Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mock Drafts

Re: Mock Drafts

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    The latest Yahoo mock has the following:

For what its worth Gholston and Ellis were both off the board and Rivers went a pick later. Any thoughts?
    They desperately need someone in the trenches that can get to the quarterback.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    The latest Yahoo mock has the following:

For what its worth Gholston and Ellis were both off the board and Rivers went a pick later. Any thoughts?
    That is the typical prognositication from an "expert" that does no homework. The DB area is the least (relative term) of the concerns on defense.

More DBs?!?!?! Argh.

I rank the Bengals needs as follows:

1) DE
    2) DT
    3) S
    4) LB
    5) TE
    6) WR (There isn't much beyond the big 3 and can you count of Chad and Henry?)
    7) RB (We can't possibly draft another RB but unfortunately its currently a big ?)

Anyway, it is starting to look like the top tier DE and DT will all be gone by the time the Bengals pick. The safeties and linebackers in this class don't seem too stellar and can be had in later rounds. What should the Bengals do? I'm sure they want to trade down but that isn't always realistic and this team has too many holes to trade away picks to move up. Do they reach for a DE (say Campbell) or try to fill another need? I was thinking about this considering the WR position and the fact that Malcolm Kelly and Desean Jackson will certainly be available. I know we need defense but what if there isn't an impact defensive player available?

I'm not sure if I even think its a good idea but this draft has me worried that we'll reach for a second tier defensive player to fill a need when a similar player could be had later.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    More DBs?!?!?! Argh.
    I like the pick, even though it doesn't address the biggest need. Phillips is a Miami safety, which more or less speaks for itself.

That being said, Kiper has the Bengals taking Phillip Merling, who is being ranked by many as a fringe 1st/2nd rounder.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I like the pick, even though it doesn't address the biggest need. Phillips is a Miami safety, which more or less speaks for itself.

That being said, Kiper has the Bengals taking Phillip Merling, who is being ranked by many as a fringe 1st/2nd rounder.
    This is the thing that always gets me. I really think you take who you think is the best player. I find it funny when the "experts" riddicule a team for taking a player out of "slot". I also find it interesting when describing a player who thay say is ready to step in and play right away and play for a long time as only a mid to late first rounder.

Draft rankings are about as inperfect of as science as there is out there. If the rakings are so good then there wouldn't be first round busts and you wouldn't find diamons in the rough in the later rounds. I also find it ironic that some of the best defensive players in the game today weren't top 10 picks (Lewis, Reed, Merriman, Bob Sanders, etc.).

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Here's another link to several mock drafts.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Here's another link to several mock drafts.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/
    Interesting. Their main mock draft has the Bengals taking Dorsey at #9. Man, how badass would that be?!

I would soil my pants.

Here's another one that has Dorsey still available at #9 and the Bengals taking him. It was updated Monday, March 3.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Bengals fans will jump for joy if both the Falcons and Raiders eschew drafting a defensive tackle. That's because neither Glenn Dorsey nor Sedrick Ellis will go sixth, seventh or eighth - they don't fit in the 3-4 - so Cincinnati will have the opportunity to take the guy who doesn't go to Kansas City.

I know Dorsey has major injury issues, but I don't think he makes it past the Bengals, especially after they lost out in the Shaun Rogers sweepstakes. Cincinnati ranked 24th versus the run and managed just 22 sacks in 2007, and I think it's safe to say that adding a monstrous defensive tackle like Dorsey to the front four would vastly improve both of those statistics.

Turn Off Ads?