State, was given a three-year show case penalty. It’s not yet clear how he will be affected.

The official announcement will come in a teleconference with reporters at 4 p.m. today.

Probation is defined by the NCAA rulebook as “designed on a case-by-case basis to focus on the institution’s administrative weaknesses.” It is supposed to include written reports from the school to the infractions committee and in-person reviews of the school’s compliance policies by an NCAA administrator.

However, in a year-long study released last month by the infractions committee on possible changes in enforcement policy, committee members said that in actual practice, written reports and in-person checks “have never been imposed as mandatory in all cases.”

If a school fails to satisfy the terms of probation, the infractions committee may extend the probation and impose new sanctions.

Works for me. I don't think Crean will have any problem staying well within the rule book so the probation is no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

IU got smoked by St Josephs today, 80-54. The Hoosiers had 23 turnovers in this one. Malik Story led them in scoring with a whopping 9 points.

Kelvin Sampson FIVE YEAR show cause penalty.

For once the NCAA does something right. Keep that scumbag away from the college game. Let him stay in the NBA if he wants to coach.
    Last edited by WMR; 11-26-2008 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Kelvin Sampson FIVE YEAR show cause penalty.

For once the NCAA does something right. Keep that scumbag away from the college game. Let him stay in the NBA if he wants to coach.
    He basically got $750,000 to just go away after ruining a program and then is making a couple hundred grand to coach in the NBA. I think he will be ok.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    He basically got $750,000 to just go away after ruining a program and then is making a couple hundred grand to coach in the NBA. I think he will be ok.
    That's not the point. He was already an extremely wealthy man.

Keeping him out of the college game for a half-decade is the victory here.

That's not the point. He was already an extremely wealthy man.

Keeping him out of the college game for a half-decade is the victory here.

He won't coach in college again unles it's Division 3 or NAIA. He's a regular Typhoid Kelvin. As for IU, I think the punishment fit the crime. That's about what they should get for being stupid enough to hire him in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I share your sentiment WMR. Keep him out of the college game. I still can't believe IU was that stupid. Oh well, at least they got it right this time.

CREAN AND CRIMSON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I still can't believe IU was that stupid. Oh well, at least they got it right this time.

Hey its not like IU was stupid enough to hire a guy like Bill Lynch for their football program.

Oh ...wait a minute..
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Hey its not like IU was stupid enough to hire a guy like Bill Lynch for their football program.

Oh ...wait a minute..
    I give them a pass on that. They did it because they thought Hep would have wanted it. Losing him left an enormous hole in the program and I think they did what they felt was the honorable thing to do. Having your tremendously popular head coach die will do things like that.
    Does Lynch suck as a head coach? Of course. And he'll be gone soon.
    Look for the new AD to try to land someone of Crean's abilities.
    I have even heard Kelly mentioned at Nick's, which as a UC fan leaves me cringing.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He won't coach in college again unles it's Division 3 or NAIA. He's a regular Typhoid Kelvin. As for IU, I think the punishment fit the crime. That's about what they should get for being stupid enough to hire him in the first place.
    You know Chip, I wish I shared your optimism in regards to ALL D-1 schools staying away from Kelvin...

It's amazing how many 2nd, 3rd, 4th... 10th chances winning will get you.

I don't think he'd get a sniff of one of the "premier" coaching jobs, but I could honestly see some lower-tiered D-1 AD hiring him after a year or so.

You know Chip, I wish I shared your optimism in regards to ALL D-1 schools staying away from Kelvin...

It's amazing how many 2nd, 3rd, 4th... 10th chances winning will get you.

I don't think he'd get a sniff of one of the "premier" coaching jobs, but I could honestly see some lower-tiered D-1 AD hiring him after a year or so.

I doubt it. He's a two time loser and even though this show cause restriction is only for 5 years, I would think that any D-1 school that even thinks of hiring him after those 5 years is going to raise the NCAA's radar and if they actually hire him, that school is going to have the NCAA looking at them with a microscope. That program will have to be so clean they are going to have to squeak. You think any school is going to want that scrutiny? Sampson will be better off in the pros where he doesn't have to worry about that stuff.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?