Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: In retrospect....

In retrospect....

Were there any players that you idolized as a kid only to find out later they kinda stunk? Or, at least, they weren't as good as you made them out to be in your young and cracker jack buzzed mind.

Mine is Cesar Geronimo, mostly because I have a foul ball he hit in 1980. We were in the green section of Riverfront and it plopped down infront of us. While he wasn't a dreadfull player he wasn't exactly the lynchpin of the BRM that I envisioned him to be back then.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: In retrospect....

I idolized Dom Zanni only to realize that he was not half as good as Howie Nunn

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Tracy Jones, Tim Spehr, Lee Mazzilli and Jay Johnstone.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Johnny Edwards, Deron Johnson, Leo Cardenas.

I don't know if they really stunk, but as a child I thought that they could do no wrong until later when I learned of guys named Johnny Bench, Brooks Robinson and of course many shortstops since.

I thought Jacob Brumfield was pretty good back in the day. I have no idea why.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I thought Jacob Brumfield was pretty good back in the day. I have no idea why.
    Todd Benzinger..... Nothing more needs to be said.

Growing up in the 70s, I thought the members of the BRM walked on water. I later read stories that proved that they were quite human, and it was disappointing. Same goes for the 1990 Reds. I loved that bunch, but after the Charlie Sheen stories came out, I questioned the fact that I even rooted for them. As Jerry Seinfeld said, we're basically rooting for the uniforms.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Bobby Tolan and Alex Johnson. They could play, but not the best personalites.

Johnny Edwards was my first favorite player. When he stopped hitting, it really hurt.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Growing up in the 70s, I thought the members of the BRM walked on water. I later read stories that proved that they were quite human, and it was disappointing.
    I've read the stories, too, and my head knows about the shortcomings of the players on the BRM, but in my heart they still walk on water. I know it is not logical, but it just "is" for me.
    I pretty much overrated all of the Reds when I first became a fan, including "Little" Leo Cardenas, Deron Johnson, Tommy Harper, Gary Nolan, Lee May, Tommy Helms, you name it. I agree with Randy---Tolan and A.J. could play ball, but they left something to be desired as people.
    From everything I 've read, the two best "people" to ever put on a Reds uniform may have been Tony Perez and Sparky Anderson.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Johnny Edwards was my first favorite player. When he stopped hitting, it really hurt.
    Yeah. Edwards was a three time all star, two time Gold Glove winner, but his hitting suddenly fell off a cliff in 1966. I never heard what happened--did he simply wear out from catching even though he wasn't that old?

I've heard that he was a heavy drinker, although I never heard that when I was a kid. Don't know if it factored in or not.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I've heard that he was a heavy drinker, although I never heard that when I was a kid. Don't know if it factored in or not.
    Now that you mention that, I believe that Jim Bouton in "Ball Four" may have written something about Edwards's drinking too much and "calling some long home runs"-it may have been in the lyrics of "Proud To Be An Astro", the song Bouton wrote that the Houston players sang during the 1969 NL West title chase. Man, I haven't read "Ball Four" in 30 years.

Bret Boone. I was young and naieve.

I loved Eddie Milner. I constantly fought with my Dad, insisting that he was better than Eric Davis when Davis first came up. I guess for a couple of years he was. Fact is, those Reds teams were atrocious and, as a 10 year old kid, I had to find someone to like. It ws pretty saddening when I found out he was a coke-head. Glad he is cleaned up now.

Turn Off Ads?