Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Banning 1st-and-3rd Pickoff trick?

Banning 1st-and-3rd Pickoff trick?

http://news.yahoo.com/mlb-poised-pic...7297--mlb.html

Major League Baseball is poised to pick off the much-maligned move, the fake-to-third, throw-to-first ploy that often succeeds only in getting the whole ballpark to shout "Balk!"

First, I've never seen this work. Second, the reason it never works is that pitchers rarely throw a pick off to third base, unless they catch the runner breaking for home.

I don't know why this would bother anyone. How about limiting the pick-off throws to any base? That would actually speed up the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Banning 1st-and-3rd Pickoff trick?

It works every once in a blue moon - as the article says - despite what Marty says. I don't see what the big deal is about this rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I've seen it work. But it is rare. If they want to ban it, it would be fine with me. It usually just delays the game.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

8.05 If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when-

(c) The pitcher, while touching his plate, fails to step directly toward a base before throwing to that base;
    maybe they could start enforcing this one in regards to LHP throwing over to 1st. Seems like that would be more deceptive than this. Just trying to speed up the game, again

It usually is used to see if the other team has some sort of play on. it rarely is used to actually pick off a runner.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

I think the rule should stay as is. The pitcher has every right to hold runners on base no matter how much it annoys the crowd. Unless you are going to ban base stealing, squeeze plays and the hit and run you have to allow the pitcher to hold runners and sniff out plays.

I don't see the point. Sum total, it probably delays playtime less than balls getting loose from the bullpen.

And it's a quirky move that gets the crowd into the game. Leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I don't see the point. Sum total, it probably delays playtime less than balls getting loose from the bullpen.

This
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Sometimes they do it to see if the offense will tip off the bunt or the steal.

All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Plus it gives Marty something to get worked up about.

Yup.

MLB must be really bored if this is on their agenda.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I would rather see them enforce the strikezone as it is defined.

Rules are so malleable, they use to change rules regularly and the public as unaware unless they had the Spalding Catalog

Peruse around his site:

Spalding Baseball

1888 69 rules in the rule book

SIXTY Nine!!

Go here - http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...s/foreword.jsp

Download that monster with ten sections (with up to 20 Sub rules)

It's an evolving thing... and as randy stated... work on the strike zone, that's the HEART of the hitters game, the distance and the mound rules (area, motion, pitches,substances) is the pitchers realm... mess with either of those two aspects and the game will change, change the aforementioned 3rd to 1st.... three years later no one thinks of it

I'd like the game to go on hold and see which part needs adjustment, there is no right strike zone, or motion rule... the results of seasons will define the reality when the rules are made.

The strike zone has been interesting here in Indiana High School Baseball. Pretty consistent for 5 innings and then it magically shrinks.

Turn Off Ads?