Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yup. I've heard three of her albums now, and they're all quality. I'm sure she's had a lot of help from producers, but whatever she's doing, it's working.
    So if it sells then it's working?

2. Turn Off Ads?

http://updates.deadspin.com/post/347...ium=socialflow

I don’t understand all the fuss. Taylor Swift makes training-bra music. Her **** is one step removed from a Fisher Price Little People CD. Every record she sells should come with a complimentary pack of Spree. If you’re over fourteen, you shouldn’t want anything to do with it.
    More at the link!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken but was Taylor Swift really called a good song writer in this thread?
    She's terrific.

As a songwriter- just fantastic.

I'm not comparing her to Mozart; but if you're going to hold up the authors of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as the best of all time, well.....lol

Anyhoo- she's fantastic as a writer. Sure there's some crap. But for someone that young, it isn't just I love, you love me stuff.

She isn't going to win over the Dinosaur Jr or Pavement crowd...but if you lisiten to pop music for melody, you'd be hard pressed to find someone as good.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    YES! LOL

The bit about her lyrics pretty much nails it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    She's terrific.

As a songwriter- just fantastic.

I'm not comparing her to Mozart; but if you're going to hold up the authors of "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as the best of all time, well.....lol

Anyhoo- she's fantastic as a writer. Sure there's some crap. But for someone that young, it isn't just I love, you love me stuff.

She isn't going to win over the Dinosaur Jr or Pavement crowd...but if you lisiten to pop music for melody, you'd be hard pressed to find someone as good.
    I love melody - and her's are about as generic as they come. I don't understand, she's literally not doing anything different than the rest of mainstream artists.

And that's the thing, there is some crap sure, it's mostly ALL crap though! It's stuff a 16 year old girl would write in her notebook during class.

So if it sells then it's working?
    In a way, sure.

In a way, sure.
    I've never associated quality with sales. Ever seen the part of a McDonalds sign that lists how many humburgers they've served?

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Another crummy 80's Pop song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9cNtrrCP0E
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    I love melody - and her's are about as generic as they come. I don't understand, she's literally not doing anything different than the rest of mainstream artists.

And that's the thing, there is some crap sure, it's mostly ALL crap though! It's stuff a 16 year old girl would write in her notebook during class.
    She sold 1.2 million albums this week. Albums.

No, no other mainstream artists are doing that.

Believe me, I LOVE kicking artists* but her melodies are top notch- for a teenager/twenty something, they are as good as it gets. Again, you may not like that genre, and I get it. I'm not a country fan, but she isn't just run of the mill. Having said that, the Never ever getting back together song is terrible, but I don't think she wrote that...

*Radiohead

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    This is going back several years, but one of the worst pop songs ever perpetrated on the radio-listening public was "I Can't Dance" by Genesis. I'd almost be willing to bet it causes seizures.
    Not their best work by a long shot, but, IMHO, not their worst.

"Invisible Touch" was a sell-out tune if there ever was one. The sappy "In Too Deep" didn't do anything for me, either.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

She sold 1.2 million albums this week. Albums.

No, no other mainstream artists are doing that.

Believe me, I LOVE kicking artists* but her melodies are top notch- for a teenager/twenty something, they are as good as it gets. Again, you may not like that genre, and I get it. I'm not a country fan, but she isn't just run of the mill. Having said that, the Never ever getting back together song is terrible, but I don't think she wrote that...

*Radiohead
    Who gives a flying damn how many records she sold? That has nothing to do even remotely with the quality of the music, it just means her label has a good marketing department.

She is completely and utterly run of the mill. Her melodies are quite literally nothing, no different than something say, Katy Perry would write. And for an example, not even a hundredth as good as someone like, say, Radiohead's

I've never associated quality with sales. Ever seen the part of a McDonalds sign that lists how many humburgers they've served?
    Elvis has sold a billion worldwide. So he's no good because McDonald's sells alot of crappy hamburgers?

In all seriousness, McDonald's has a fantastic product. They couldn't sell that many if they didn't.

I see your point, though and I would offer you this: Macarena and Rico Suave sold a ton. Doesn't mean they are good, correct.

But Taylor Swift just doesn't sell a lot of albums. She sells a record number of albums and she does it time after time.

Oh, great. When it comes to Taylor Swift, the Radiohead hater has my back. Maybe I should reconsider.

But seriously, Taylor Swift is a fantastic pop artist. You might not like the style, but in her style, she's amazing regardless of how many albums she sells.

If I had a daughter, I'd rather have her listen to Taylor Swift than listen to Katy Perry.

Elvis has sold a billion worldwide. So he's no good because McDonald's sells alot of crappy hamburgers?

In all seriousness, McDonald's has a fantastic product. They couldn't sell that many if they didn't.

I see your point, though and I would offer you this: Macarena and Rico Suave sold a ton. Doesn't mean they are good, correct.

But Taylor Swift just doesn't sell a lot of albums. She sells a record number of albums and she does it time after time.
    Congrats to Universal Music for having a good marketing division and to whoever developed her image - they did a great job?

Taylor Swift herself? Not so much.

Turn Off Ads?