Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can The Reds Win With Bailey and Cueto?

Re: Can The Reds Win With Bailey and Cueto?

OBM, first ONE HIT shutout since Smiley in '96.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Eh. I fully expect Bailey to perform CPR on the Pirates' offense tomorrow.
    As much as I hate to admit it I'd agree. I'm split on these 2 and have said before Cueto has a shot to be good, Bailey has a much less chance IMO. He looked great for a stretch last season but he is often too hittable. I think he can remain a starter but I doubt he is ever anything more than a #3 or 4 starter at best.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    OBM, first ONE HIT shutout since Smiley in '96.
    That's what I meant. My bad. Thanks.

This is going to sound absurd after a 1 hitter, but not only do I still stand by my original premise that the Reds can't win with both Cueto and Bailey in the rotation, but I am even more convinced after tonight.

Cueto looked great... in the pitcher friendly stadium on a cold and rainy night against a terrible team. I counted at least a half a dozen deep fly balls that most likely would have gotten out in GABP on a normal day.

Now Cueto helped himself by not walking anyone and only giving up one hit. But that's because he knew he could pump his fastball in for strikes and not get hurt. My issue is that he can't have that approach when he pitches in GABP, and history tells us that he doesn't. He will give up homers if he does, and he has when he does. I hope I am wrong, but I see do not Cueto succeeding in the games that he pitches at home, at least not as much as he does on the road.

And just one more time for clarity, I am not saying that Cueto is the same pitcher as Bailey, just that they both are not built for GABP, and it is hurting their development. I think it is time for the Reds to trade one of them and start building a rotation with guys like Arroyo and Leake instead of Bailey and Cueto.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Both guys are talented. Some talented guys make it, others don't. But I know I'd rather be given innings and opportunities to talented, young pitchers than mediocre vets with no upside. It's frustrating, but this is just how it goes by-and-large.
    So that's the only option? Homer Bailey or Kip Wells?

My argument is that it is time for the Reds to build a starting staff that can survive GABP. There are lots of good above average starting pitchers who throw more ground balls than flyballs. The Reds rotation should have as many of those guys as possible.

The Reds are contending this year, the time to be concerned with just "giving innings" to guys is over. It's time to get players that help the team win now.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    This is going to sound absurd after a 1 hitter, but not only do I still stand by my original premise that the Reds can't win with both Cueto and Bailey in the rotation, but I am even more convinced after tonight.

Cueto looked great... in the pitcher friendly stadium on a cold and rainy night against a terrible team. I counted at least a half a dozen deep fly balls that most likely would have gotten out in GABP on a normal day.

Now Cueto helped himself by not walking anyone and only giving up one hit. But that's because he knew he could pump his fastball in for strikes and not get hurt. My issue is that he can't have that approach when he pitches in GABP, and history tells us that he doesn't. He will give up homers if he does, and he has when he does. I hope I am wrong, but I see do not Cueto succeeding in the games that he pitches at home, at least not as much as he does on the road.

And just one more time for clarity, I am not saying that Cueto is the same pitcher as Bailey, just that they both are not built for GABP, and it is hurting their development. I think it is time for the Reds to trade one of them and start building a rotation with guys like Arroyo and Leake instead of Bailey and Cueto.
    C'mon, don't be that guy.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    C'mon, don't be that guy.
    Why live in the present and be happy for Cueto? That's not as fun as being "right" IF Cueto fails later.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Alrighty then, Captain Buzzkill.

Cueto was great tonight. A little bleeder the only hit. I say this team can win with these two pitchers, but in tandem with Arroyo, Harang, and a man name Leake.

Whole starting staff has been coming around very nicely for the last 15 games (even, to some degree, Bailey). I'm starting to think we've got something in Bryan Price.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Whole starting staff has been coming around very nicely for the last 15 games (even, to some degree, Bailey). I'm starting to think we've got something in Bryan Price.
    Agreed. If the staff keeps adjusting like they have been, we might have something here.... finally.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

I'm still pondering the Arizona Spring Training conspiracy
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Show me 15 or 30 more of about the same stretch and I'd fully agree.

I saw this staff put together plenty of runs like this under a man named Richard M. Pole
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Yeah, Bailey and Cueto don't belong in the same sentence.
    I just don't get this. Look at their last 3 outings from the thread Brutus posted. Johnny had one great outing in there while Homer had one bad outing in there. Otherwise, they were nearly identical. A handful of poor outing in the beginning of the season from a young kid is NOT enough to earn the kind of lambasting he's gotten in this thread. Everyone is so quick to dismiss Homer's second half last year due to a couple poor outings. Fickle crowd.

(this wasn't at you specifically reds44...just in general about the quick triggers around here)

High five!

y argument is that it is time for the Reds to build a starting staff that can survive GABP. There are lots of good above average starting pitchers who throw more ground balls than flyballs. The Reds rotation should have as many of those guys as possible.

The Reds are contending this year, the time to be concerned with just "giving innings" to guys is over. It's time to get players that help the team win now.
    High five!

Turn Off Ads?