Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20 more days........sellers or buyers?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

20 more days........sellers or buyers?

I see the Reds as sellers. I don't see much out there to buy THAT THE REDS CAN AFFORD.

Maybe they improve the team for next year.

Remember, there's always next season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 20 more days........sellers or buyers?

agree this team cant win

Basically neither unless they fall more then 12-15 games out which I don't see them doing. I think when it is all said and done we will finish like 5-8 games out and the mag't will just say we had some "unlucky" bumps throughout the season that was the difference is us winnig the divsiion and finishing 4th.

neither.

I kind of agree. And I've had this theory most of the season, but haven't posted it yet.

I think management sees the Brewers and Cardinals going all out for the playoffs this year and probably blowing their farm system wad, because the BrewCrew loses Fielder and the Cards lose Pujols after the season.

Reds management stands pat, and believes with Cordero's contract gone, maybe this offseason they can add a needed piece or two, and the young guys should rebound from the 2011 off year.

Nobody would want to buy what we would want to sell, largely explaining why we would be sellers come selling day.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I kind of agree. And I've had this theory most of the season, but haven't posted it yet.

I think management sees the Brewers and Cardinals going all out for the playoffs this year and probably blowing their farm system wad, because the BrewCrew loses Fielder and the Cards lose Pujols after the season.

Reds management stands pat, and believes with Cordero's contract gone, maybe this offseason they can add a needed piece or two, and the young guys should rebound from the 2011 off year.
    Assuming that the Cards do lose Pujols in the offseason, that $16 mil he gets paid will get paid to someone to fill his spot. Berkman could be brought back for a bit of a bump in salary as well. The Cards will look vastly different if Pujols leaves, but who knows if they'll be competitive or not. And although the Cards lack depth in the minors they do boast two of the minors best pitching prospects in Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    Assuming that the Cards do lose Pujols in the offseason, that $16 mil he gets paid will get paid to someone to fill his spot. Berkman could be brought back for a bit of a bump in salary as well. The Cards will look vastly different if Pujols leaves, but who knows if they'll be competitive or not. And although the Cards lack depth in the minors they do boast two of the minors best pitching prospects in Shelby Miller and Carlos Martinez.
    Being a top minor league pitching prospect doesn't mean much these days in terms of the majors. .

Miller will be gone if they do a deadline deal. He's all they got to offer.

I agree Prince will go elsewhere, but Albert will be a card next season

Being a top minor league pitching prospect doesn't mean much these days in terms of the majors. .

Miller will be gone if they do a deadline deal. He's all they got to offer.
    As much as you want to believe it, this is just not the case. Martinez was recently ranked as the #18 prospect on BA's midseason prospect list with Shelby Miller at #7. The Cards have plenty of prospects outside of these two in which to make marginal upgrades at positions of weakness. There is no way Shelby Miller or Martinez are dealt for a JJ Hardy rental. I seriously doubt the Cards deal much this deadline anyway as they need these cost controlled players if they are to afford Pujols.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    I agree Prince will go elsewhere, but Albert will be a card next season
    Reds win either way.

No way Pujols continues to put up the same type of numbers. And he's already showing again and injury signs.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    As much as you want to believe it, this is just not the case. Martinez was recently ranked as the #18 prospect on BA's midseason prospect list with Shelby Miller at #7. The Cards have plenty of prospects outside of these two in which to make marginal upgrades at positions of weakness. There is no way Shelby Miller or Martinez are dealt for a JJ Hardy rental. I seriously doubt the Cards deal much this deadline anyway as they need these cost controlled players if they are to afford Pujols.
    BA is wrong more often than right. But enjoy.

I am not sure yet, but I think we need to be one or the other. To sit on our hands and do nothing is inexcusable.

Too early to do either except send out inquiries. We have 16 games before the end of July. 13 of them are at home. We play STL(3), at PIT(3), ATL(3), NYM(4), SF(3). Every team we play is above .500. We should have a good idea where we are by the last week of the month. If our position dictates that we sell, we might as well go for broke and trade any piece we can save for Votto, Bruce, Cozart, Stubbs, Cueto, Leake, Chapman, & Bailey. I am on the fence regarding Phillips and Heisey, but would trade either of them with the proper return. By the way, with all these home games the rest of July, we have MANY more road games than home games in Aug & Sept.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Basically neither unless they fall more then 12-15 games out which I don't see them doing. I think when it is all said and done we will finish like 5-8 games out and the mag't will just say we had some "unlucky" bumps throughout the season that was the difference is us winnig the divsiion and finishing 4th.
    And for this reason the Reds Management will do nothing during the off-season

Turn Off Ads?