Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Reds one of four teams pursuing Khalil Greene

Re: Reds one of four teams pursuing Khalil Greene

I just have to ask ? Why do people see Khalil Greene as a 1 year solution ? Does the possibility not exist that upon acquiring he may come to the conclusion that our Reds is the team he could truly be happy with ? Throw a 4 yr 32 million contract and him and I think he would sign , viewing the climate of how this team is truly grooming for long term success.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    I just have to ask ? Why do people see Khalil Greene as a 1 year solution ? Does the possibility not exist that upon acquiring he may come to the conclusion that our Reds is the team he could truly be happy with ? Throw a 4 yr 32 million contract and him and I think he would sign , viewing the climate of how this team is truly grooming for long term success.

The money the Reds will be playing Alex Gonzalez for the 2009 season will make him the starting shortstop (assuming his knee is healthy) while Keppinger assumes the caddie position. After 2009, the Reds will look at the youngsters in their system.

If the Reds can produce at least one major leaguer from the farm system each year, the system is in great shape.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    The money the Reds will be playing Alex Gonzalez for the 2009 season will make him the starting shortstop (assuming his knee is healthy) while Keppinger assumes the caddie position. After 2009, the Reds will look at the youngsters in their system.

If the Reds can produce at least one major leaguer from the farm system each year, the system is in great shape.

I agree Krusty but Gonzo is movable and can actually net a decent return if Red's assume 1/2 his contract. Hell the Red's have spent far more cash on wasted garbage for doing so.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

I agree Krusty but Gonzo is movable and can actually net a decent return if Red's assume 1/2 his contract. Hell the Red's have spent far more cash on wasted garbage for doing so.
    I think Bob C. might be getting sick now of eating contracts.

The Reds need to go back to the old days of developing their own shortstops through the farm system. The question is if Janish, Frazier or others in the system will be next Concepcion, Larkin or Stillwell?

The Reds need to go back to the old days of developing their own shortstops through the farm system. The question is if Janish, Frazier or others in the system will be next Concepcion, Larkin or Stillwell?

Krusty the Red's need to be a serious contender at wild card this year or the level of apathy is going to get to Pirates level this coming season.

Krusty the Red's need to be a serious contender at wild card this year or the level of apathy is going to get to Pirates level this coming season.
    If that is the case, then you have to talk about acquiring Holliday and Atkins. And if that means paying Holliday between 20 to 25 million a season, so be it. Look, if you can acquire these two players and keep Cueto, Volquez, is that a bad thing? And if ownership has no problem ponying up the money to sign Holliday to an extension, why should the fans?

Gonzo ever playing again is no sure thing. It sounds awful, but the best outcome for the Reds is for him to be out completely and to collect insurance on his deal. If he comes back, I'm very skeptical that his leg holds up to playing every day. Even when he was "healthy" he wasn't an iron man in there. 130 Games in 2005, 111 games in 2006 and 110 games in 2007. I'm guessing his surprising offense in 2007 was in part due to his limited use that kept his legs fresh.

Keppinger is awful on defense and offense and should have to fight for a roster spot. Janish won't OPS even .600 on the major league level and is a reincarnation of Gary Green - a good AAA insurance policy who can come up and play the spot on defense for a few days until somebody better can be acquired or returns from the DL. Valaika can't handle the position defensively and isn't ready yet anyway. Neither can Adam Rosales (who is probably the best option on the current roster). Frazier is a LF in the making - cross your fingers and hope he can play 3B to bump his value. The Reds have no one in the system who is major league SS capable and the only prospect who may be someday is Zach Cozart who is a 2011 rookie at the very earliest and he has a lot of hurdles to clear to ever make it at all. I'd love to have some one from within, but this team has nobody to play SS starting in 2009. They had no one in 2008 to be honest.

This team needs to bring in somebody that can play the position or kiss those valued arms of Cueto and Volquez goodbye. They'll be walking off the mound one day holding their shoulders in pain from all the 25+ pitch innings forced upon them by this team's pee wee league defense. A SS is needed right now. Its been a need for nearly a decade.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Gonzo ever playing again is no sure thing. It sounds awful, but the best outcome for the Reds is for him to be out completely and to collect insurance on his deal. If he comes back, I'm very skeptical that his leg holds up to playing every day. Even when he was "healthy" he wasn't an iron man in there. 130 Games in 2005, 111 games in 2006 and 110 games in 2007. I'm guessing his surprising offense in 2007 was in part due to his limited use that kept his legs fresh.

