Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Re: Reds Sign Corey Patterson, Jerry Hairston

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Getting ready: New signee and outfielder Corey Patterson remained at Reds camp in Sarasota, Fla., and was slated to face pitchers in a live batting-practice session. Baker doesn't expect to use Patterson in a game until early next week.

It will take some time for Patterson to get in to shape and be ready to play exhibition games.

I have now pulled out of the bet. Let's now get to talking about Corey Patterson like we should have from the beginning.
    Ok, how's this?

He's awful, and Dusty Baker is quickly becoming the managerial equivalent of Jim Bowden, slowly constructing his current team out of cast-offs and rejects from his former one. If he gets Ryan Dumpster back on the Reds, I'm off the wagon.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I am perfectly willing to accept all the terms except the last. I will not agree to accept any signature you choose, as I have never had a signature and probably never will. If that is enough to disqualify the bet, so be it. I will go forward with the rest of the terms as agreed. I gave you the choice of either the 1 year without typing in capital letters OR 1 year typing PEACE at the end of every post. There was nothing saying it had to be both.
    Sounds good. I agree. You can actually put anything for your terms, because I think there's about a .01% chance that I lose.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Sounds good. I agree. You can actually put anything for your terms, because I think there's about a .01% chance that I lose.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I have already pulled out of the bet, BLEEDS, and I sent you a PM saying that. Didn't you receive it?

I have already pulled out of the bet, BLEEDS, and I sent you a PM saying that. Didn't you receive it?

Why did you pull out?!? Terms too steep? Or just admitting that Corey Patterson will be our CF-er.

Either way, that's fine. I wouldn't expect you to agree to back your statements up, heheh!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Bad news if Dusty plans to platoon Patterson.

Last year he OPS'd .795 against left handed pitchers

And around .650 against right handers!

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by UPRedsFan View Post
    Bad news if Dusty plans to platoon Patterson.

Last year he OPS'd .795 against left handed pitchers

And around .650 against right handers!
    That was, what, 150 ABs against lefties? I agree it's kinda weird though.

For his career, he has a .658 OPS against lefties, .731 against righties.

More importantly:

Batting leadoff (661 ABs): .256/.299/.421 (.719 OPS)
    Batting second (718 ABs): .255/.299/.376 (.675 OPS)
    Batting sixth (493 ABs): .272/.298/.428 (.726 OPS)
    Batting seventh (487 ABs): .281/.330/.485 (.815 OPS)

None of these are huge sample sizes but they do seem to back up what common sense will tell you: If you're going to play him, bat him seventh and leave him there, which is what a lot of Cubs fans (myself included) were screaming at Baker to do in 2005. My fear is that Dusty wants to "prove" he was right to bat Corey leadoff and do it here, too. It's no skin off his nose if the guy gets run out of town on a rail again, he still has Freel and Hopper.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    Why did you pull out?!? Terms too steep? Or just admitting that Corey Patterson will be our CF-er.

Either way, that's fine. I wouldn't expect you to agree to back your statements up, heheh!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    Terms too steep. I still think Patterson has no chance to be the starting CFer, however.

Terms too steep. I still think Patterson has no chance to be the starting CFer, however.
    If he has "no chance" than the terms shouldn't matter huh?!?!

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post

None of these are huge sample sizes but they do seem to back up what common sense will tell you: If you're going to play him, bat him seventh and leave him there, which is what a lot of Cubs fans (myself included) were screaming at Baker to do in 2005. .
    That's pretty surprising that he has done so well hitting seventh, but I'd still chalk it up to chance and a small sample size. I can't think of any real reason he would be so much better hitting 7th than anywhere else. You could say it's because he presses less hitting at the bottom of the order, but that doesn't quite work because he still struggles hitting sixth.

I agree with you that if he plays, he needs to hit seventh or eighth. I'd just rather him not play in the first place.

Monger

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Redlocks View Post
    That was, what, 150 ABs against lefties? I agree it's kinda weird though.

For his career, he has a .658 OPS against lefties, .731 against righties.

More importantly:

None of these are huge sample sizes but they do seem to back up what common sense will tell you: If you're going to play him, bat him seventh and leave him there, which is what a lot of Cubs fans (myself included) were screaming at Baker to do in 2005. My fear is that Dusty wants to "prove" he was right to bat Corey leadoff and do it here, too. It's no skin off his nose if the guy gets run out of town on a rail again, he still has Freel and Hopper.

.299 OBP batting leadoff

.299 OBP batting leadoff

can someone please explain how that is ok under any circumstances? really, i want to know.
    Reds fan in Red Sox Country

Sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds

Recovering Cubs Fan

Quote Originally Posted by SMcGavin View Post
    That's pretty surprising that he has done so well hitting seventh, but I'd still chalk it up to chance and a small sample size. I can't think of any real reason he would be so much better hitting 7th than anywhere else. You could say it's because he presses less hitting at the bottom of the order, but that doesn't quite work because he still struggles hitting sixth.

I agree with you that if he plays, he needs to hit seventh or eighth. I'd just rather him not play in the first place.
    I wanna say he batted 7th most of the time in 2004 prior to August 1st, when Nomar Garciaparra joined the team and Dusty reconfigured the lineup for him, deciding to put Patterson at leadoff for the first time. He hit like crazy for about 3 weeks then tanked completely for the rest of the year. But before that he was a pretty solid #7, IIRC. So it could be he just happened to be hitting seventh before his manager handed him an identity crisis that shot his confidence, and he's only recently begun to recover from it. This team could use his glove in CF considering who's in the corners. I just don't Trusty In Dusty to bat him where he belongs, so I suppose I agree with you as well.

I do know he's hit pretty well in the 3 spot too, but that was mostly 2003 before he blew out his knee. Overall, it looks like the pitchers just adjusted to him and he still hasn't learned to adjust back. Man, he must've been desperate to put himself in Baker's evil clutches again.
    FIRE DUSTY Never mind. The man is clearly a genius.

Turn Off Ads?