Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Hamilton confirms tensions in the Reds clubhouse...

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Josh Hamilton confirms tensions in the Reds clubhouse...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseb...Hamilton_N.htm

...Yet, away from the ballpark, Hamilton remains virtually alone. He usually goes straight to his hotel with Johnny Narron, his mentor and confidant. Narron, brother of former Reds manager Jerry Narron, was hired by Texas after being Hamilton's "guardian angel" last year with Cincinnati. They always get adjoining rooms. Narron knows where Hamilton is at all times. Hamilton, not permitted to venture out alone, never carries more than $20 in his wallet, helping resist temptation.

"It'd be nice to hang out with him and have a couple of drinks," Catalanotto says, "but that's not going to happen. We understand that."

He has ventured out a few times with teammates and says he feels more accepted by his Texas teammates than in Cincinnati last year, when no one invited him out. He sensed jealousy and perhaps resentment over the attention his comeback story received.

"I even heard comments that I was signing too many autographs for the fans," he says. "It just got worse as the year went on."

The discord played no factor in the trade, but, Krivsky said: "There were issues in the clubhouse. Maybe that stuff would have gone by the boards had he stayed."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Josh Hamilton confirms tensions in the Reds clubhouse...

Seems like Josh wants to have it both ways. He's upset that guys wouldn't ask him to go out but then we read stories about him turning guys down because he can't be in their environment when they do go out.

I think the tension is more of a natural result of his situation and the fine line he's trying to walk than anything specifically going on in Cincy.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 07-03-2008 at 12:33 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I think I remember comments by Phillips at one point last year saying something like, "there are other players on this team than Josh Hamilton" or something to that effect. He seemed irritated with all the questions surrounding Hamilton and his comeback story.

Honestly, not being able to go out and toss a few back with the boys probably did little to knock down any walls that might have been there. Sad to say, but probably true.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Seems like Josh wants to have it both ways. He's upset that guys wouldn't ask he to go out but then we read stories about him turning guys down because he can't be in their environment when they do go out.
    I didn't read it that way at all. He knows he can't go, but it would have been nice to be asked... he wasn't. And that may be because his Cincinnati teammates knew he couldn't go. But, apparently, that hasn't stopped his Texas colleagues from at least asking.

I have no doubt whatsoever that there was a bit of jealousy towards Josh in the Reds clubhouse... not for his situation but regarding his talent. And Phillips being one of them doesn't surprise me either. I remember the remark.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Phillips said it was more than just Griffey, Bailey, and Hamilton....I believe. I know there was more than just Hamilton on his list. It was when a lot of attention was being paid to Hammy, and Juniors HR chase and maybe Bailey's debut. I don't recall exactly.

I think the clubhouse is likely highly dysfunctional however I don't think the situation here for Josh was the fault of the Reds or his team mates. As stated, he turned down invitations and such so it is a lot like Josh wants it both ways.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I have no doubt whatsoever that there was a bit of jealousy towards Josh in the Reds clubhouse... not for his situation but regarding his talent. And Phillips being one of them doesn't surprise me either. I remember the remark.
    I'll agree with this. I know a lot of people here love Phillips. But for me, he's a slighty more refined version of Ocho-Cinco. Happy and fun loving when things are going well and he's getting the love. Not so much when things aren't going well and/or the spotlight is somewhere else.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

one of the problems socially is that employees want to complain about the employer (Narron) but can't with Narron's surrogate (Hamilton and his Siamese twin) around

but I swear, it's like the Reds players don't even want to win. bunch of seventh grade girls.

I love the Josh Hamilton story, but I think the Reds did the right thing with him, it seems like he's right there face to face with the demons and if it was my ball team I wouldnt want that lurking just my opinion. Also as long as Narron is there his teammates will never be 100% relaxed. On the other hand anyone else think that Phillips needs special attention? He also had an incident with the press where he said something about the press only coming around him when he's hitting the ball well. Duh!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Doesn't seem that the Texas players have a problem with the Josh Hamilton story...and the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    one of the problems socially is that employees want to complain about the employer (Narron) but can't with Narron's surrogate (Hamilton and his Siamese twin) around

but I swear, it's like the Reds players don't even want to win. bunch of seventh grade girls.
    I agree with your last statement. That type of jealousy is just childish. It also shows the lack of leadership the Reds have in their clubhouse. Good,veteran leadership in the clubhouse goes a long way towards winning.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by princeton View Post
    That's not fair to seventh grade girls.

In all seriousness, it will be very interesting to watch the change unfold in team mentality as the club undergoes the anticipated turnover before next season. Phillips likes to talk about his readiness to assume the vocal leadership role. I hope for his sake he has broad shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz View Post
    That's not fair to seventh grade girls.

In all seriousness, it will be very interesting to watch the change unfold in team mentality as the club undergoes the anticipated turnover before next season. Phillips likes to talk about his readiness to assume the vocal leadership role. I hope for his sake he has broad shoulders.
    It's the kind of leadership we had in 1999 with Greg Vaughn, Barry Larkin, and Pete Harnisch. That team was more than the sum of its parts, and that's a big reason why, IMO.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    I didn't read it that way at all. He knows he can't go, but it would have been nice to be asked... he wasn't. And that may be because his Cincinnati teammates knew he couldn't go. But, apparently, that hasn't stopped his Texas colleagues from at least asking.
    Better than asking knowing the guy can't go is to once-in-awhile do something the guy could enjoy with you.

On the flipside maybe he is not all that tolerable for any length of time?

GL

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Hamilton was a featured speaker at last year's Faith Day at GABP. If he was wearing his religion on his sleeve, that might have been a turnoff for some teammates.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Doesn't seem that the Texas players have a problem with the Josh Hamilton story...and the circumstance.
    But the circumstances are fundamentally different. Texas traded their highly regarded (potential at least) pitching prospect for Hamilton. Hamilton was established as a Major Leaguer, he didn't have to prove he was capable of hitting MLB pitching as he already had done that. The Reds on the other hand took a chance on him, didn't give up anything and gave him a chance. He had been out of the game and what many would consider as an absolute failure. He comes to the Reds and both fans and media alike have adoration for him. Fans cheered louder for Hamilton than players who had proven themselves to be MLB players which dented their ego's. I am sure some thought why is it that an ex-druggie minor league prospect flame-out is getting more attention from the home crowd than they were.

Of course Hamilton would prove that he was worthy of that, but I doubt that initial reception did him any favors. Texas players see him as an equal and as a pretty darn good 26 year old coming in to help their team win. Reds players saw him as a PR story, a guy who didn't deserve that kind of chance (he didn't have to work his way through the minor league ranks like most did) and possibly as a guy who took away a job from a hard working player who had to go to AAA because of Hamilton. Texas players didn't have to face what the Reds players did because as an established MLB player, they saw him worthy of the praise he got, be it as a person or a player.... he was 'one of them.' The Reds players likely never got over the fact that he came in different and was treated differently from fans and media, therefore he was an outsider.

Turn Off Ads?