Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My own odd thoughts on Homer Bailey

Re: My own odd thoughts on Homer Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Exactly my question--that presupposes adjustments made at AAA would transfer to MLB success.

I'd pay 5-7 million for Bonderman's 2004--it was a better season than what Harang's putting up currently, in a much tougher offensive division.

Bonderman's career arc has been about all you can ask for. Plus he looks like Powder combined with Michael Chiklis--which is rad.
    Bailey's career arc has been one of emphatic developmental dominance. And it has been fun to watch. Too bad you are analyzing it from your computer, instead of watching him pitch. If you saw him pitch and Jay Bruce hit, you would see young talent the Reds have not had since Adam Dunn. I'm really sorry for you, you're missing something unique and special in not appreciating these two special talents.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Bailey's career arc has been one of emphatic developmental dominance. And it has been fun to watch. Too bad you are analyzing it from your computer, instead of watching him pitch. If you saw him pitch and Jay Bruce hit, you would see young talent the Reds have not had since Adam Dunn. I'm really sorry for you, you're missing something unique and special in not appreciating these two special talents.
    See, this is what's wrong with this board--one questioning take on a minor league arm and it's all out the window.

I don't know how many times I've stated my admiration for Bruce as a player and a prospect. To me, he's far more valuable to the future of the franchise than Bailey. He's bar none the Reds' best prospect.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

See, this is what's wrong with this board--one questioning take on a minor league arm and it's all out the window.

I don't know how many times I've stated my admiration for Bruce as a player and a prospect. To me, he's far more valuable to the future of the franchise than Bailey. He's bar none the Reds' best prospect.

Bruce is very important....but without pitching, it won't matter how good he is...they won't win

double post

I was too quick to criticise you about Bruce; I was mistaken.
    Just as you were very critical of Bonderman. Last year when he pitched against the Reds, I remember debating his merits with you - you though he was a mediocrity. It looks like you changed your mind since then. Perhaps that will happen with Bailey, as well.

It never ends here, does it?

Bailey is much more valuable than Bruce for the Reds future. Bruce, while a good prospect, is overvalued on these boards. He isn't a sure thing "superstar" like so many believe. Matter of fact, he more than likely becomes a 'good player' but not a superstar.

If Bailey turns into a "ace" pitcher, great, but if he "just" turns into typical number 2, that is much better than Bruce turning into a good player.

Starting pitching is the lifeblood of a franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Bailey is much more valuable than Bruce for the Reds future. Bruce, while a good prospect, is overvalued on these boards. He isn't a sure thing "superstar" like so many believe. Matter of fact, he more than likely becomes a 'good player' but not a superstar.

If Bailey turns into a "ace" pitcher, great, but if he "just" turns into typical number 2, that is much better than Bruce turning into a good player.

I agree here. Bruce seems to be looked upon as a sure thing to go .320/.400./.600 here. Which I think he can, but he's not a lock.

As much as you hate it, yes, Jay Bruce is a future superstar.

Jay Bruce is the best hitting prospect in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

Uh, I guess you have not seen what Justin Upton has done in the UPPER minors eh?

Bruce MAY be a superstar, but everybody thought Kearns and Dunn would be superstars by this time as well. Lets keep a little perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post

I hope he is as good as I think he will be.

And I think right now I'd take Upton as the best, but thats like saying Beltran is better than Wells.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Uh, I guess you have not seen what Justin Upton has done in the UPPER minors eh?

Bruce MAY be a superstar, but everybody thought Kearns and Dunn would be superstars by this time as well. Lets keep a little perspective.
    And relative to age and level, Jay Bruce is so far ahead of both of them its not even funny.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    And relative to age and level, Jay Bruce is so far ahead of both of them its not even funny.
    Yeah, but Dunn's development was delayed abit with football. Kearns simply(at least IMO) didn't have the ceiling we thought he had. Once the major league pitchers figured him out, he declined(Ray King or no Ray King).

Maybe Bruce destroys the upper minors next year like Upton is this year, but that still doesn't make a sure superstar. It isn't "how far along" are you, but "how good are you going to be". His major league time will make that call.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yeah, but Dunn's development was delayed abit with football. Kearns simply(at least IMO) didn't have the ceiling we thought he had. Once the major league pitchers figured him out, he declined(Ray King or no Ray King).

Maybe Bruce destroys the upper minors next year like Upton is this year, but that still doesn't make a sure superstar. It isn't "how far along" are you, but "how good are you going to be". His major league time will make that call.
    Jay will hit just fine in AA this year, count on that one.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

combined minor league numbers
    23- 12
    69 games
    307 IP.... 235 hits and 136 walks with 333 K's
    14 home runs (1 per 22 innings)

(lance's blog)

Turn Off Ads?