Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

Re: Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

From this morning's Miami Herald in a story about three University of Miami players being taken in the 1st round:

Alonso, who is 6-2 and 215 pounds, is hitting .370 with an Atlantic Coast Conference-leading 21 home runs.

He said he was overcome with emotion when he heard the news with his family at a T.G.I. Friday's across the street from campus in Coral Gables.

''A lot of cheering. I don't even know what happened. I was crying,'' said Alonso, who was drafted by the Twins in the 15th round out of Coral Gables High in 2005.

``I was very, very happy. The Reds are a great organization and they have great players. I can't wait to meet Adam Dunn and [Ken] Griffey [Jr].''

Alonso conceded he was waiting to see if the Marlins would take him No. 6 overall. When they didn't, he moved forward -- and was chosen with the next pick.

''If the Marlins didn't get me, it was game on after that with anybody,'' he said. 'As soon as the magic Marlins passed up on me, I said, `All right, let's see what happens with the next pick.' And there it was.''

Was it a disappointment the Marlins passed him?

''Uhhh. I don't know,'' he said. ``It was interesting, interesting. No comment. Now, obviously, I'm more of a fan for the Reds.''

Alonso was especially low key in UM's dugout after emoting earlier with his family. He said his priority was the UM postseason.

''This is a little more important right now,'' he said. ``I have to take care of these guys and see what happens after that. You play the game to win a championship and get to the major league level. It's amazing. It's a blessing.''
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I have no problem with putting money into development, but eight million dollars is too much for a small market team to spend on a player who may never see a MLB field. That's all I'm saying. I have no problem with spending 2 million on Duran. Duran is a great prospect. What I'm saying is that for a team that doesn't sell out many games, and doesn't have the market of Chicago or New York, we need to spend like it. The Yankees can take risks like this because they have eight million to spend, but I don't want that money being spent on a player that isn't already proven.
    This is classic small-market thinking.

Has Bud Selig condemned the Reds to an eternity of small-market economics? I must have missed that memo.

Think like a small-market club and I'll guarantee you that that's all you'll ever be.

(i.e. loser mentality)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce4HOF View Post
    This is classic small-market thinking.

Has Bud Selig condemned the Reds to an eternity of small-market economics? I must have missed that memo.

Think like a small-market club and I'll guarantee you that that's all you'll ever be.

(i.e. loser mentality)
    I also strongly disagree with that sentiment, but I'm not sure about sinking $8MM into a first baseman who should be somewhat close to the majors when you already have a young first baseman doing quite well in his rookie season.

$8MM would be better suited being spent on a guy who might help strengthen a deficiency in the organization. Drafting Porcello last season would have been a great example.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    He's not really able to play 3rd. 1B is about it for him.
    Really? Did you ask him?

Can someone explain why he would want a major league contract. Why not just try to get the biggest signing bonus you can get. I have no clue about this process and am just looking for an answer.

I am not enamored with this pick but I hope becomes a productive Red. One thing that scares me is he reminds me of a Javy Valentine at the plate. He has a stout build and it looks like he is in a crouch at the plate and has somewhat of an uppercut swing.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I also strongly disagree with that sentiment, but I'm not sure about sinking $8MM into a first baseman who should be somewhat close to the majors when you already have a young first baseman doing quite well in his rookie season.

$8MM would be better suited being spent on a guy who might help strengthen a deficiency in the organization. Drafting Porcello last season would have been a great example.
    This reasoning I can get on board with and at least empathize with.

Perhaps they view this kid as the BPA and excellent trade bait 12 months from now? If he rakes like everyone seems to think he will, he'll be an excellent DH candidate for the AL as well as 1b.

We all know about Jocketty's penchant for turning extra parts into valuable commodities.

Can someone please explain to me all the whining going on in this thread? I've never seen such a group of crybabies.

WAAAAAAA! He wants 8 million!
    WAAAAAA! He plays first base!
    WAAAAAAAA! He allegedly doesn't play good defense!

Ask any Miami fan and they'll tell you Alonso has been the best defensive first basemen they've ever had.