Keppinger is awful on defense and offense and should have to fight for a roster spot. Janish won't OPS even .600 on the major league level and is a reincarnation of Gary Green - a good AAA insurance policy who can come up and play the spot on defense for a few days until somebody better can be acquired or returns from the DL. Valaika can't handle the position defensively and isn't ready yet anyway. Neither can Adam Rosales (who is probably the best option on the current roster). Frazier is a LF in the making - cross your fingers and hope he can play 3B to bump his value. The Reds have no one in the system who is major league SS capable and the only prospect who may be someday is Zach Cozart who is a 2011 rookie at the very earliest and he has a lot of hurdles to clear to ever make it at all. I'd love to have some one from within, but this team has nobody to play SS starting in 2009. They had no one in 2008 to be honest.

This team needs to bring in somebody that can play the position or kiss those valued arms of Cueto and Volquez goodbye. They'll be walking off the mound one day holding their shoulders in pain from all the 25+ pitch innings forced upon them by this team's pee wee league defense. A SS is needed right now. Its been a need for nearly a decade.
    Last we heard, Gonzalez was progressing nicely from surgery and should be ready for spring training. And even if he only plays 130 games, the Reds can use Keppinger as a caddy. Before Keppinger hurt his knee, he was batting over .300 and getting key hits. But I think he rushed back from his knee injury and was never fully healthy for the remainder of the season.

The question is if Janish, Frazier or others in the system will be next Concepcion, Larkin or Stillwell?
    Is that really the question?
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Personally, I'm of the same mind set as mth in that I'm not counting on Gonzo unless and until he can show me that he can play nine innings everyday---which I'm skeptical of.

And, while I don't follow the minors as much as I once did, I don't see anyone currently in the system as being in the same league with a Conception or Larkin. Some can hit but can't carry the glove; for others the glove is big but the bat is the size of a pencil.

Greene is what, 29? If you aren't going to move Phillips to SS and you can land Khalil cheaply enough he can buy you a year----maybe you work things out with him on a 3-4 year deal after that if you like what you see. (famous shrug)

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    And, while I don't follow the minors as much as I once did, I don't see anyone currently in the system as being in the same league with a Conception or Larkin. Some can hit but can't carry the glove; for others the glove is big but the bat is the size of a pencil.
    You mean the Reds don't have a boarder line HOF and a future HOF in their minor league system at SS? The problem with SS and the Reds is we have been spoiled for years with Conception and Larkin manning the position for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    You mean the Reds don't have a boarder line HOF and a future HOF in their minor league system at SS?
    It would be enough to have someone who can play the position adequately without being an automatic out offensively. Whether from their own system or not. Doesn't seem like too much to ask, but the Reds aren't exactly alone in that boat. Really, it's the same with C, and maybe CF to a lesser extent. Is any team really happy or settled at all 3?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i believe this rumor was false. San Diego wants to shed salary. they don't want Crisp (or Gonzo).

That is a good point. However, I think Crisp has value and could probably be traded for prospects easier than Greene. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm overrating Crisp, but I think that's a pretty good return for Greene.

I like the idea the other poster had of offering up Keppinger and a few B prospects. That gives SD a cheap stopgap at SS, and sheds the salary.
    It also lets the Reds audition Greene without a lot of cost. I don't know if SD would bite on that or not.

The more I think about it though, the more I want Greene. I think the guy might really thrive with a change of scenery and in the GAB. If Keppinger is traded, perhaps the Reds can accept AGon as an expensive utility guy for one year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Greene would hit 25 bombs in GAB easily. Couple that with an above average glove at SS and a contract that expires after next season and you have a pretty attractive option.

I'd still prefer to see Furcal or Hudson signed (with Phillips moving to SS in the latter scenario) but this would be a good contingency plan.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Crisp rumor was actually just a mistake. The writer never meant to imply that Crisp had been offered FOR Greene, just the way he worded it led to that misinterpretation by others. He was just trying to say two seperate things, that Greene was available, and that Crisp was being shopped.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?