Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roster Decisions with New Players

Roster Decisions with New Players

Outfield - I'll assume that Stubbs, Bruce, and Dickerson will be on the major league team. I think that's correct. That leaves two outfield spots. I believe Gomes is a near lock, if signed, after last year's performance.

That leaves one spot from among Nix, Balentien, Taveras, and the minor leaguers like Heisey and Francisco.

I would lean toward Nix. Reds will need one solid lefty bench player and pinch hitter. The others are righty except Francisco, who now seems destined to begin at AAA.

Balentien's chances seem reduced if the Gomes signing happens. Just don't see Reds keeping both of them, righty outfielders, for bench/platoon spots. Reds need one good lefty bench candidate and Nix seems like the guy.

If you project Gomes as an everyday player, with Dickerson on the bench, then maybe Balentien gets the last spot. But that arrangement also is short on lefty bats for team overall.

Infield - with Cabrera in the fold, Janish on the bench, it leaves room for one more player. Cairo, Rosales, or Sutton. Since Sutton is a switch hitter and can also fill in at outfield, I like his chances. Scrappy player.

I'm assuming the normal 12 pitchers, 13 position player set up, which almost always happens with the Reds. Occasionally last year they used 13 pitchers, but only for short stints.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-31-2010 at 01:54 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Roster Decisions with New Players

If they cut Balentien, I will be rather upset. He has above average defense and he highest upside at the plate of anyone in question for getting cut. Just cut Taveras and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If they cut Balentien, I will be rather upset. He has above average defense and he highest upside at the plate of anyone in question for getting cut. Just cut Taveras and get it over with.
    They can't keep everybody at the major league level. Even if WT gone, Balentien's spot unclear.

Stubbs, Dickerson, Bruce, Gomes highly likely to stay in major leagues.

Team is short on lefty bats, Nix seems to make the most sense for the last spot.

I'm sure Reds would try to slip Balentien to AAA in a late cut rather than lose him.

Other option is to send Nix down and just go with very few lefty bats. Only Bruce, Votto, Dickerson are lefty. Sutton if they keep him. Balentien stays in this scenario. Team would be very right handed.

With Owings around, also righty, even more likely they keep a lefty bat on the bench IMO. Nix hit righties well last year.
    Last edited by Kc61; 01-31-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Most likely, this will work its way out due to injuries, trades or players not performing in ST. If you have to lose someone like Balantien because you have too many good players, that's a good problem to have. I will bet even money that come opening day, the Reds will wish they had even more depth than they do right now.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

This will extend all the way to AAA and some guys signed as minor league FA may wind-up in AA to fill holes.

Say the Major league IF includes Sutton and Janish as back-ups and the OF has Bruce, Stubbs, Gomes, Dickerson and Nix

That would make the AA IF Alonso at 1B, Valaika at 2B, Cozart at SS, Frazier/Francisco at 3B with Rosales, Eymann, Burke and Cairo all there.

The OF would probably be Wlad/Dorn in RF, Heisey in CF and Frazier/FRancisco in LF. Guys like Luis Terrero, Josh Anderson and Mike Griffin would be looking for time. If the team keeps Willy around, the crowd gets thicker. Maybe Alonso starts in AA while Francisco, Dorn and Frazier all take turns moving around at all four corners at AAA.

Its going to be interesting, but I'm guessing number one on the LF depth chart Heisey ends up as the CF in AAA. Francisco and Frazier play a number of positions at AAA and Dorn probably gets pushed aside again.

Another possibilty is that Stubbs has a bad spring and gets sent down while the team keeps Willy. That would make the crowd really thick in AAA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

We don't know that Gomes will make the club for sure. What if he has a horrible spring?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    We don't know that Gomes will make the club for sure. What if he has a horrible spring?
    I think it's likely he'll go north.

Gomes didn't make the big club last spring. He was unhappy. Turned out to be a mistake, the Reds missed his offense, and he did well when he came up.

I doubt they will send him to AAA out of spring training again, even if he doesn't have a good spring. I also think they likely made Gomes at least a general commitment on this. Hard to believe Gomes is signing with the Reds to be sent down again.

Of course, anything is possible, but if he's signing with the Reds with their lack of offense, the expectation of everyone is likely that he's going north.

Attack Cat!

Balentien has shown a reverse split in both the minors and majors. He could play with Gomes in a (strange) platoon, and I like him better then Nix.

Next44 is right that this stuff will certainly resolve itself before spring training, but as of right now I would take Stubbs, Bruce, Dickerson, Gomes (if signed), Wlad north. Sutton or Frazier would get the last infield spot.

Here is the roster I'd like to see, pending major move.

Stubbs CF
    Phillips 2B
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Bruce RF
    Gomes / Dickerson LF (platoon with dickerson, Phillips bats 6th vs righties, Dickerson 2nd)
    Hernandez C
    Cabrera / Janish SS (platoon, janish playing against lefties)

So that is 10 for my 13 man bench (I'd love to see us carry 14 but doubt we do). I add in Blalock (signed to minor league deal), Hanigan, and either Sutton or Balentin. If I'm good with Cabrera or Janish providing the backup for 2B, I go with Balentin. I love his bat off bench. Actually, personally, I would not sign Gomes with expectation of him sticking. I'd start Balentin in the platoon. I really think he has a shot at being a solid ML OFer providing almost everything Gomes does with better defense.

I am a firm believer in the 11 man pitching staff. I think it is a better balance of pitching needs with a flexible and good bench.

I don't think Stubbs is a lock right now to be on the OD roster. If he has a bad spring, I'm guessing he gets optioned. Wlad is out of options. IF Stubbs falters in ST, I'd bet Dickerson is the OD starter in CF. Since at this point in time, Gomes is not signed, that means a Nix/Wlad platoon in CF.

And an e-mail to Taveras saying see you in Sarasota.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    And an e-mail to Taveras saying see you in Sarasota.
    That's a funny line, assuming you remembered that they aren't in Sarasota anymore.

It's a scary line if you didn't.

I remembered.

geez.....
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

So with today's trade it's Stubbs, Bruce, Dickerson and pick two from Balentien, Gomes, Nix, Heisey, and Francisco in the outfield.

The infield is now the starters and two of Janish, Cairo, Miles, and Sutton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Sutton has to get one of those spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    So with today's trade it's Stubbs, Bruce, Dickerson and pick two from Balentien, Gomes, Nix, Heisey, and Francisco in the outfield.

Best thing about this is that Dickerson can now be counted as the back-up/platoon CF with Stubbs.

I would add Danny Dorn to your list though, KC. If Gomes signs, I think we'll see him and Heisey.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?