Turn Off Ads?

Thread: IS manager trade with Mets possible?

IS manager trade with Mets possible?

Based on how the New York media is frothing over Willie Randolph's head, I'm wondering if it (in a perfect world) is possible to trade for Heilman AND Randolph. We give them Dusty and Weather or another player back. Randolph would enjoy the tame media in Cincinnati and Dusty could quote -away with his non-sequiturs to the ravenous news hounds in NY.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: IS manager trade with Mets possible?

Interesting concept.

Why the Mets would want The Dusty currently escapes me, though.

Me neither, but maybe 'cause he's a winner?

I don't know about Dusty but I sure would like to ship them a package(Arroyo, Weathers, Affeldt) and get my hands on Heilman and Pelfrey.

I'm guessing here, but I think there's been trades involving player-managers before. I can't ever remember hearing anything about regular managers though.

Maybe activate Dusty on the roster for a day, then ship him out. I would even personally throw in a three year supply of toothpicks myself to help get that deal pushed through.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    I'm guessing here, but I think there's been trades involving player-managers before. I can't ever remember hearing anything about regular managers though.

Maybe activate Dusty on the roster for a day, then ship him out. I would even personally throw in a three year supply of toothpicks myself to help get that deal pushed through.
    Wasn't Lou Piniella traded from the Mariners to the Rays for Randy Winn?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Wasn't Lou Piniella traded from the Mariners to the Rays for Randy Winn?
    Was that a trade or a hey, we took your manager, here's Randy Winn to keep you quiet? I don't remember the details, I'm just asking.
    I'm just like everybody else. I have two arms, two legs and 4,000 hits."

-Pete Rose

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    Was that a trade or a hey, we took your manager, here's Randy Winn to keep you quiet? I don't remember the details, I'm just asking.
    Here's a little piece I found on google:

Before entering the 2003 season, the Devil Rays decided to trade Randy Winn to the Seattle Mariners for the right to negotiate with manager Lou Piniella. Lou Piniella was a very famous Tampa native who has great managerial skills. Lou Piniella became interested and accepted the job.

http://www.barrystickets.com/pro-bas...ys-tickets.php

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Didn't Willie Randolph lie at one time about being offered the Reds job and blasted Cincy in the media about it, only to admit the lie when he was hired as the Mets skipper?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I don't know about Dusty but I sure would like to ship them a package(Arroyo, Weathers, Affeldt) and get my hands on Heilman and Pelfrey.
    Whoa! If so, that's pretty dicey! Willie obviously has some insecurities and has not responded well to criticism, but i would take him over Dusty in a minute... Mr. J and Mr. C, if you are reading, please make it so!

For a Level Playing Field

Aug. 3, 1960: The Indians traded manager Jimmy Dykes straight up to the Tigers for their manager, Joe Gordon, marking the only trade in-season of managers in major league history.

Nov. 5, 1976: The Pirates traded catcher Manny Sanguillen to the A's for their manager, Chuck Tanner.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Dusty for Randolph would be like Morgan, Menke, Billingham, Geronimo, and Armbrister for May, Helms, and Stewart all over again.

One can dare to dream.

Turn Off Ads?