Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will get Choo?

Re: Who will get Choo?

I think it will be the Yankees. The've got both the payroll and the need to sign Choo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This thread title should have been "Who will Choo-choo-choose Choo?"
    "Lemonade requires a significant amount of sugar. Otherwise, you've just made lemon juice."

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (11-20-2013),camisadelgolf (11-22-2013),meigsred (11-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Even if the team has more money than we think, that doesn't mean it is good business to continue to accumulate contracts that require high yearly salaries for a lot of a players decline years.
    It definitely isn't ideal, but neither option is good. You're choosing between likely paying for a guy's decline years and likely letting your 2nd best hitter walk for nothing. I totally get the economic case against bringing him back, but if Choo isn't a Red the 2014 offense looks considerably worse than the 2013 offense did. That step backwards is more important to me in the big picture than how handcuffed we are or aren't moving forward financially.

I think the Reds should sacrifice Choo and pick up multiple pieces in an effort to have a balanced offensive attack.

I understand how valuable Choo is.

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I think the Reds should sacrifice Choo and pick up multiple pieces in an effort to have a balanced offensive attack.

I understand how valuable Choo is.
    I agree with this. AFAIC, Hamilton should start in CF, and another bat to split LF with Ludwick would be nice. Take the comp pick and be happy.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    I agree with this. AFAIC, Hamilton should start in CF, and another bat to split LF with Ludwick would be nice. Take the comp pick and be happy.
    Hamilton currently has a .190/.261/.254 line in Puerto Rico. While I expect that to improve, Hamilton probably still needs a little more time in the oven.

And, minus Choo, this lineup needs a lot more than someone to share LF duties with Ludwick.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

9. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-22-2013),RedEye (11-22-2013)

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    And, minus Choo, this lineup needs a lot more than someone to share LF duties with Ludwick.
    Are you suggesting the Reds spend what it takes to re-sign Choo, M2?

And if not, what do you suggest they do to make up for his loss?
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    Are you suggesting the Reds spend what it takes to re-sign Choo, M2?

And if not, what do you suggest they do to make up for his loss?
    I don't know what it's going to take to get Choo. I have a sneaking suspicion a fair number of teams that should want him won't be willing to part with a draft pick. Also it looks like more than a few organizations are filling up on appetizers in the free agent buffet, which means they might be skipping the main course. Dependent on how all that shakes out, Choo might find himself thinking that making lots of money for the Reds and chasing a World Series title isn't such a bad option.

My general take on the Reds right now is they need to add two offensively capable starting OFs. I've got no problem with turning Ludwick into a bench player. I'd also like to see the team find a SS upgrade and turn Cozart into a supersub, though outside of a deal for Profar I'm not sure it can be done.

Main thing is I'd like the Reds to have a strong top 6 in the lineup. Right now Cozart and the catcher own the 7 and 8 slots.

Replace Choo, you ask?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I want Hamilton to hit in AAA before I hand him anything.

I would patch up the outfield using platoons. I'd dump most of the current OF (I'll hang onto Heisey for now) and replace them with guys who possess wide platoon splits and can effectively cover multiple positions out there.

For example, how about this rotation foursome (include Heisey) covering LF and CF:

Gerardo Parra (LH) - career .289/.341/.431 vRH, has a canon arm and can play all OF positions well.

Matt Joyce (LH) - career .260/.354/.481 vRH, might hit even better switching over to the NL and playing in GABP.

Franklin Gutierrez (RH) - career .287/.344/.474 vLH, excellent defender.

None of these guys will be older than 31 and none should be too expensive to acquire...

13. Likes:

BEETTLEBUG (11-22-2013),Edd Roush (11-22-2013)

Hamilton currently has a .190/.261/.254 line in Puerto Rico. While I expect that to improve, Hamilton probably still needs a little more time in the oven.
    Hamilton has more minor league at bats than Bruce, Heisey, Cozazt, Mesoraco and Frazier. Ryan Hanigain was in the reds minor league system roughly fore-ever and Hamilton has more at bats than Ryan. In a quick look the only product of the reds farm system with more minor league at bats than Billy Hamilton is Joey Votto. I guess Neftali Soto and Henry Rodriguez, but then they've kind of fallen off the prospect tract by now haven't they?

