Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red-Cards series 8/24

Red-Cards series 8/24

Reds and Cards hook up at GABP. Latos, Leake, and Bailey against Lynn, Garcia and Wainright. Reds lead season series 5-4, swept Cards last time. One more series after this, final three of the season in Cardsland.

Reds lead Cards by 7 and Pirates by 8 entering the series. Cards coming off home sweep of Astros, now play Reds, Pirates and Nats on the road ten games altogether. Huge road trip for Cards. Reds coming off split at Philadelphia home for these three, then to Arizona and Houston.

Pirates return home from sweep by SD. Pirates play Brewers three games to start homestand. Teams are 3-3 so far against each other. Wandy R, Karstens, and Bedard for the Pirates. Fiers, Marcum, Rogers for the Brewers.

Pirates play Brewers nine times before the end of the season, six in Pitt. Pirates are 37-23 at home, Brewers 19-38 on the road. Brewers 30-27 v. NL Central.

Reds 3rd best team ERA in NL; Cards 5th best; Pirates 7th best; Brewers 13th best.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-24-2012 at 12:30 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Red-Cards series 8/24

If the Reds get swept by the Cardinals, they will leave with a 4 game division lead. That makes me happy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If the Reds get swept by the Cardinals, they will leave with a 4 game division lead. That makes me happy.
    I started this thread. There will be no more talk of a Cards sweep. Go Reds!

I think Reds fans are getting too complacent. Most of us are feeling overconfident and are already convinced the Reds are going to win the division or at the very least make the playoffs. I hope the players are taking this series more seriously than the fans are.

The Reds are playing great and are in the catbird seat, but this thing is a LONG way from wrapped up. The Reds need to stay focused and keep winning all the way through the month of September. This is no time to merely "run out the clock". The Reds still need a lot more wins during the regular season. The Cardinals are not just going to go away quietly. They know this race won't be over until the last day of the season, they learned that last year.

We are getting ready for a series against our key rivals and the fans don't act like they are aware of how important this series is. I know the Cardinals are aware of it. The Reds and their fans need to come to the yard with some energy and passion tomorrow. We need to punch them in the mouth and send them home crying. Let's claim this division with some authority right here and right now.

Im suprised the Cards have the 5th best ERA in the NL. I would have figured they were worse than that because of their pen issues.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Obviously, I hope the Reds sweep or even win the series. But as long as the Reds don't get swept and take 1 game, they will be in good shape after. Cards get the pleasure of going to Pittsburgh for 3 after our series and Washington for 4.

Any chance Votto is back for this series?

I guess if it wasn't a 7 game lead, he might have a chance to be there, but probably not at this point.

I don't mind Chapman, Phillips and Rolen sitting last night as long as they don't sit this weekend. I want to see Frazier, Phillips, Cozart, Rolen, Hanigan, Bruce, Stubbs and Ludwick for every game against the Cards. Only changes I am open to is Heisey for Stubbs and Navarro for Hanigan. Let's sweep the Cards and crush the hopes that this little hot streak might be giving them.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    We are getting ready for a series against our key rivals and the fans don't act like they are aware of how important this series is.
    Based on what?

A thread was started about this exact series.

Posters here have been talking about this series since the last sweep.

Personally I want the sweep because it would 1) push the Cards to 10 games back 2) start off their brutal road trip on the right note.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I think Reds fans are getting too complacent. Most of us are feeling overconfident and are already convinced the Reds are going to win the division or at the very least make the playoffs. I hope the players are taking this series more seriously than the fans are.

The Reds are playing great and are in the catbird seat, but this thing is a LONG way from wrapped up. The Reds need to stay focused and keep winning all the way through the month of September. This is no time to merely "run out the clock". The Reds still need a lot more wins during the regular season. The Cardinals are not just going to go away quietly. They know this race won't be over until the last day of the season, they learned that last year.

We are getting ready for a series against our key rivals and the fans don't act like they are aware of how important this series is. I know the Cardinals are aware of it. The Reds and their fans need to come to the yard with some energy and passion tomorrow. We need to punch them in the mouth and send them home crying. Let's claim this division with some authority right here and right now.
    My thoughts exactly. Reds fans are already making playoff plans much in the same manner Rangers fans were planning on when to go see the 2011 WS trophy. I think we all know how that went.

The Reds are in great shape but it is far from over. One game at a time.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Win two of three and all's good. Lose two of three and all's still good.

Reds just need to avoid a sweep by the Cards. If the Cards do sweep then they will feel like they are back in the central division race, which they would be. That would make 6 wins in a row for them too. Things would start getting really tight then. After what the Cards did last year to make the playoffs they would have all the confidence in the world they could do it again. If the Reds just win one game they still would have a six game lead. Stll a nice lead but far from over. Win two or three and I think the Cards would be just about done with the division and have only the WC to look to. We will probably be looking at the Pirates as the 2nd place team once again. It would really take some freakish things to happen at that point for the Reds to lose the division.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Im suprised the Cards have the 5th best ERA in the NL. I would have figured they were worse than that because of their pen issues.
    After the overnight, latest stats have Cards and Giants tied for 5th-6th in ERA.

Reds third at 3.44, Braves fourth at 3.63, Cards and Giants at 3.64.

Keep in mind that Cards, while having poor bullpen numbers, are second in the NL in starting pitchers' ERA at 3.45. Reds are fifth at 3.71.

For the record, I don't at all believe in dreams predicting anything.

But I just woke up and I had a nightmare. It was the playoffs and the Reds were playing the Cardinals. The Reds pitchers couldn't get anybody out, and when anything was put in play the Reds fielders screwed it up. The Reds quickly went down 0-2 in the series. No joke, one of the saddest dreams I've ever had.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    For the record, I don't at all believe in dreams predicting anything.

But I just woke up and I had a nightmare. It was the playoffs and the Reds were playing the Cardinals. The Reds pitchers couldn't get anybody out, and when anything was put in play the Reds fielders screwed it up. The Reds quickly went down 0-2 in the series. No joke, one of the saddest dreams I've ever had.
    As long as it was a dream about the playoffs, I'll live with it. Right now we have a weekend regular season series to win.

One more point on this upcoming Central series. Brewers have won 5 of their last 7 games. So maybe the Pirates are running into a hot team. But of course those were home games for the Brew Crew. They are a different team on the road.

Turn Off Ads?