Turn Off Ads?

Thread: First to third...

First to third...

The Reds lead the league at going from first to third on a single, and Heisey didn't hesitate when he had a chance to do it in the eighth.

"That's just been the mentality the whole season," Heisey said. "Since spring training, it's been driven into us. They've emphasized it. It puts pressure on the defense, especially if they're making a long throw."
    During the All-Star game, you could hear Brandon Phillips cheering base runner Scott Rolen, "That a way! First to third! That is the way we do it in Cincinnati!"

Maybe it is the Pete Rose/Frank Robinson in me, but I love aggressive baseball. The Reds are not just playing well, they are taking it to their opponents.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: First to third...

Good post Spitball. Many players on many teams are content w/ station to station baseball. Not the Reds with Scott Rolen leading the way.....and it becomes cultural for the way they run the bases and play defense.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

While this team has done well statistically it's been the little things like this that has pushed them to the brink of having the best record in the NL heading into September.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Maybe it is the Pete Rose/Frank Robinson in me, but I love aggressive baseball. The Reds are not just playing well, they are taking it to their opponents.
    Same here Spitball. I'm loving it!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

They have been doing it with intelligence, as well. Yes, they are being aggressive in the Pete Rose mold - and like Pete, it would seem that a lot of these guys have a lot of field smarts that lets them know when to successfully take these chances.
    Gone are the days when scrappy fielders would dive for a ball 20 feet behind him.

Turn Off Ads?