People complain about Dunn making 15M this year. 8M is a lot of money to give to a guy who has never set foot on a major league diamond. While people may project him as a sure thing there is no such thing as a sure thing.

Flexibility. Ideally you want to get your best 8 players on the field at the same time. Pujols came up with the ability to play 1b, 3b, lf, rf which enabled the Cards to bring him up and play him every day with McGwire at 1b.

Got nothing here.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Can someone explain why he would want a major league contract. Why not just try to get the biggest signing bonus you can get. I have no clue about this process and am just looking for an answer.
    It's a way for him to ensure he'll get to the Major Leagues sooner. By signing a Major League deal now he goes on the 40 man roster. He can be optioned down in '08, '09 and 10. After that he would have to pass through waivers to be sent down, and it's unlikely the Reds would take that chance because he would get claimed and the Reds would wind up throwing away their investment. So unless he completely tanks he'll know that he'll be in the Majors for good no later than the start of the 2011 season. Without that Major League deal he could sit in the minors for four, five, six years before getting a callup.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    It's a way for him to ensure he'll get to the Major Leagues sooner. By signing a Major League deal now he goes on the 40 man roster. He can be optioned down in '08, '09 and 10. After that he would have to pass through waivers to be sent down, and it's unlikely the Reds would take that chance because he would get claimed and the Reds would wind up throwing away their investment.
    Yes, but if there is one thing I have learned from the Wily Mo Pena contract is, at the time when Alonso 3 years is up, if he isn't ready, we could always work a deal with his agent that allows us to send him down anyway.

One thing I never did learn. Why didn't we do that very thing with Wily Mo?

Huuummmmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    People complain about Dunn making 15M this year. 8M is a lot of money to give to a guy who has never set foot on a major league diamond. While people may project him as a sure thing there is no such thing as a sure thing.

Flexibility. Ideally you want to get your best 8 players on the field at the same time. Pujols came up with the ability to play 1b, 3b, lf, rf which enabled the Cards to bring him up and play him every day with McGwire at 1b.

Got nothing here.
    Dunn makes 15 million a year. Alonso wants 8 million total. A little bit of difference.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm a big fan of the pick. I like going with a guy who is as a sure a thing as there is. Seems like a good kid to boot and anybody who works out with A-Rod has to have a great work ethic.
    Trust me, as a 'Canes fan I have had the opportunity to see Yonder for the last 3 years. He is as good as advertised, and should be a star. He also is a nice guy, and has a great attitude. His upbringing makes him humble, and very thankful for all he has achieved.

I talked to him several weeks ago at the U's baseball "Team Feed" (a party given by the Diamond Dolls & Diamond Studs, a U of Miami booster club) and he is just as genuine as can be, and excited to be a major league baseball player.

But if you don't sign him, we'll gladly take him back for his senior season with the 'Canes.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Dunn makes 13 M in 2008.

He made 10.5 M in 2007.

Question. Does giving Alonso 8M and having him sign a major league deal cover all of his non-arbitration years and one or more of his arbitration years? I would assume his first three years (by 2010) he would make nearly 1.5M at the major league minimum anyway. Plus, even without a major league deal he would want a signing bonus. I think we paid Stubbs 2M (two years ago) at #8 just for his signing bonus. What would be the slot payout for Alonso at #7 (two years later), 2.5M-3M? So if you paid him a 2.5M signing bonus and he's up with the big club in a couple years and makes 1.5 minimum (for his 3 non-arb years), he'd be at 4M total by the time he's arb eligible. So is what we are talking about here, the difference between 8M and 4-5M (3-4M)?

I would think if he would sign for 5-6 years, you could buy out one of his arb eligible years with the 8M, but I'm not quite sure how that all works out.

I can't quite remember how those deals with Espinosa and Sardinha worked out but I thought they were asking for major league contracts as well, right?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Maybe its me, but I don't see the Jack Cust comparison.... Cust strikes out more than Adam Dunn. Alonso doesn't seem to strike out much at all.

Very patient hitter, he got the "Barry Bonds" treatment towards the end of the year. It will be interesting to see how the Wildcats pitch him this weekend. For Reds fans I would think this will be "must see TV".

Turn Off Ads?