Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

Re: Alonso thrilled to go to Reds at No. 7

Where did the Beckhman SS that we passed on end up being taken? I am just curious.

If the Reds' scouts think that Yonder is going to turn into a Berkman type player, I can't complain. I am thrilled that they took the guy they thought was the best player available. That's always the smart thing to do (vs drafting for needs or signablity).

I also like how they took a college reliever with their second pick. With bullpen arms being at such a premium, I think it's wise to target them in the draft.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Where did the Beckhman SS that we passed on end up being taken? I am just curious.

If the Reds' scouts think that Yonder is going to turn into a Berkman type player, I can't complain. I am thrilled that they took the guy they thought was the best player available. That's always the smart thing to do (vs drafting for needs or signablity).

I also like how they took a college reliever with their second pick. With bullpen arms being at such a premium, I think it's wise to target them in the draft.
    8th to the White Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Can someone please explain to me all the whining going on in this thread? I've never seen such a group of crybabies.

WAAAAAAA! He wants 8 million!
    WAAAAAA! He plays first base!
    WAAAAAAAA! He allegedly doesn't play good defense!

Ask any Miami fan and they'll tell you Alonso has been the best defensive first basemen they've ever had.
    Well not the best, that was Kevin Hart (1983-86), who never played an MLB game. The guy made a total of 5 errors his whole Hurricanes career at 1st base.

But Yonder is no slouch at 1st base. His bat is his best thing, but his glove is not awful by any means, and I think well above average for Div 1 college baseball players.

Another thing, he improved every year, which shows he is coachable, and on the upswing just learning what his talent is all about.

Trust me, you got a winner with this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Dunn makes 13 M in 2008.

He made 10.5 M in 2007.

Question. Does giving Alonso 8M and having him sign a major league deal cover all of his non-arbitration years and one or more of his arbitration years? I would assume his first three years (by 2010) he would make nearly 1.5M at the major league minimum anyway. Plus, even without a major league deal he would want a signing bonus. I think we paid Stubbs 2M (two years ago) at #8 just for his signing bonus. What would be the slot payout for Alonso at #7 (two years later), 2.5M-3M? So if you paid him a 2.5M signing bonus and he's up with the big club in a couple years and makes 1.5 minimum (for his 3 non-arb years), he'd be at 4M total by the time he's arb eligible. So is what we are talking about here, the difference between 8M and 4-5M (3-4M)?

I would think if he would sign for 5-6 years, you could buy out one of his arb eligible years with the 8M, but I'm not quite sure how that all works out.

I can't quite remember how those deals with Espinosa and Sardinha worked out but I thought they were asking for major league contracts as well, right?
    I think its all signing bouns money, paid out over several years. The contract can have a 40 man provision, but I think the CBA doesn't allow you to sign a man to a longterm contract until after at least 1 year service in MLB.

Trust me, you got a winner with this guy.
    I'm pretty certain of that. Thanks for checking in from the homefront.

Thanks for the insight PMZQ. I'll be watching the Reds/Marlins on TV tonight but I'm gonna check back and forth on the Miami/Arizona game and watch Alonso's atbats.

Just curious, for you draft mavens, when is the last time the Reds picked picked a polished college bat in the first round? Stubbs was picked for his defense and athleticism. What about Larson, Mattola? Barry?
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 06-06-2008 at 10:56 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm a big fan of the pick. I like going with a guy who is as a sure a thing as there is. Seems like a good kid to boot and anybody who works out with A-Rod has to have a great work ethic.
    From what I've read, I like it too. Chris Buckley called him a "high on-base percentage guy." It's refreshing to see someone in the organization explicitly recognizing the value in that.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Alex Buchholz may hold the key to this draft as much as anyone. If Alonso hits as expected, and Buchholz - who can rake, btw, becomes a top prospect at SS, the Beckham pass may look really smart. The question is whether Buchholz can return to the form that had him crushing opposing pitching his first two years in college. Obviously, the Reds think he can.
    The Reds drafted two players from U. of Delaware last year, Brandon Menchaca and Mike McGuire, and now Buchholtz this year. Wonder if they have some sort of connection in Blue Hen-land or if it's just a coincidence?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Just curious, for you draft mavens, when is the last time the Reds picked picked a polished college bat in the first round? Stubbs was picked for his defense and athleticism. What about Larson, Mattola? Barry?
    Polished? Larkin. Mottola was a late riser from Central Florida, I think. Larson was also a late riser, too. Neither had what would be considered a solid approach. Alonso's body of work is substantial and remarkably consistent on the BA, OBP and power fronts. He's a very, very safe bet.

Comments from Hurricanes fans on Alonso who've seen him play for a long time:

Very good defensively, smart hitter, great plate presence, who can hit the ball all over the field. He's been clutch this year. I could see him hitting .290 with 30 HR's.

He is as good a defensive first baseman as we have had at UM and we have had several good ones. He could have played 3rd base and catcher too.

He is pretty patient at the plate, and is a right handed pitcher's worst nightmare, but is not great against lefties.

honestly, he is likely to be stucka t first but i am sure he can play third in a pinch at the big league level. now the whole range thing baffles me. its not like the first baseman needs to cover a ton of ground and yonder is good with the glove for the most part. people knocking his defense are more about finding a weakness than actually hating his defense IMO.

In many of the fall practice games and scrimmages he played third base and he was more than adequate. I have heard that he can catch, but I have never seen him do it.

The absurd number of walks he gets is another telling stat. He's very patient which will benefit him greatly in the pros. He's kind of an MLB sure thing in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Polished? Larkin. Mottola was a late riser from Central Florida, I think. Larson was also a late riser, too. Neither had what would be considered a solid approach. Alonso's body of work is substantial and remarkably consistent on the BA, OBP and power fronts. He's a very, very safe bet.
    Larson??? I thought LSU's baseball coach called Larson the best baseball player he had ever coached, including one Joey Bell.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce4HOF View Post
    Has Bud Selig condemned the Reds to an eternity of small-market economics? I must have missed that memo.
    While I like the "best player, regardless of cost" mentality being bantered about, let's not get confused here.

This move will save the Reds a lot of coin if they use it as justification not to pursue a long term contract with Adam Dunn -- which I am almost certain they will (at least internally).

But, naturally I'm sure it's completely coincidental that they drafted a player that can only play 1st base, will be a fast riser through the system, happen to have a young 1st baseman that can also play left field, and have a $10+ million LF in a contract year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Just like Stubbs and Lincecum, I think it's safe to say that Alonso's pro career will be compared with G. Beckham's for some time here on the Redszone.

It might not be fair, but it is what it is.

Hopefully, they made the right decision, unlike 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Just like Stubbs and Lincecum, I think it's safe to say that Alonso's pro career will be compared with G. Beckham's for some time here on the Redszone.

It might not be fair, but it is what it is.

Hopefully, they made the right decision, unlike 2006.
    In fairness, he should be compared to other players who could have been drafted in that spot as well. That would include both Smoak and Crow as well.

Turn Off Ads?