Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: The yard & garden line is OPEN

Re: The yard & garden line is OPEN

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    Whatduya know about tomatoes Sundeck? Last year the few we got cracked and split. I thought my watering once a day was too much at one time, so I've been watering lightly twice a day this year, but now my bottom leaves are dying... We container garden. I've got Big Boys, Mr Stripeys and Cherry tomatoes in 5 gallon containers with an all purpose potting soil, and fertilize every 10 day or so with a liquid (Miracle Grow) vegetable fertilizer

I swear I have a black thumb....
    I'm not an expert on veggies, but here is what I know about tomatoes:

Regular watering is key. Sounds like you're being consistent, so that's good.
    They like soil to be kept cool, loose and moist. Good container soil is often good for staying loose, but containers are hard to keep moist and cool. You may consider placing the containers into larger one (i.e.- place a plastic one into a larger clay one, or larger ones, depending on how hot and exposed to the sun they are.

Tomato plants turn yellow for a variety of reasons:
    1) Not getting enough sun- happens as the plant matures. Not a big deal.
    2) Not getting enough nitrogen- usually affects newish growth. If you have a plant with a lot of turgid, healthy and deep green growth, this is probably not your problem.
    3) Pests- examine closely for signs of pests (i.e. holes in the leaves).
    4) Water- addressed above. I've found that most of the problems with my tomatoes occur when I don't get enough water on them. Generally, this will show up by causing the plant to be spindly, lighter green...can often be confused with nitrogen problems.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bump.

Need a little landscaping help here. I am landscaping the front of my house and need to accentuate a blue spruce bush I have. I would like to use boxwoods on either side if the spruce but my dog likes to pee on and kill all the other boxwoods I have throughout the yard. I swear they have a target on them for him to pee on. I would like to accentuate them with boxwoods, and it may work because they are tucked back a little from where he likes to run and pee, but don't know if there is another plant that would work better.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Bump.

Need a little landscaping help here. I am landscaping the front of my house and need to accentuate a blue spruce bush I have. I would like to use boxwoods on either side if the spruce but my dog likes to pee on and kill all the other boxwoods I have throughout the yard. I swear they have a target on them for him to pee on. I would like to accentuate them with boxwoods, and it may work because they are tucked back a little from where he likes to run and pee, but don't know if there is another plant that would work better.
    I assume this is full sun, given that you have a blue spruce there?

But here's the deal, your dog is probably peeing on them because he likes the spot and it's a habit for him at this point. Changing plants won't change his behavior. You could try something like Barberry, which because it is thorny, may be a deterrent, but I don't like the look of them in Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I assume this is full sun, given that you have a blue spruce there?

But here's the deal, your dog is probably peeing on them because he likes the spot and it's a habit for him at this point. Changing plants won't change his behavior. You could try something like Barberry, which because it is thorny, may be a deterrent, but I don't like the look of them in Winter.
    Yes the front of my house gets full sun.

I do have some barberrys in my front landscaping as well. For the most part he has left them alone and he does seem to target a particular area. I just didn't know if had a particular smell to them that attracted my dog.

Also I have a big unruly bush on the one side of my garage. It pretty much stands by itself and I am seriously debate removing it. Do you have any specimen recommendations for that area. I don't really want it to be more than 6 feet high because there is a light that my bush currently obstructs.

Yes the front of my house gets full sun.

I do have some barberrys in my front landscaping as well. For the most part he has left them alone and he does seem to target a particular area. I just didn't know if had a particular smell to them that attracted my dog.

Also I have a big unruly bush on the one side of my garage. It pretty much stands by itself and I am seriously debate removing it. Do you have any specimen recommendations for that area. I don't really want it to be more than 6 feet high because there is a light that my bush currently obstructs.
    Full sun as well? It's a rather short spot for a specimen plant.

Evergreen: Arbrovitae or one of several types of Cypress shrubs. I really like the choices in these two genus. Also look at viburnum. There are many, for all sorts of exposures with many flower, leaf and berry types. And hollies- there are many that tolerate full sun. Little leaf Japanese Holly might work.

Deciduous: Sand cherry is a nice choice. Spring flowers, it may get a little larger than six feet, as do many plants, including those listed above. Unfortunately, "specimen" plants often have larger habits than a location can accommodate. Amelanchier is a favorite of mine as well. Some nurseries are selling single trunk, but look for shrub type. Nice white spring flowers, red edible berries. Kousa dogwood may also fit, but again, if six feet is your upper limit, maybe not. If the spot doesn't have a lot of winter exposure, consider Japanese Maple (expensive) or Crape Myrtle (dies back in northern winters, so it won't grow large).

Grasses: A great option for a spot like this, with winter interest. Visit a nursery to see many varieties. I don't generally like Miscanthus, which is very aggressive. You'll see plenty, but there are other choices.

