Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trent predicts Daryl Thompson as the next top prospect called up

Trent predicts Daryl Thompson as the next top prospect called up

Thinking out loud 6.3
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008, 09:21 AM EST

Now that Jay Bruce and Homer Bailey have been called up to the big leagues, whos the next guy that's still in the minor leagues that everyone in the world but the idiots who actually watch them play games know is ready for the big time but behind held down for no reason other than sheer incompetence?

I nominate Daryl Thompson. I was pretty early on the Thompson bandwagon. Last night he continued his roll at Class AAA. In 14 innings with the Bats, Thompson has allowed one earned run and 10 hits with 12 strikeouts.

You want to sound smarter than your friends, here are some other guys to be claiming everyone's an idiot for not screaming for them to come up RIGHT NOW! 40 man roster, contracts, positions, current makeup of the team and all those real-life things be damned!

Reliever Josh Roenicke -- also recently called up to Louisville. He's pitched one game for the Bats, striking out two batters. The right-hander was 4-2 with a 3.27 ERA in 22 games.

Right-handed starter Jordan Smith -- 1-1 with a 4.76 ERA with the Lookouts, but 6-4 and throwing 90-95. Maybe he could use a few weeks of seasoning.

Lefty Travis Wood 1-1 with 1.50 ERA. His fastball is in the low 90s, high 80s, but has a great change and has added a cutter.

Lefty reliever Pedro Viola's numbers aren't impressive 0-3 with a 5.79, but he's hitting 95 and has a nasty slider.

http://www.thelotd.com/ctrent/blog

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Trent predicts Daryl Thompson as the next top prospect called up

Early on the Thompson bandwagon?

Give me a break.

Not if he had anything negative to say about the Kearns/Lopez trade, which I'm sure he lambasted many times.

There were very few, maybe 1 for every 100 people who commented about the trade, "who were early on the Thompson bandwagon".

One that comes to mind is M2. He saw the trade exactly for what it was at the time. I can't think of anyone else who did, though there might have been a couple of others. C. Trent certainly was not one of them. He couldn't have been more wrong about it.

Nice try to take credit though, Trent.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-04-2008 at 05:56 PM.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=99

Muahaha.. I'd say that qualifies. But thats just me. 07-17-2006, 09:30 PM. But I've been a fan since his days in Montreal.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Krivsky said from the beginning that he wasn't just a throw in.

Quote Originally Posted by HBP View Post
    Krivsky said from the beginning that he wasn't just a throw in.
    Which is exactly why giving knee-jerk reactions to trades such as that are ignorant. I was one of the few who LOVED the trade on this board. I LOVED this trade. Now, did I expect Daryl to become this good? Heck no. But to criticize a trade in which most people on the board have hardly seen pitch is, as I said, ignorant.

I have been a fan as well, I suppose I could track down numerous quotes about not forgetting this kid as a part of the deal but I don't think it's necc. for me to do so right now.

Yet you always hear about how Krivsky couldn't find pitching.

Arroyo, Volquez, Burton, Bray, Thompson, Jukich, Mcbeth (who I still like), Herrera, Manuel, Smit (the jury is still out)......and those are non-drafted, non-fa pitchers and off the top of my head
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=99

Muahaha.. I'd say that qualifies. But thats just me. 07-17-2006, 09:30 PM. But I've been a fan since his days in Montreal.
    You, cincyinco, makes two.

We're not going to get any more of these types of deals. I don't see where Walt Jockety has the ability to pay attention to that kind of a detail of a trade. He seems like he just likes to cash his paychecks and try to make the big splash on the free-agent market.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Which is exactly why giving knee-jerk reactions to trades such as that are ignorant. I was one of the few who LOVED the trade on this board. I LOVED this trade. Now, did I expect Daryl to become this good? Heck no. But to criticize a trade in which most people on the board have hardly seen pitch is, as I said, ignorant.

Make it 3, DT.

FYI, if you want to read some perfect comments on the trade when it happened, go back and look at M2's. He covered all aspects to the letter seeing the value for where it was.

I still can't believe that some people still won't concede that this was a trade that was in favor of the REDS from the getgo.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I have been a fan as well, I suppose I could track down numerous quotes about not forgetting this kid as a part of the deal but I don't think it's necc. for me to do so right now.

Yet you always hear about how Krivsky couldn't find pitching.

Arroyo, Volquez, Burton, Bray, Thompson, Jukich, Mcbeth (who I still like), Herrera, Manuel, Smit (the jury is still out)......and those are non-drafted, non-fa pitchers and off the top of my head

It's truly amazing how someone who did that in such a short time would be conceived by the majority as having done a poor job. (From what I've seen on REDSZONE, though, the majority feel that the organization is worse off with Jockety and will miss Krivsky.)

You have to make some mistakes in order to do well. What he did well is far better than his mimimal mistakes.

It also makes it that much worse how Jockety connived his way into the organization.

I HATE with a passion Walt Jockety. Can I say that here?
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 06-04-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I still can't believe that some people still won't concede that this was a trade that was in favor of the REDS from the getgo.
    I was pretty neutral on it at the time.

However three years later I think it's safe to call this trade a big win for the Reds. For two below average position players we got a stud pitching prospect, a quality left handed reliever, and Majeski may still come around.

I knew all the time that Thompson was the key to the Kearns/Lopez trade.

I am just glad to see people say things in a positive way aboutthat deal. god I so hated the arguments. I liked the deal but knew very little on Thompson. But I have followed his progress with a great smug smile on my face lol.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Daryl Thompson

Homer will get a few starts. if he doesn't get it done and thompson tears up AAA like he did AA then thompson will get a shot at being our #5.

No point in calling up Thompson. Why bring him up to be the long man out of the bullpen?
    Let him stay in AAA and being a starter.

The guy only has 14 IP at AAA. I think the author is pushing it a bit to say he's being held down due to incompetence.

Looks like the Reds might have some pitching to trade to fill some other holes, which is a great thing.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    No point in calling up Thompson. Why bring him up to be the long man out of the bullpen?
    Let him stay in AAA and being a starter.

The guy only has 14 IP at AAA. I think the author is pushing it a bit to say he's being held down due to incompetence.

Looks like the Reds might have some pitching to trade to fill some other holes, which is a great thing.
    I agree. I see absolutely no reason for Thompson to see the Majors in 2008. I don't think he should even be in AAA, yet.

The most important thing for Thompson is for him to get his innings in. He's had one year of significant innings since his surgery. Continue to stretch him out in the Minors over 2008 and half of 2009 before letting Dusty have him throwing 114 pitches every outing. He's still only 3 years removed from major surgery and I'd like to see his strength built up some more.

Turn Off Ads?