That said....I don't think it would stunt Hamilton's growth to stick him in Louisville. I don't think it would be terrible for the team, but if you plan on sending BH down, then you have a very awkward sized hole to fill in center field.

While it may not stunt Hamilton's growth if you send him down, it may not be what's best for the franchise. I don't know that Billy Hamilton becomes a better major league hitter by facing AAAA pitchers and defenses every day. He seems to adjust his game to the play around him. Allow him to adjust to the majors now.

I would roll the dice on the kid and hope that I found my leadoff hitter.

...well....I mean if Choo wants to come back and I can afford him......yeah...but I.just.don't.think.it's.gonna.happen.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

My concern is the one thing that makes Hamilton valuable erodes quicker than any other skill.

He needs to play now or be dealt, IMO.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Hamilton has more minor league at bats than Bruce, Heisey, Cozazt, Mesoraco and Frazier.
    I don't really care about that. Frazier, Cozart and Heisey came from college ball, so you'd expect them to spend less time in the minors. Bruce had a meteoric rise. Can't remember if Mes was a bit dinged up in the minors at times or if they rode him lightly because he was a catcher. Either way, he played in AAA at Hamilton's current age.

Anyway, Hamilton shouldn't stop getting minor league ABs until he can show himself capable of hitting AAA pitching. I'd be willing to promote once he gets his bat working, but in the meantime the Reds should be trying to win a World Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    My concern is the one thing that makes Hamilton valuable erodes quicker than any other skill.

He needs to play now or be dealt, IMO.
    I'd worry about that if he were 29. He just turned 23. Hamilton's legs will be around for the rest of this decade.

17. Likes:

Edd Roush (11-25-2013),mth123 (11-22-2013),RiverRat13 (11-22-2013)

I think the wheeling and dealing by the Reds will continue shortly. December 2 is the tender/non-tender deadline and I think the Reds will likely try to make deals involving arb players sooner rather than later.

While we all like to think the usage of players like Chapman, Hamilton, Ludwick, etc., is decided by some grand design, probably circumstances determine this more than anything.

Like last year I think Chapman relieved mostly because the Reds didn't trade a starter and seemed stronger in the rotation. So Aroldis was deemed more important in the pen.

This year the possible trades for Phillips (and Hanigan and maybe others) and the free agent situation with Choo will likely determine how many of the players are used. Reds will see what the roster looks like after the dealing is done. Bailey's status will likely impact Chapman's role.

Probably Walt Jocketty can't tell you now if Chapman is in the rotation, if Hamilton is in the majors, etc. First he has to see how he can improve the offense and the players acquired and lost will make clear what the needs are.
    Last edited by Kc61; 11-22-2013 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think the wheeling and dealing by the Reds will continue shortly. December 2 is the tender/non-tender deadline and I think the Reds will likely try to make deals involving arb players sooner rather than later.

While we all like to think the usage of players like Chapman, Hamilton, Ludwick, etc., is decided by some grand design, probably circumstances determine this more than anything.

Like last year I think Chapman relieved mostly because the Reds didn't trade a starter and seemed stronger in the rotation. So Aroldis was deemed more important in the pen.

This year the possible trades for Phillips (and Hanigan and maybe others) and the free agent situation with Choo will likely determine how many of the players are used. Reds will see what the roster looks like after the dealing is done.

Probably Walt Jocketty can't tell you now if Chapman is in the rotation, if Hamilton is in the majors, etc. First he has to see how he can improve the offense and the players acquired and lost will make clear what the needs are.
    I'm in agreement here. It will probably depend on what the roster looks like after the smoke clears from the moves that are yet to come.

The Prince Fielder trade shows that the Rangers are getting creative in their offseason quest for bats, T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes. Texas is hesitant to forfeit a first-round draft pick to sign a player such as Jacoby Ellsbury, as the team will already be limited on the international side of the amateur talent market after greatly exceeding their bonus pool this past summer.

Turn Off Ads?