Maybe your dog likes the way boxwoods smell.

They can be pretty stinky. My wife refuses to let me plant any because of that.

and our Kousa dogwood is about 12-15 ft. tall now.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

and our Kousa dogwood is about 12-15 ft. tall now.
    Exactly! That's what happens in landscaping- there are very few six foot varieties of anything. Probably the best solution for Bucksfan's specimen plant is to stay with a conifer. Many 70 foot plants are kept at six feet and below via the twice annual pruning. My favorite examples of this are yews, which when left to grow can be quite large...which is also where the English got their long bows.

Exactly! That's what happens in landscaping- there are very few six foot varieties of anything. Probably the best solution for Bucksfan's specimen plant is to stay with a conifer. Many 70 foot plants are kept at six feet and below via the twice annual pruning. My favorite examples of this are yews, which when left to grow can be quite large...which is also where the English got their long bows.
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I am kinda sucker for trees. I think they look much nicer than plants, especially your smaller types. We just recently planted a snowfall pear (I believe its called that) in the front of our yard.

The problem with my landscaping it thats its been a work in progress ever since we moved in 4 years ago. One year we put in some barburry's and a blue spruce (my dog did a number on). The next year we put in some tulips and a couple of knockout rose bushes, then after than my wife decided to plant some annuals (I refuse to plant annuals) to spice up the yard. The issue is that there is very little continuity and we never seem to have dedicated time to work on the yard. Its coming together but not fast enough for my wife.

Is it a good time to plant right now? I realize it isn't exactly fall but we do a good job of keeping everything watered.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am kinda sucker for trees. I think they look much nicer than plants, especially your smaller types. We just recently planted a snowfall pear (I believe its called that) in the front of our yard.

The problem with my landscaping it thats its been a work in progress ever since we moved in 4 years ago. One year we put in some barburry's and a blue spruce (my dog did a number on). The next year we put in some tulips and a couple of knockout rose bushes, then after than my wife decided to plant some annuals (I refuse to plant annuals) to spice up the yard. The issue is that there is very little continuity and we never seem to have dedicated time to work on the yard. Its coming together but not fast enough for my wife.

Is it a good time to plant right now? I realize it isn't exactly fall but we do a good job of keeping everything watered.
    Not a bad time to plant at all. I mentioned grasses earlier, I created a 100 foot border of grasses in our back yard and it's really working out well. They are tough, drought/deer resistant and they add a lot to a landscape. We did groupings of different grasses interspersed with groupings of perennials - rudbekia, cone flowers, coreopsis, aster, and lots of butterfly bushes. The look is very different from the traditional landscape look, but definitely worth considering.

So my lawn is pretty much dead except for the multitude of weeds growing in it. Can I go ahead and kill the weeds or should I wait until the lawn greens up again? Should I try to deal with the weeds at all this year or wait until next spring?

Are my poplar trees that have lost nearly all their leaves as of 3 weeks ago completely cooked? Will it help to leave a hose under them?

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRat13 View Post
    So my lawn is pretty much dead except for the multitude of weeds growing in it. Can I go ahead and kill the weeds or should I wait until the lawn greens up again? Should I try to deal with the weeds at all this year or wait until next spring?
    Now is the time to be doing some lawn repair. Weeds are not germinating, and the grass you have is probably dormant. You could consider a few options; aerate and overseed, slitseed or a complete renovation (killing off everything and starting over). Can't recommend the last one without seeing the yard, but generally I'd say people often go with dynamite when all that's required is a little party popper. At any rate, late Summer is the best time to address issues because seed needs hot weather to germinate quickly and cooler temps when they are just starting to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Are my poplar trees that have lost nearly all their leaves as of 3 weeks ago completely cooked? Will it help to leave a hose under them?
    They have probably gone dormant, but that doesn't mean watering won't help. Water thoroughly all the way around the drip line. Also, you won't know how much damage they've suffered until a year or two out, as it usually takes a couple years for deciduous trees to die from stress. If you value these trees, I'd highly recommend a wide, mulched area for the root zone. And call an arborist if you are really worried.

They have probably gone dormant, but that doesn't mean watering won't help. Water thoroughly all the way around the drip line. Also, you won't know how much damage they've suffered until a year or two out, as it usually takes a couple years for deciduous trees to die from stress. If you value these trees, I'd highly recommend a wide, mulched area for the root zone. And call an arborist if you are really worried.
    9-1-1, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    9-1-1, right?
    Not sure what you mean, but if by 911 you are saying it's dire, that's not something I can help you with, absent pictures and a site evaluation. Regionally, Tulip Poplars have had a very bad year, both from an insect infestation and the drought. Least you can do is (or should have been doing) is keeping the root zone well watered. Trees need water- they are tough and can handle a drought year, but you should plan for keeping them watered well from now through next season.

Turn Off Ads?