Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a short reminder

Just a short reminder

Aaron Harang is now 13-5 with a 3.74. I only mention this because he was much maligned last year and maybe the year before. Which starters can have those stats? Not Bailey, nor Leake, nor nor Volquez, nor Arroyo, nor anyone save Cueto. The guy pitched 7 innings tonight allowing 4 hits and a run. But then again, he's pitching in Petco Park, but was he the guy to release and not Arroyo. Aaron was a good citizen. Hindsight is 20/20, but did the Reds really give him a chance?

Regardless, I hope he continues to shine. He deserves it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just a short reminder

Me thinks Arroyo would have similar/better results in Petco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Hes not what he used to be in his better days with the Reds, but its nice to see hes doing better then how he finished with the Reds.

13 wins this season his 1 more win then he had in his final 2 seasons with the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Me thinks Arroyo would have similar/better results in Petco.
    Not all of Aaron's wins have been in San Diego.

He wasn't released, he just wasn't resigned after three high-paid, disappointing seasons. I really liked Aaron and still root for him, but there's little doubt in my mind it was time to let him start anew after 2010.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    but was he the guy to release and not Arroyo. Aaron was a good citizen. Hindsight is 20/20, but did the Reds really give him a chance?
    Harang's contract was up. There was a 12.5M club option for 2011. Seeing that he went 6-17 in 2008, 6-14 in 2009, 6-7 last year (and was on the DL), I have no problem with what the Reds did. So the Reds gave him a chance.

And best of luck to Aaron who is from San Diego to begin with.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Not all of Aaron's wins have been in San Diego.
    He actually WINS more on the road, but he PITCHES better in Petco:

Code:
    SPLIT	TEAM	W	L	ERA	G	GS	CG	SHO	IP	H	R	ER	HR	HB	BB	IBB	SO	AVG	WHIP	GO/AO
    Home     SD	7	4	3.30	15	15	0	0	95.1	86	38	35	11	3	32	2	64	.243	1.24	1.12
    Away     SD	6	1	4.47	10	10	0	0	56.1	72	29	28	5	0	21	2	48	.319	1.65	0.94
    CAREER          94	92	4.27	265	259	13	6	1603.1	1704	807	761	213	46	460	36	1317	.274	1.35	0.88
    I join GAC and everyone else in saying I have no problem with the Reds decision to not re-sign him and I wish him all the best in the rest of his career.
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 09-08-2011 at 04:37 AM.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Personally, I'm kinda stunned by the 2:1 Ratio in HR's allowed at home vs the road.

Good for Harang. I, for one, am surprised he's bounced back so well. It looked to me like he'd completely lost his slider in his latter days with the Reds. It was pretty clear he'd been beaten down by the homer-friendly home ballpark, too.

He's basically the same pitcher as the last few years.

Toss in some reasonable luck and a pitcher's park, and he was a prime rebound candidate. Nothing special, but a solid back end rotation guy at this point.

Code:
    	K%	BB%	HR/FB	BABIP	ERA	FIP	xFIP
    2010	16.3	7.5	10.4	.338	5.32	4.60	4.42
    2011	17.4	8.2	 8.6	.309	3.74	4.02	4.17
    You can decide to what degree his lessened HR rate is a function of park effects, but as I see it, the advanced stats had this pegged. He's basically the guy, he's allowed fewer homers and has seen his BABIP regress to normal. It's James Shields lite.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    ..... but did the Reds really give him a chance?

How can it ever be suggested that we did not give him a chance?

He's the same pitcher he's been with the Reds the last couple years, just with more luck and a better ballpark. No improvement in peripherals, no increase in velocity, etc. Citing his win loss record tells us nothing. The Reds did not make a mistake in letting Harang go.

Harang is an awesome guy, used to be one of my favorite Reds, so I'm happy to see his results look shiny in Petco, but I'm not missing him.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Personally, I'm kinda stunned by the 2:1 Ratio in HR's allowed at home vs the road.
    Probably has something to do with the nearly 2:1 IP ratio...

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    How can it ever be suggested that we did not give him a chance?
    Gave him not only a chance, but boatload of money. Guy is not fit for our park, move on an be happy for him and the fact that he didn't take the Reds for any more cash.

Turn Off Ads?