Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Cactus league anyone?

Re: Cactus league anyone?

Cast my vote for Arizona. Lots of Ohio folks out here, great facilities.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I have family who lives close to Festival Park.

There's nothing around there. Nothing. Flat land as far as the eye can see.

A Cape Coral Map is deceiving. Only about 1/3 of the roads are actually used.

But, hey, a week at someone's house for "free" + nearby beaches + cheap Skybus direct flight to Punta Gorda + the Reds = Cheap week of vacation on my end.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

In all this Arizona speculation, I still haven't heard anything that indicated MLB will waive the rule that has always required 2 teams to move at once to keep an even number of teams. (for example in 2009 it will be Dodgers and Indians)
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    In all this Arizona speculation, I still haven't heard anything that indicated MLB will waive the rule that has always required 2 teams to move at once to keep an even number of teams. (for example in 2009 it will be Dodgers and Indians)
    I don't see why they would waive such a rule. It'd be too much of a headache to have an odd number of teams. That's an added hurdle to the Arizona solution. They obviously haven't dealt with that yet and shows just how preliminary the talks are with Az. Put that one in the column that favors one of the FL options.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Just thinking out of the box, but having ST in FL has been fine and dandy for awhile now, but since 2000 we've come North with losing ballclubs, so maybe a change of scenery to AZ will magically transform the Reds into a winning ballclub?

I know I know, completely irrational, but I view staying in FL as the status quo, and the status quo isn't working. Take them to AZ, grow your brand out there, and hopefully return to the Queen City with a better, more productive product.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't see why they would waive such a rule. It'd be too much of a headache to have an odd number of teams. That's an added hurdle to the Arizona solution. They obviously haven't dealt with that yet and shows just how preliminary the talks are with Az. Put that one in the column that favors one of the FL options.
    But with so many "A games" and "B games" being scheduled, would it be that difficult to find another organizations "B team" to have games against.

Perhaps towards the end of spring training, when roster cuts are being made it might be more difficult, but they still should be able to find enough players to have games.

Would the lesser competion (using "b" teams) affect preparation?

They actually try to limit the number of B games. And if you have an odd number of teams that means every single day you have at least one B game somewhere in the league. "Hey, it's opening day for Spring Training, and we're playing a "B" squad!!"

And... we're talking about more than spring training here, we're talking about where our minor league operations are. So if we go to Arizona Rookie League instead of Gulf Coast League, what do we do with an uneven number of teams there? They don't play B games in that league.

And it means (since there is no High A Ball in Arizona, that the Reds would have to either maintain a Florida State League team or a California League team. So much for the consolidated operations they liked so much that they bought the Sarasota FSL franchise.

Arizona has the following going for it:

1. Better facilities
    2. Slightly better weather
    3. More closely located opponents

But Florida has the following

1. Does not require a second team to follow or get waiver from MLB
    2. Driving distance from Fan base
    3. Allows Reds to have consolidated Spring Training and minor league operations to include A ball team

I still think the Arizona option is not real unless they get an even number of teams

Florida > Arizona every day of the week and twice on Sunday. And I live much closer to Arizona.

They actually try to limit the number of B games. And if you have an odd number of teams that means every single day you have at least one B game somewhere in the league. "Hey, it's opening day for Spring Training, and we're playing a "B" squad!!"

And... we're talking about more than spring training here, we're talking about where our minor league operations are. So if we go to Arizona Rookie League instead of Gulf Coast League, what do we do with an uneven number of teams there? They don't play B games in that league.

And it means (since there is no High A Ball in Arizona, that the Reds would have to either maintain a Florida State League team or a California League team. So much for the consolidated operations they liked so much that they bought the Sarasota FSL franchise.

Arizona has the following going for it:

1. Better facilities
    2. Slightly better weather
    3. More closely located opponents

But Florida has the following

1. Does not require a second team to follow or get waiver from MLB
    2. Driving distance from Fan base
    3. Allows Reds to have consolidated Spring Training and minor league operations to include A ball team

I still think the Arizona option is not real unless they get an even number of teams
    Thanks for the explanation

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/301230087

Castellini keeps door open
    BY JOHN FAY | JFAY@ENQUIRER.COM

Reds chief executive officer Bob Castellini said Wednesday he's willing to keep looking for a solution with Sarasota officials that would keep the Reds in Florida for spring training.

If the Reds do leave Sarasota, it will be with sadness, he said.

“If we leave - wherever we go - I would not be upbeat about leaving Sarasota," he said.

That’s why the Reds have continued to work to get a deal that would allow them to stay in Sarasota, despite numerous setbacks.

"This is a big thing for us," Castellini said. "It’s not like we’re trying to leave Sarasota. They’ve got a tough situation between the city and the county and the economy in all of Florida.

“You have 12 teams in Arizona now, soon to be 14 with the Dodgers and Indians. Most of them have been stolen from Florida. The state is cognizant of that, so they spread around some money to fix up some of the facilities. Ours is one of those.”

Sarasota county commissioners are divided on whether to contribute 17.6 million to a $41 million plan to refurbish Ed Smith Stadium, which is in need of repairs.

On Tuesday, the county essentially delayed voting on the proposal for two weeks. The city passed its portion of the proposal unanimously.

The city would contribute $6.8 million. The State of Florida will contribute $7.9 million, and the Reds will contribute $9 million.

“It’s been disappointing,” Castellini said. “But I understand the different crosscurrents.”

The Reds will likely make a decision on their spring training future soon. The team has an opportunity in Goodyear, Ariz., which is building a new facility for the Cleveland Indians, and which is looking to add a second team.

“I really feel like the decision has to be made in the next month," Castellini said.
    /r/reds

As much as it would personally be an advantage for me to have the Reds train in AZ I'm still a traditionalist on this. I'd prefer to see the Reds work something out with Sarasota if it would give them about the same deal that they could get in AZ. If I were Castellini I'd even take less to stay where I am in deference to the fans.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    As much as it would personally be an advantage for me to have the Reds train in AZ I'm still a traditionalist on this. I'd prefer to see the Reds work something out with Sarasota if it would give them about the same deal that they could get in AZ. If I were Castellini I'd even take less to stay where I am in deference to the fans.

Rem

If the Reds play in Zona, the games would start at 3:00pm Cincinnati time and I would be able to catch the majority of them after work every day (at least when they start broadcasting daily). Also, it could help the popularity of the franchise spread out a little. I have friends out west who would love to have them so close. Flying vs. driving doesn't make a difference at all to me. I would never drive to Florida.

All that said, I would still rather have them closer than further away for Spring training. The Reds seem to be doing everything they can to stay.

I have a problem with the "a decision must be made within a month" part. Why? You are a making a decision that will affect the next 30 years. And you can stay in Sarasota for 3 more years. Take the time to make the right decision.

I have a problem with the "a decision must be made within a month" part. Why? You are a making a decision that will affect the next 30 years. And you can stay in Sarasota for 3 more years. Take the time to make the right decision.

That may be a message for the folks down in Sarasota to get this settled instead of screwing around all spring to make a decision. Ideally you want this settled sooner rather than later. Plus AZ is probably putting some pressure on the Reds to make a decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I'm thinking he may be anticipating a legal challenge to the majority-tinkering gambit. A court fight over an issue like that could drag on for months and it would be unseemly for the Reds to take sides. By circling a date on the calendar, Castellini enables the Reds to move on rather than wait for the tangential squabble over procedure to be resolved.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?